Hitting Off Mats Fittings

M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
When hitting off the mat at a store, do you adjust spin/launch numbers for when trying out irons?

I usually add 700ish revs and think launch is usually a degree or two higher.

If you are getting fit at the same time with all clubs and the fitter is competent it wouldn’t matter. The positive of elimination of variables

have found that hitting off real grass is a better way to be properly fitted, but of course not everyone has that option

Looking at numbers is all very good, but ideally I want to see how the ball flies off real grass. I’m lucky enough to be able to get fit on a grass range with a launch monitor. I thinks that’s a rarity though.

Looking at numbers is all very good, but ideally I want to see how the ball flies off real grass. I’m lucky enough to be able to get fit on a grass range with a launch monitor. I thinks that’s a rarity though.
It would make a large amount of difference if one could be fit while playing in a natural environment. Can you imagine what that would be like? Even on a range is better than a mat. I was fitted on a mat a CC and am pleased, yet I know it isn't the same. I practice on my own mats here at home and it is the best I can do, but in my opinion never the same as actual turf.

I too like to watch the ball flight in a fitting but unfortunately not a lot fo grass options near me.

Really comes down to preference. These days that's going to be the quickest and most accessible way to get fit to me.

Like some others, I prefer to be outside so I can swing and see the flight, not some projector screen. But outdoor fittings aren't all that common, at least locally. Usually take advantage of demo days when that starts back up.

I wish there were more green grass fitting options but I get the logistical headaches for fitters. Not sure about you guys but I often have a hard time getting my angles right on simulators.

What about hitting indoors on a mat, out to the range through an opening? That’s how my fitting was done.

I have no idea because I have never used a Trackman or similar outdoors... just inside the golf shop.

I’m lucky enough to be able to get fit on a grass range with a launch monitor. I thinks that’s a rarity though.
Maybe, but the outdoor range at my local golf store is littered with TrackMan boxes. Ok, "littered" may be a bit of an exaggeration :), but I can think of three of them, just from memory. I'll look more carefully when I'm there tomorrow.

What about hitting indoors on a mat, out to the range through an opening? That’s how my fitting was done.
The good is that you get to see the actual ball flight instead of a simulation of it on a screen. The bad is that you're still hitting off mats, so you don't get the same turf interaction you'll get on actual grass.

Back