High School eSports

Bucketsofjoy

Reaction score
Handicap
7.2 USGA
So our school, along with many others, have added eSports as an extracurricular activity. Currently, as sort of determined by our state, we're offering Rocket League, League of Legends and SMITE. There was an attempt to offer Fortnite to high schools, but our state association stepped in very quickly to say that we weren't going to be a part of that.

I have some thoughts, but I'd like to get a conversation going first. What say you?

Is it a good idea? Is it different from having regular sports or activities? What kind of games do you think should be offered, if at all?

Texas is starting it, and Oklahoma is currently researching is as part of the secondary activities association

Texas is starting it, and Oklahoma is currently researching is as part of the secondary activities association
^ Just the guy I was hoping would chime in.

Sounds interesting. Figured a lot of the top esports games involve shooting aspects so not sure how that would go over at a school.

I don't see it as any different from other school clubs or activities, but the name is a joke. There is nothing "sports" related to sitting at a keyboard.

Funny, we voted on this recently for our school district.

I am not sure why the state says fortnite is not allowed, but then I don't know all of the games the kids are playing now.

In our school, we created an after school program moderated by a teacher for students that would like to be involved in gaming events. We, actually, are using school resources and money to offer this program to our students. I am a very big believer in the fact that having kids involved with school activities, even games such as these, is a true benefit to the students. We have some students that would never have the ability to play such games at home due to finances, many students that come from broken homes and thus to keep them in our school longer is better, and those students that want to be a part of a competitive scene, but just don't have the athletic ability to achieve on the sports field.

Our board has been shown through many studies in our school, students who are involved in ANY after-school activity has increased their GPAs dramatically. Also, we have increased attendance and fewer guidance issues for students involved in after-school activities. I will gladly pay our teachers additional funds to help our students in any way possible. If having an after-school program of playing video games helps than I am all for it.

I refuse to call it a sport. I understand that computers/electronics are now the way of life & that these kids are lot smarter then me when it comes to it, but to get credit for playing video games?:unsure: There needs to be some kind of balance of actual physical activity to go along with it. Would I support my daughter if she decided to do it, yes but there would be stipulations. I guess I'm old school & still believe in hard work instead of playing video games for a living.

I refuse to call it a sport. I understand that computers/electronics are now the way of life & that these kids are lot smarter then me when it comes to it, but to get credit for playing video games?:unsure: There needs to be some kind of balance of actual physical activity to go along with it. Would I support my daughter if she decided to do it, yes but there would be stipulations. I guess I'm old school & still believe in hard work instead of playing video games for a living.
For what its worth, it really is more than just sitting on their ass playing games. Most of the "professional" gamers even have workout plans.

Also, you offer me a stipend to coach eSports? I'm ******* in.

Absolutely zero issues with it. With how much trouble young people can get in to these days, anything to keep them focused and out of trouble sounds great to me. Also I like how ANYONE can participate. The stereotype of a gamer is just that, a stereotype. I'm a pretty athletic and in shape individual but I love video games and still play them as a 28 year old with a fiance. One of my best friends from my hometown has become a powerlifter and is more in shape than anyone I've ever met but if you ask him if he wants to play video games, he's always in.

And while it may not be a sport in a traditional (athletic) sense to some, the amount of time and effort top players in the world put in for stuff like this is the same type of dedication you see in others in athletic sports. I completely get the argument against calling it sports but I disagree with it as I'm sure others would disagree with me :)

From what I have experienced / learned, nearly any reasonable school based activity is beneficial for those that choose to participate. Agree that "sports" is a big leap in this space, but so much better than not having the option.

For what its worth, it really is more than just sitting on their ass playing games. Most of the "professional" gamers even have workout plans.

Also, you offer me a stipend to coach eSports? I'm ******* in.
I did not know this about the work out plans. We don't have much if any of it here where I'm at that I'm aware of. I'm in total agreement with activities to keep kids out of trouble & be more engaged with others.

Personally I think it is ridiculous, the kids are already on their phones and computers enough in school. I get the ones who are less advantaged so we are offering them an opportunity to participate and providing an after school activity and hopefully keeping them off the streets and out of trouble. Those that are gifted in games and making money doing it are not or won't be staying in school anyway more than likely. As far as it being a sport, no not a sport. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

My nephews' school just west of OKC is starting one. They are coming up with costs right now to see if it can be done within a reasonable cost.

