High School Golf Thread

Quick question to all the coaches out there. My daughter will be a sophomore next year and wants to play golf. What do you think is the best thing to work on? She carries driver about 170 and hits her irons ok. Scores high 80s from the forward tees. She’s been playing a long time but no competitions or anything. Never pushed her but next she does want to play.
I would echo the local jr. tournaments and working on her 150yd and in game with special attention on her pitching, chipping and putting. I hope she has a blast, I know both my kids did. We tried to keep it fun knowing they were never going to have a d1 type game.

Quick question to all the coaches out there. My daughter will be a sophomore next year and wants to play golf. What do you think is the best thing to work on? She carries driver about 170 and hits her irons ok. Scores high 80s from the forward tees. She’s been playing a long time but no competitions or anything. Never pushed her but next she does want to play.
#1 Ball in play
#2 eliminate two chips
#3 eliminate three putts

80’s is super solid as a sophomore

I'd say she should play as much junior tournaments as possible this Spring/Summer. Get used to competing & the pressure involved - and hopefully make some friends out there.

And focus the majority of her practice time on putting & chipping/pitching. If she knows her distances on partial shots (say, 80 yards and closer) & can repeat them consistently, she will score well
Be careful what junior tournaments though. Usually there are a couple options, AJ’s are a buzzsaw for confidence if just taking it serious.

4th out of 33 teams today. 1 out of 3rd and 14 out of 1st. New kiddo took 2nd with a 77 that was pretty damn good considering a wicked 16-20 southwest wind.

Hosting a girls tournament today. 27 teams.
Gonna be a LONG day. Say a little prayer for me.
;)

Hosting a girls tournament today. 27 teams.
Gonna be a LONG day. Say a little prayer for me.
;)
Make that 30. :ROFLMAO:

Survived. We finished 4th, top 5 teams all within 10 shots. We also had a TERRIBLE front 9 on our home course :rolleyes:

Proved though the top 4 in our class are all neck and neck, and we are one of them. We could honestly win the damn thing.

Survived. We finished 4th, top 5 teams all within 10 shots. We also had a TERRIBLE front 9 on our home course :rolleyes:

Proved though the top 4 in our class are all neck and neck, and we are one of them. We could honestly win the damn thing.
Awesome my daughter played 4 utters the team was not especially good, ever. But they were great kids and only their school taught these rules and the course etiquette.

Glad to hear your Team(s) doing well.

So with that many teams does everyone start at hole 1 or is it a shotgun start of some sort?

So with that many teams does everyone start at hole 1 or is it a shotgun start of some sort?
Shotgun. Played Maxwell format so all teams play as a team.

Solid week. Boys had to play courses unknown to them on back to back rainy days and scored very well considering, well enough that if we can do that on our home course for regionals we should be good.

The girls now know they can win it all, but, instead of practice rounds for regionals next weekend they will be at senior tea. :rolleyes:

Girls have nothing this week, so hoping I can beg the school to let me take them one day to the regional site for 36. Their regional is the 27th

Boys play at home Monday, it’s LOADED, with 31 teams there including some of the best individuals in the state, as well as all the teams that will be at our regional. After that it’s a week and a half before they will play again, so lots of work at home. Two rounds in the 320’s will guarantee we get in, 330’s would mean maybe. Lot of pressure on two of my freshmen :oops:

T4 out of 37 teams today for the boys. Lowest score of the season, and a good sign moving forward for regionals where we will be at home for 36 holes in one day. Left a lot of shots out there despite it being our second lowest score since I was coaching.

T4 out of 37 teams today for the boys. Lowest score of the season, and a good sign moving forward for regionals where we will be at home for 36 holes in one day. Left a lot of shots out there despite it being our second lowest score since I was coaching.
How’s your young phenom working out so far?

How’s your young phenom working out so far?
He’s playing well, not exceptional, but well. Today was his fifth tournament round in six days, so he’s exhausted. Still got it around well, but we left a few out there.

