Hitting "into" the group ahead or hitting it "close"...

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Are they the same thing? Asking for a friend.

I guess the question is, what is "close?"

If you are within 20 yards of them that is to close.

If it’s enough that they hear it or take notice, it’s too close.

to be honest, it wasn't that close...and they appeared to be moving forward only to double back on more than a few occasions (which resulted in my "friend's" comfort level dropping with hitting my, i mean his, shots...

If you have to ask, you already know the answer....

Oof. Can't have it both ways. If everyone is waiting for people to clear enough for the off chance they're going to hit their best drive ever, things are going to be slow. I'm wary of hitting into people because I've seen a couple horrific things on course, but I'm totally fine with close from a distance perspective. And if you accidentally hit into us, I'm sure as hell not going to screw with your ball. I might wait and have a chat with you quick to make sure we're all on the same page, probably have a laugh, and get back after it.

i did get hit into while waiting to take my second shot on one hole...the group was polite enough to walk up and apologize, saying they didn't think they would reach me.

If they’re playing slow and not letting us pass I will hit as soon as they start driving away in hopes of catching them on the next tee box. I’ll never intentionally hit into anyone. At the end of the day it’s just a game and not worth seriously injuring someone

Close is 15-20 yards. I would rather not see that.

So I hit 3 wood (damn TSi2) blind on a par 5 and flew the group in front of us. I saw them on the next tee and apologized. They said great shot, and I said yea, new titleist. They said, can we try it? Of course! I think they all bought one today.
At least they were cool about it. My friend drove a par 4 because the ball bounced twice on the cart path and landed on the green while they were putting. He apologized but they were not thrilled

Unless you hit someone, you just hit close. If you hit a ball that rolls in between someone’s legs, that is too close. I did that on accident in a THP event :eek: sorry again, @ArmyGolf

Fun fact, there used to be a THP member who was a personal injury lawyer. When somebody hit into him or missed from a different tee box, he would leave his business card under their ball.

Once folks get past my normal drive, I'm ok to go for it. In the last 2 years since I've taken up golf again, I've messed up once and that was on a hilly hole where the group in front doubled back to find a lost ball and was unexpected. I think there is not much excuse to hit near the group in front; better to call a marshal if they're slow

I did it on Thursday.....short par 4 and guys were on the green. Didn’t think I would be close to em. Hit it pretty well & when I got up there they had moved to the next tee box & I see my ball about 20 feet from the hole. I ran up to them and apologized. They asked if I made it. I replied “it was a great par”.

Yeah, within 20 yards or so it doesn’t make a difference when it’s a tee shot or something similar.

I’ve hit close to groups who chose to hang around the green and watch, but it was clear that they were killing time and watching the play approach them. More of a spectator group than players at that point though so not quite the same thing.

If I think they're out of reach that would probably the time I hit the best shot of the day. So it depends on whether or not I think I'm gonna get my ass kicked. :sneaky:

Back