Personally I think it is ridiculous, the kids are already on their phones and computers enough in school. I get the ones who are less advantaged so we are offering them an opportunity to participate and providing an after school activity and hopefully keeping them off the streets and out of trouble. Those that are gifted in games and making money doing it are not or won't be staying in school anyway more than likely. As far as it being a sport, no not a sport. https://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

I totally get where you are coming from, and when this was brought to my committee before we brought to the full board I had some reservations. I chair the athletic/student affairs and curriculum committees in our district. I promised an open mind and thankfully those educators and responsible for our students every day were able to convince me of the importance. We also had to convince the public the same when using tax dollars for this type of program. Please understand we are a DiLE school, so our curriculum is one to one and has a great deal of involvement of computers in our students' everyday life. The world of education and in part our society has changed greatly with the computer being as important or more important to every student than textbooks were to us back in the day. We don't pull out the textbook anymore, we pull out the computer. By the way that is a good thing, not a bad thing. Our students are so much more advanced than we were 20 years ago.

As to the conversation of esports being a sport. Not to take this topic to another area, but yes I would classify some parts of gaming a sport. By you link the definition of sport includes "An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively." We all understand competitive gaming is a skill that is governed by a set of rules and undertaken competitively. The biggest argument people make why esports/gaming is not a sport is the physical exertion section. Nope, the players are not using their legs or certain muscles in their arms. However, I would argue that the intense level of brain activity absolutely necessary to play competitively would constitute a great physical exertion. The fact that those individuals have to think and react faster than 99% of the people in the world shows me how skillful the competitive gaming world is. For the rest of us, if you really play in competitive spheres you will be tired after a few hours of play. So, yes, I would say esports is a sport.

The world of education and in part our society has changed greatly with the computer being as important or more important to every student than textbooks were to us back in the day. We don't pull out the textbook anymore, we pull out the computer. By the way that is a good thing, not a bad thing. Our students are so much more advanced than we were 20 years ago.
I don't want to get far off the subject, and by no means want to insult you, but this statement is so wrong. And I will give you just a couple examples.
1. Kids in school can't even write their name. They print.
2. They can't add 63+24= 87 with out doing 14 steps to get the correct answer.
3. There are NO kids working at any fast food restaurant that know how to count change back. (simple math skill) And God forbid you give them $12.27 for a bill that is $12.17, they don't know what to do other than to say you gave me to much money with a dumb look on their face.

I'm sure there are plenty of kids who can do all of this but the majority cannot. I would be if you took away their phones and computers for a week you would see a strong decline in the math grades.

I don't want to get far off the subject, and by no means want to insult you, but this statement is so wrong. And I will give you just a couple examples.
3. There are NO kids working at any fast food restaurant that know how to count change back. (simple math skill) And God forbid you give them $12.27 for a bill that is $12.17, they don't know what to do other than to say you gave me to much money with a dumb look on their face.

I'm sure there are plenty of kids who can do all of this but the majority cannot. I would be if you took away their phones and computers for a week you would see a strong decline in the math grades.
I absolutely disagree that the majority can't do most of these things.

I'll get off your lawn now.

I absolutely disagree that the majority can't do most of these things.

I'll get off your lawn now.
I will just leave this here and let it go. This pretty much explains everything.

I will just leave this here and let it go. This pretty much explains everything.

I actually interact with the kids on an every single day basis, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Is it a good idea? I don't know. My last kid graduated high school last year so I no longer have a vested interest in what the school does. And I will say that I was one of those parents that tried to work with my son's teachers to ensure his education and behavior met expectations.

Anyway, I guess as long as there are safeguards put in place to protect the kids (i.e. keep their minds on the game) it's probably not a bad idea. Involvement may help keep kids out of trouble.

I'm not yelling at clouds here.:LOL:

You know I love you snicks :)

we’re starting to get pretty loose with the definition of sport

On this topic. I work for a company that builds computer ls and servers. One of our biggest market segments is K-12 education. Our school districts are typically your smaller districts or very rural. So, we don't see the trend as it's initially being adopted. But, I'd say starting last year we started getting countless inquiries on eSports machines for varsity programs.

In fact, as I type this, I have one of our mid-tier systems sitting behind me.

20200218_140153.jpg

I think it's a great idea, with the pro circuit and options, why not set it up for the kids to start in their school at an early age

Gaming is huge, why not do it through school? At least maybe it will get somewhat organized and give kids who aren't otherwise athletic an outlet to do something for school. Thats not to say that athletes wouldn't play but it could give kids who aren't as gifted at ball sports an option. There is professional gaming so why not?

I think this is a good thing really. You have no idea how annoyed I get seeing my kid lug a giant backpack around when all she’ll actually need in the work force is a laptop or a tool box (or both) kids need to be exposed to new experiences and team work, even in a virtual space, is an excellent skill to learn.

On this topic. I work for a company that builds computer ls and servers. One of our biggest market segments is K-12 education. Our school districts are typically your smaller districts or very rural. So, we don't see the trend as it's initially being adopted. But, I'd say starting last year we started getting countless inquiries on eSports machines for varsity programs.

In fact, as I type this, I have one of our mid-tier systems sitting behind me.

View attachment 8928309

you know. If you need a tester I’ve got a home lab that needs some help ??

Back