High School Golf Thread

Tough not to have him for conference but as long as he is eligible for sectional you guys can still produce some magic this season. Every rep those freshman get will help them next year.
It’s funny the different terminology in different areas, we don’t do sectionals instead it’s just regionals then state. But you’re totally correct, he’s the difference in us qualifying or not, but, putting up these higher scores won’t help us for who they’ll put in regionals with us when the top 3 teams advance from each region, fortunately the saving Grace is it’s our home course and he shot 67 on it the other day. :oops:

And I’d just like to point out how nuts 296 is in girls HS golf. They were a ton of fun to watch hit golf balls.

It’s funny the different terminology in different areas, we don’t do sectionals instead it’s just regionals then state. But you’re totally correct, he’s the difference in us qualifying or not, but, putting up these higher scores won’t help us for who they’ll put in regionals with us when the top 3 teams advance from each region, fortunately the saving Grace is it’s our home course and he shot 67 on it the other day. :oops:

that’s funny, as I was typing I was thinking to myself they may not even do sectionals like we do here lol. My high school hosted the regional at our home course and the golf team took advantage some years where they may not have qualified for state at a different course. I could definitely see the same for you all!

just to add to context on that girls score. The girls team at my high school won state in 2012 with 4 college golfers out of 5 spots. We are a suburb school with about 800 enrollment. They beat out all the big schools that year.

They beat the next closest team by 15 strokes over 2 days. They had a single round score of 306. Granted the pressure of a state title and course difficulty is different than a standard meet. But to be a whole 10 shots better than that is ABSURD.

that’s funny, as I was typing I was thinking to myself they may not even do sectionals like we do here lol. My high school hosted the regional at our home course and the golf team took advantage some years where they may not have qualified for state at a different course. I could definitely see the same for you all!

just to add to context on that girls score. The girls team at my high school won state in 2012 with 4 college golfers out of 5 spots. We are a suburb school with about 800 enrollment. They beat out all the big schools that year.

They beat the next closest team by 15 strokes over 2 days. They had a single round score of 306. Granted the pressure of a state title and course difficulty is different than a standard meet. But to be a whole 10 shots better than that is ABSURD.
Yeah, it drew an audible “holy hell!” from me, that’s for sure. That’s beyond golfing their ball! Crazy low!

Well, the way it’s shaking out this year so far in our class with scores...the girls have a legitimate shot, especially with state at our track.

The boys are about to unleash our all-world sophomore on everyone and drop team scores 30+ shots in doing so :ROFLMAO:. They don’t have a shot at a runner up this year, but if we can qualify as a team we could easily top 5. Luckily, our regional is on our course so no excuses.

Iwas thinking the same thing. low 300's is a fantastic score - especially from a girls' team. 296 is.... crazy low.

Yeah, it drew an audible “holy hell!” from me, that’s for sure. That’s beyond golfing their ball! Crazy low!

How many of those girls will be D1 players of note? Will we be seeing them in the NCAA's?

And if not - that would tell you how good you have to be to 1) play for a top school, and 2) how much better you have to be to play on the LPGA tour.

Iwas thinking the same thing. low 300's is a fantastic score - especially from a girls' team. 296 is.... crazy low.

How many of those girls will be D1 players of note? Will we be seeing them in the NCAA's?

And if not - that would tell you how good you have to be to 1) play for a top school, and 2) how much better you have to be to play on the LPGA tour.
Those girls have gone 298, 304, 306, and 296 this year. I believe the three upperclassmen are signed, one big school and two small school. Honestly, odds are you’ll never hear of any of them. Skilled high school golfer and skilled college golfer are worlds apart, skilled college to LPGA is an even larger gap.

In girls golf, low 90’s to mid 80’s will get you a scholly to a smaller school if you want to. To go D1, you have to be breaking par consistently.

Well, the way it’s shaking out this year so far in our class with scores...the girls have a legitimate shot, especially with state at our track.

The boys are about to unleash our all-world sophomore on everyone and drop team scores 30+ shots in doing so :ROFLMAO:. They don’t have a shot at a runner up this year, but if we can qualify as a team we could easily top 5. Luckily, our regional is on our course so no excuses.
@Jman - Love hearing about your team! Wish you all the best of luck this year. It's been fun watching my oldest (8th grader) get better and better - who is playing golf this spring and is starting off well.

