High School Golf Thread

same new kid as before, or a different one? Anymore hidden gems and all of a sudden this young team is gonna have expectations!
Yessir, officially enrolled now. We should have 2 low 70's, 1 upper 70's, and 1 low 80's this year, and then return 3 of those 4 next year.

Also coached my 8th graders today and had 2 shoot 80's and 1 low 90's....

We will be in the hunt sooner rather than later.

The move in is coming 👀

Super pleased with my three freshmen, they’re going to all be low 90’s by years end, in tournaments. Also have an 8th grade who shot 78 the other day from 6500. Return 4 starters and add him next year? Look out. 🔥🔥
Are they not able to play as a 8th grader?

We kicked our “fall” season (moved to now because of Covid) this week. Looking forward to reporting some match results soon.

Also, my JH boys finished 1, 2, 3, 5, and 18 today. Girls 2, 5, 10, 12, 13

That would cost them a year of eligibility in HS. But, 9th grade can play down to JH.
That sucks! One of my favorite memories from HS golf was playing my first varsity meet with my brother( a senior) as an 8th grader. Made me comfortable while trying to beat him.

Well, had a new golfer enroll today.

First swing was 313...carry...so...........

Such talent! At that age I had never even swung a club.

Your team sounds stacked. Some young talent there.

Also, my JH boys finished 1, 2, 3, 5, and 18 today. Girls 2, 5, 10, 12, 13
Solid! Gotta be fun to see the results of a lot of work on your part. Good luck this season!

Your team sounds stacked. Some young talent there.
Getting there. Lots of puppies. Boys will qualify this year as I team I think, but we will be much better next year, then the following one I think we can make a run at the private schools.

Girls are senior laden and will qualify again and have a shot at a runner up this year potentially, if I can get them to realize that.

Future is bright, and finally I again have a group of youth who WANT to get better, which means I've been able to cut loose some do-nothing juniors and seniors who are just trouble or lazy.

Solid! Gotta be fun to see the results of a lot of work on your part. Good luck this season!
Its nice to have a JH coach who makes it fun for them. Its all that matters in JH!

Its nice to have a JH coach who makes it fun for them. Its all that matters in JH!
So true! Funny how many coaches miss this. Not limited to golf. If you can get kids to enjoy practicing & make it fun early on, you can do so much more later.

Such talent! At that age I had never even swung a club.

What is that thing (a wood box/case?) a few feet in front of the player making swings ?

Yessir, officially enrolled now. We should have 2 low 70's, 1 upper 70's, and 1 low 80's this year, and then return 3 of those 4 next year.

Also coached my 8th graders today and had 2 shoot 80's and 1 low 90's....

We will be in the hunt sooner rather than later.

Wow! Great looking team!
My son is a freshman and in his his first year of school golf. We are a small school that puts no emphasis on the golf team. Hopefully this will be a great learning experience for him.

What is that thing (a wood box/case?) a few feet in front of the player making swings ?
It’s them driving a golf ball through wood.

Well, had a new golfer enroll today.

First swing was 313...carry...so...........
Oh boy!!! Feeling excited for you and the team! Imagine the impact he’ll have on the underclassmen!

Oh boy!!! Feeling excited for you and the team! Imagine the impact he’ll have on the underclassmen!
Its already begun, he's taken a couple of the 8th graders under his wing and my good Junior and Freshman have migrated his way during practices. They're going to learn work ethic, and I can't say how massive that is.

Getting there. Lots of puppies. Boys will qualify this year as I team I think, but we will be much better next year, then the following one I think we can make a run at the private schools.

Girls are senior laden and will qualify again and have a shot at a runner up this year potentially, if I can get them to realize that.

Future is bright, and finally I again have a group of youth who WANT to get better, which means I've been able to cut loose some do-nothing juniors and seniors who are just trouble or lazy.
I know coaching HS Tennis and personally with my son in HS soccer it’s so exciting as a coach and parent knowing what’s to come if everyone stays together. The junior and senior years become SO much fun.

I know coaching HS Tennis and personally with my son in HS soccer it’s so exciting as a coach and parent knowing what’s to come if everyone stays together. The junior and senior years become SO much fun.
For sure. It’s also a massive relief to me to not have to grind through this year like I expected to, and to let the door hit some on the way out because I don’t have to beg them to fill out the roster anymore. I’ve never been afraid to start freshmen, but this group has surpassed already where I expected them to be by years end. I believe one will be consistent mid 80’s by seasons end, the other low 90’s. Then FINALLY give me another summer with kids that WANT to go work with me, and man....

I’ll add, I also have both boys and girls teams working with a golf mental coach now, and he and I have sort of reinvigorated each other since meeting. It’s been great, and will only get better.

For sure. It’s also a massive relief to me to not have to grind through this year like I expected to, and to let the door hit some on the way out because I don’t have to beg them to fill out the roster anymore. I’ve never been afraid to start freshmen, but this group has surpassed already where I expected them to be by years end. I believe one will be consistent mid 80’s by seasons end, the other low 90’s. Then FINALLY give me another summer with kids that WANT to go work with me, and man....

I’ll add, I also have both boys and girls teams working with a golf mental coach now, and he and I have sort of reinvigorated each other since meeting. It’s been great, and will only get better.
That's cool! A couple of years ago I had a yoga instructor (also the art teacher at our school) give the kids a lesson in mental aspects - breath control, staying calm under pressure, etc. It was very helpful that the #1 varsity player (the only varsity guy to show up BTW) echoed everything she said. "You guys gotta do this!"

I wish we could have continued these sessions - most HS kids need to hear this over and over and....

Our move in has re-invigorated some of the older kids who were on the outs, and lit a fire under my freshmen and 8th grader

Best part is as good as he is, he LOVES helping those who want help. And he’s a spectacular crap talker so he fits in great with the other boys:ROFLMAO:

I’ve finally this weekend let myself realize it really happened and they did move, and I’ve got him for 3 years now.

I think we can win one in the next couple years if they have the summers I believe we will.

Taking full varsity and JV girls teams out today for a tournament...in the rain....:(

Course that historically gives my girls fits so we shall see how it goes. Will update tonight.

My son got interested in the game at age 11, which also got me interested. He played four years of varsity golf in high school, and got to play some pretty nice courses too.

Girls...had an experience in the rain. Hahaha

Started raining sideways and they called it. Tallied based on first 9. We finished 3rd of 20 teams and played bad by our standards. JV girls actually finished 10th, super proud of them.

Boys play tomorrow, move in doesn’t become eligible until Friday so this is basically a “let’s go get the puppies some reps” tournament and I’m starting 3 freshmen.

That move in though? Good grief. 👀

Boys were a wreck this week. Started three freshmen on a tough track and it ate them up. It happens though, they’re puppies. Good news out transfer has been cleared by the state to begin competing 4/6...which is the day after our conference tournament :(

Girls though shot 359 as a team yesterday in big school (bigger than us) tournament and that’s with an atrocious day on the greens. 340’s in 4A will compete for it. Team that won shot 296 folks. Let that sink in.

Boys were a wreck this week. Started three freshmen on a tough track and it ate them up. It happens though, they’re puppies. Good news out transfer has been cleared by the state to begin competing 4/6...which is the day after our conference tournament :(

Girls though shot 359 as a team yesterday in big school (bigger than us) tournament and that’s with an atrocious day on the greens. 340’s in 4A will compete for it. Team that won shot 296 folks. Let that sink in.

Tough not to have him for conference but as long as he is eligible for sectional you guys can still produce some magic this season. Every rep those freshman get will help them next year.

Back