Hitting Clean or Dirty Golf Balls

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
So, a while back I purchased a Custom Epic Flash Sub Zero driver. I gamed it quite a bit throughout the season, and then gave it to my Dad because that's usually what I end up doing hahaha! It was also completely spotless at the time of handing it over - because I refuse to hit balls that are dirty, and DEFINITELY not sandy.

Six months later, the thing looked like it had been through hell and back haha - I guess sandy balls on the range don't bother him, and naturally I had to give him loads of grief over it.

So, I ask you THPers... Do you play golf with dirty golf balls, or do you keep them clean out there?
When on the range, do you share that mentality, or just hit whatever has been rolling around in the dirt/sand?

I may clean my ball between holes if it’s dirty, but if I roll up to it for my second (or third, or seventh) shot on a hole and the ball is dirty then I’m gonna hit a dirty ball. I also have no interest in cleaning range balls before I hit them.

I never realized how much I needed ball washers until they were removed during covid! I try to keep my golf balls clean and I use one of these.
1615213909480.jpeg
As for range balls, I typically just hit ‘em as they are unless I’m teeing it up and notice there’s sediment on the ball.

You are not alone Dan

When playing out on the course, I will try to keep my ball clean

At the range I tend to use, the issue isn't so much sandy balls, more mud balls, and if I get any of those I will clean them before hitting as I like to keep my clubs looking as good as possible

I don't like to hit a ton of dirty balls at the range. I usually clean my ball on the putting green with a towel and if the greens are sandy I clean it after putting.

I try to keep them clean. I try to keep my club faces clean as well. I need all the advantage I can get. So I try not to introduce additional variables.

So, a while back I purchased a Custom Epic Flash Sub Zero driver. I gamed it quite a bit throughout the season, and then gave it to my Dad because that's usually what I end up doing hahaha! It was also completely spotless at the time of handing it over - because I refuse to hit balls that are dirty, and DEFINITELY not sandy.

Six months later, the thing looked like it had been through hell and back haha - I guess sandy balls on the range don't bother him, and naturally I had to give him loads of grief over it.

So, I ask you THPers... Do you play golf with dirty golf balls, or do you keep them clean out there?
When on the range, do you share that mentality, or just hit whatever has been rolling around in the dirt/sand?

In Scotland you play it as it lies. Usually caked in mud/sand/whatever at this time of year. Generally use old balls until April when the rain gets slightly warmer.

No sand EVER! Clean dirty ones during a round when it's permissible.

The 3 ranges I frequent up here wash all the range balls after they pick them up which is nice. Always clean my ball or swap them out between green and tee so I tee off with a clean ball.

Generally try to not play a dirty ball. If a ball I'm playing start to get a little stained, i'll just swap it to a clean one and them clean the dirty ones when I get home.

I like clean golf balls.

The range where I practice washes the golf balls well - Callaway practice balls.

I also clean the face of the iron every few balls to lessen the sand grinding the face

On the course, I clean them for the drive.

In Scotland you play it as it lies. Usually caked in mud/sand/whatever at this time of year. Generally use old balls until April when the rain gets slightly warmer.
Well, I'm not opposed to hitting a mud ball or dirty ball during play of course - nothing you can do about it.

What about between holes? Do you hit dirty balls with your driver?

I feel like you'd have to have a rough day putting if you still have sand/mud on the ball after finishing a hole. Grass stains or discoloration don't bother me much and I'm terrified of the ball washer curse, so I'll generally tee off with a stained ball but never mud or sand. As for the range, our balls don't really get sandy or dirty from the box to the mat or grass. I wouldn't spend much time cleaning balls but if it was very sandy i might whip it off.

Always clean your balls before playing; its just being considerate

I realize I am a bit of a crazy person as it relates to practice and wiping my clubs down after each shot - but it's just my routine.

Hell, I even take a towel with me to the putting green on dewy mornings to wipe the balls down after each set of putts, since they pick up sand. I just absolutely love the look of a fresh face on a club. Makes me feel good.

I clean my ball after every hole so I am teeing up a clean ball on the next hole. Even though ball washers were put back out 6 or so months ago, I still won't touch them. I have a ball cleaning sleeve that retains water inside attached to my bag that I use and it is machine washable. Range balls are not a concern as I hit maybe 12 in a given year with a driver.

I realize I am a bit of a crazy person as it relates to practice and wiping my clubs down after each shot - but it's just my routine.

Hell, I even take a towel with me to the putting green on dewy mornings to wipe the balls down after each set of putts, since they pick up sand. I just absolutely love the look of a fresh face on a club. Makes me feel good.
The only person I see grabbing a towel more than you is Spieth haha

Range: clean on driver/woods
Course: clean every time possible
Green: always
Always try to keep variables to a minimum why add more to a already so-so swing.

clean.

range balls are usually cleaned and stacked on range, so not an issue. #spoiled.

The only person I see grabbing a towel more than you is Spieth haha
I think it helps me as well to keep my practice more meaningful. Time between shots to digest. It's a double win.

I try to be better about wiping my golf balls but the reality is I just don't all the time. I am however constantly trying to keep my iron club faces clean so theres that

Clean clubs and always clean the ball! Range balls here are normally pretty good.

Back