My son shot a 39 to take 2nd overall in his 3rd match of the year, a personal best for him. He's a freshman and seems to enjoy the game more every day. This has been a fun process.

Do manufacturers provide discounts or help to outfit or equip schools? Our coaches are great but I think they are stretched thin so I thought if I could do some leg work for them it might be beneficial. Would like to know specifically about polos, bags and possibly balls.

Skilled high school golfer and skilled college golfer are worlds apart, skilled college to LPGA is an even larger gap.

In girls golf, low 90’s to mid 80’s will get you a scholly to a smaller school if you want to. To go D1, you have to be breaking par consistently.

It is hard to imagine. I seem to recall a thread about this (related to HS or college guys beating LPGA pros). I still think a lot of people don't realize the jump it takes: 1) to be among the best in your age group, and then 2) to be among the best in the world. The talent for sure - but also the mental toughness and drive.

My son shot a 39 to take 2nd overall in his 3rd match of the year, a personal best for him. He's a freshman and seems to enjoy the game more every day. This has been a fun process.

Congrats! So cool to watch your kids improve and excel at any sport. Golf is such a tough one to be consistently good at - I think it's even more special when a kid starts to shine. Hope he keeps it up!

Girls took 2nd today. And that’s with a MONUMENTAL collapse on the back 9.

Dear Parents,

STOP PUTTING SO MUCH PRESSURE ON YOUR KIDS. Stop critiquing every thing they did because you think you’re good or once were. Because not only are they beating themselves up for those misses already, but you’ve now got them beating themselves up even more knowing you’re going to beat them up.

GROW UP, and let the coaches coach your kids.

f**k.

Dear Parents,

STOP PUTTING SO MUCH PRESSURE ON YOUR KIDS. Stop critiquing every thing they did because you think you’re good or once were. Because not only are they beating themselves up for those misses already, but you’ve now got them beating themselves up even more knowing you’re going to beat them up.

f**k.
Living vicariously through your children is not living - & sucks for those kids

Dear Parents,

f**k.

Do you feel like it’s worse on the golf course, just due to the sheer fact that it’s a much more personal setting and parents seem to ream the kids mid match?

Ive seen so many high schoolers crying mid match due to pressure and very tough love from their parents. I’ve always felt like the helicopter athlete parents in golf seem worse than other sports but I think that’s because in other sports like basketball you

a.) have to publicly ream your child in front of other parents. Which doesn’t stop some even in basketball or football but I’ve seen other parents confront these people mid game also. Ugly scene. In golf there is generally only 1 other family present on that hole and maybe the coaches.

b.) in golf you can hear every critique yelled your way, as noise is discouraged and a bunch of down time where you aren’t necessarily focused on the task at hand (walking to the next shot, waiting your turn, etc.) basketball/football there isn’t really time to focus on what the crowd/your angry parent is yelling

Do you feel like it’s worse on the golf course, just due to the sheer fact that it’s a much more personal setting and parents seem to ream the kids mid match?

Ive seen so many high schoolers crying mid match due to pressure and very tough love from their parents. I’ve always felt like the helicopter athlete parents in golf seem worse than other sports but I think that’s because in other sports like basketball you

a.) have to publicly ream your child in front of other parents. Which doesn’t stop some even in basketball or football but I’ve seen other parents confront these people mid game also. Ugly scene. In golf there is generally only 1 other family present on that hole and maybe the coaches.

b.) in golf you can hear every critique yelled your way, as noise is discouraged and a bunch of down time where you aren’t necessarily focused on the task at hand (walking to the next shot, waiting your turn, etc.) basketball/football there isn’t really time to focus on what the crowd/your angry parent is yelling
I think it is worse, and it’s because of the proximity and the silence as well as the fact that parents who can golf think they know everything and parents who don’t golf still think it’s an easy game and they know everything.

I had to get after one of my girls parents today, a mom, and basically am laying the ultimatum it gets better or I bar the parents from coming to regionals and watching their seniors because I know they’d play 35 shots better with no spectators.

I think it is worse, and it’s because of the proximity and the silence as well as the fact that parents who can golf think they know everything and parents who don’t golf still think it’s an easy game and they know everything.

I had to get after one of my girls parents today, a mom, and basically am laying the ultimatum it gets better or I bar the parents from coming to regionals and watching their seniors because I know they’d play 35 shots better with no spectators.