@Jman just found this thread and your updates are entertaining to follow throughout the season.

@Jman just found this thread and your updates are entertaining to follow throughout the season.
Appreciate it. (y)

They’re about to get crazy. Girls regionals this coming week, then boys regionals and girls state the following week, then boys state. Who needs sleep? :LOL:

Appreciate it. (y)

They’re about to get crazy. Girls regionals this coming week, then boys regionals and girls state the following week, then boys state. Who needs sleep? :LOL:
Good luck! THP Nation is rooting for you and your teams!

Appreciate it. (y)

Wish you and your team the best for regionals!

Appreciate it. (y)

They make Monster and Red Bull for that. Keep the updates coming, this is one of my favorite threads!

Let your kids know there are a whole bunch of strangers (or should that be strange internet golfers?) out there rooting for them!

Made the boys play 36 yesterday, walking, in prep for their regionals. Was after a night of about 2” of rain and the course was a swamp, but I needed them to face the massive adversity. Also had three kids ranking for the 5 spot, they too had to walk 36.

Boys went 337 and 325, which I think would qualify but the 337 was pouty whiny overly cry baby golf because of the slop they were playing in and about 25 shots higher than their first round could have been. Second was actually a pretty solid go round given how tired they were. Two rounds in the 320’s on their home course and they should qualify. Would help us if we had a 5 we could count on, but we don’t, so the top 4 have to carry the full weight.

Tomorrow I leave with the girls for an overnight before they play their regionals on Tuesday. We had a 27 hole practice round there this week and they’re all going on their own to play again today. Have to wait until after a senior function tomorrow to leave so likely just getting 9 in that afternoon.

Send a little luck our way the next couple weeks. We should be fine, but I’m still stressed out and exhausted from it all.

Made the boys play 36 yesterday, walking, in prep for their regionals. Was after a night of about 2” of rain and the course was a swamp, but I needed them to face the massive adversity. Also had three kids ranking for the 5 spot, they too had to walk 36.

Boys went 337 and 325, which I think would qualify but the 337 was pouty whiny overly cry baby golf because of the slop they were playing in and about 25 shots higher than their first round could have been. Second was actually a pretty solid go round given how tired they were. Two rounds in the 320’s on their home course and they should qualify. Would help us if we had a 5 we could count on, but we don’t, so the top 4 have to carry the full weight.

Tomorrow I leave with the girls for an overnight before they play their regionals on Tuesday. We had a 27 hole practice round there this week and they’re all going on their own to play again today. Have to wait until after a senior function tomorrow to leave so likely just getting 9 in that afternoon.

Send a little luck our way the next couple weeks. We should be fine, but I’m still stressed out and exhausted from it all.
Rooting for your team(s) and you @Jman !! Sending along whatever “good golf” mojo I’ve got!

Ya boy coached his ass off today, and pulled things back from the brink of disaster.

The moment got big at regionals for some of my girls when they realized this could have been the end of their playing careers, but, with some....encouragement....we pulled it together to finish 2nd as a team (top 3 move to state as a team) and my 1 won a sudden death playoff for 2nd individual. (y)

Now, boys walk 36 for regionals on Monday, then girls state is next Wed/Thu

Ya boy coached his ass off today, and pulled things back from the brink of disaster.

The moment got big at regionals for some of my girls when they realized this could have been the end of their playing careers, but, with some....encouragement....we pulled it together to finish 2nd as a team (top 3 move to state as a team) and my 1 won a sudden death playoff for 2nd individual. (y)

Now, boys walk 36 for regionals on Monday, then girls state is next Wed/Thu
Great job by both the coach and the girls!

Don't ever underestimate the influence you're having on their lives, even beyond golf and well beyond high school. One of my high school coaches has been one of my most important influences and role models throughout my life, I have nothing but the highest respect and love for his character and the traits he instilled in me. He passed away several years ago and I hadn't seen him in years, wish I could have gotten together with him one last time just to thank him.

Back