The 3 people I’m thinking of were all former club pros so I think you hit the nail on the head lol

The 3 people I’m thinking of were all former club pros so I think you hit the nail on the head lol
It’s so sad to see. One of my girls today was just overcome by it all and I defended her vehemently.

I make clear one thing more than any other in my programs. They’re your kids off the course, but on the course they’re mine and I will defend them like my own flesh and blood while never ceasing to help them improve. And if that means it’s a parent I’m defending them from, then so be it!

It’s so sad to see. One of my girls today was just overcome by it all and I defended her vehemently.

I make clear one thing more than any other in my programs. They’re your kids off the course, but on the course they’re mine and I will defend them like my own flesh and blood while never ceasing to help them improve. And if that means it’s a parent I’m defending them from, then so be it!

That right there is the difference from casually coaching and running a legit golf program! I know the coaches I loved the most had that same mentality and those are the coaches I still have relationships with over a decade later! You’re doing well coach!

That right there is the difference from casually coaching and running a legit golf program! I know the coaches I loved the most had that same mentality and those are the coaches I still have relationships with over a decade later! You’re doing well coach!
I appreciate that, and honestly it’s nice to hear.

Parents just need to let their kids be coached. Let them be coached hard. Let them have their successes and failures, and stop trying to prevent those.

The role of a high school golf coach is to schedule practices and matches, keep a record of player scores, arrange safe transportation to and from the golf courses.
It's not like basketball, football, baseball etc..., where coaches teach technique and strategy. For golf the player learns technique and strategy from a qualified teaching professional.

The role of a high school golf coach is to schedule practices and matches, keep a record of player scores, arrange safe transportation to and from the golf courses.
It's not like basketball, football, baseball etc..., where coaches teach technique and strategy. For golf the player learns technique and strategy from a qualified teaching professional.
This is a dumb and a very elitist take. Truly.

Some kids can afford instructors, others can’t. They shouldn’t be left out from learning and advancing because of their financial situations. It is the role of a good coach to be able to be the facilitator, the phychologist, and the swing coach when it is needed.

I hope that this was intended as an "April Fools' joke.
If not, this is one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen in a long time.

I hope that this was intended as an "April Fools' joke.
If not, this is one of the most ridiculous statements I've seen in a long time.
Sadly, it wasn’t.... :rolleyes:

This is why i think coaching golf would be complicated. This would be very dependent on the coach and the student. I treat coaches from all the sports the same, it's their job to coach the group and it's their team. We have some great guys coaching who don't try to change much with my son since they know he works with an instructor but my son is to ALWAYS be respectful, listen to his coaches and be a good teammate.

My job is to be dad and smile and encourage. Parenting teens can come with enough challenges without making something like golf a conflict. I love playing golf and laughing with my kids and I never want golf to be something they dread. I pay a swing instructor so that I dont have to be the coach, and I dont want the job. i will gladly let the coach be the "bad guy" or "hero" on the course.

In my son's first tournament the coach came by and asked me how he was doing. I laughed and told the coach he looked like a nervous freshman and he looked like like he was getting quick with his swing. The coach had a quick discussion with him between holes and he settled in a bit. I got to just hang back and enjoy.

This is why i think coaching golf would be complicated. This would be very dependent on the coach and the student. I treat coaches from all the sports the same, it's their job to coach the group and it's their team. We have some great guys coaching who don't try to change much with my son since they know he works with an instructor but my son is to ALWAYS be respectful, listen to his coaches and be a good teammate.

My job is to be dad and smile and encourage. Parenting teens can come with enough challenges without making something like golf a conflict. I love playing golf and laughing with my kids and I never want golf to be something they dread. I pay a swing instructor so that I dont have to be the coach, and I dont want the job. i will gladly let the coach be the "bad guy" or "hero" on the course.

In my son's first tournament the coach came by and asked me how he was doing. I laughed and told the coach he looked like a nervous freshman and he looked like like he was getting quick with his swing. The coach had a quick discussion with him between holes and he settled in a bit. I got to just hang back and enjoy.
It’s a definite balancing act.

For me, with the kids of mine who have instructors, I reach out to the instructor and ask them to send me the videos and critiques they make as well as 1 or 2 thoughts they want the kids to remember. This way I can helped convey those thoughts to the kids and never something contrary to what they’re learning. I also tell the parents if they see something, let ME know and I’ll convey the idea to the kids. After all, it takes a village.

For the ones who don’t get lessons, I am essentially their swing coach with a HEAVY focus on fundamentals and course management.

Back