Hitting Out of Compacted or Wet Sand - Help Needed

campilobaxter

Mustachioed Root Vegetable
Reaction score
Handicap
I am reasonably comfortable getting out of bunkers, but there is one shot that still mystifies me: hitting out of a bunker with compacted or wet sand. If I take my normal approach, open the face, use the bounce, and try to "thump" the sand, I end up bouncing the club into the ball and skulling it across the green. The sand is too hard and the club just bounces off it. If I close the club face and try to blast it out, the leading edge digs in and takes a dive and the ball ends up going about 3 feet.

What am I doing wrong? How do you get out of a bunker with wet or compacted sand?

What I do....or feel like im doing....its coming in steep. As in I almost lift the club straight up as I turn back, then come right back down under the ball and through. Of course my face is open depending on how high or far I want it to go....

Hope that makes sense.....I tell my self to get steep, down, and through.

Have you been watching my sand shots lately? Seems like you describe my exact struggle.

I am fine with normal sand, but packed down = skulled, seemingly no matter what I do.

What I do....or feel like im doing....its coming in steep. As in I almost lift the club straight up as I turn back, then come right back down under the ball and through. Of course my face is open depending on how high or far I want it to go....

Hope that makes sense.....I tell my self to get steep, down, and through.

Thanks. Face open to the same degree (depending on desired trajectory) as it would be in soft sand?

From what I have learned, with compact/wet sand, it's all about speed. I typically will make my normal sand shot swing, although Ill make it slightly shorter to adjust to increased speed. has worked well for mostly, but I know your compacted wet sand out there is way different than mine here haha.

Have you been watching my sand shots lately? Seems like you describe my exact struggle.

I am fine with normal sand, but packed down = skulled, seemingly no matter what I do.

Actually, yes. I had Nike make me a full ghillie suit to match the shoes in your avatar.

Thanks. Face open to the same degree (depending on desired trajectory) as it would be in soft sand?

Yeah, just all depends on what you are wanting to do with it. Also speed and follow through matters as well but that's with any type of bunker shot. But since its compacted you have to get down and through it. Almost like just coming up then back down and popping the back side of the sole to the ground under the ball and through. Rather than back and through like you would if its soft.

Typically on those type of shots I will use a wedge with less bounce and I do not open the face

If its wet, I just play it like a chip.

Typically on those type of shots I will use a wedge with less bounce and I do not open the face

This is exactly what I do, and I tend to face lots of these bunker shots here in WI.

Oh great, so now I need a new wedge. :D

I don't think you need to go out and buy a new wedge........

I like a lot of bounce on my wedges and have had to play out of tight wet bunkers here lately because of all the rain we have had.

Your 60 should work fine if its a V grind. If its not I recommend a wide low...assuming your staying with Cobra

Your 60 should work fine if its a V grind. If its not I recommend a wide low...assuming your staying with Cobra

My 60 is a versatile. That's what I was using yesterday when I ran into this particular problem a few times.

My 60 is a versatile. That's what I was using yesterday when I ran into this particular problem a few times.

Well...that should be fine honestly. My suggestion would be to try hitting a little closer to the ball and/or not taking much of a divot. Everyone plays it differently so YMMV

i think it's more an issue of speed and contact. in those types of bunkers, i really lean into my left side, open the blade a good bit, and try to hit a fraction closer to the ball to avoid bouncing into it. also need lots of speed at the bottom.

The bunkers at most of the courses I play are either minimum sand over hardpan, or firm wet sand, both take the same technique. I use a low-bounce 60* and otherwise play it like a normal bunker shot. On the rare occasion I get in what most consider a "normal" bunker, with nice dry soft sand, I use a mid bounce 56*.

You must break your wrists really quickly on the takeaway & use a lot of Speed on the way down. Use your normal setup, just remember to break your wrists quickly away from the ball and use the bounce to "dig" somewhat under the ball and bounce it's way thru the hard packed sand. If done correctly, I can get a lot more spin out of compacted bunkers vs soft sand.

... You don't use the bounce in wet or impacted sand. It is almost like hitting a full shot intentionally fat, digging the leading edge into the mud. Ball will roll more so you have to plan for that. Trial and error with your speed and shaft lean will let you know how far behind the ball to enter the mud. Fwiw, this is very different than the hardpan "bunkers" like in Phoenix because you can't dig into hardpan at all. I had to buy a low bounce wedge to play those bunkers. But my D Grind 12* bounce wedge works just fine in muddy bunkers.

@tadashi70 should be able to get you right on this one!

I am reasonably comfortable getting out of bunkers, but there is one shot that still mystifies me: hitting out of a bunker with compacted or wet sand. If I take my normal approach, open the face, use the bounce, and try to "thump" the sand, I end up bouncing the club into the ball and skulling it across the green. The sand is too hard and the club just bounces off it. If I close the club face and try to blast it out, the leading edge digs in and takes a dive and the ball ends up going about 3 feet.

What am I doing wrong? How do you get out of a bunker with wet or compacted sand?

I love wet sand or compact sand, I know it’s going to be close. You must use the bounce and speed. The swing is short, steep and very close to the ball. Weight on your lead leg and you are literally trying to cut the legs out from under the ball. You’re basically catching ball and ground at the same time.

I love wet sand or compact sand, I know it’s going to be close. You must use the bounce and speed. The swing is short, steep and very close to the ball. Weight on your lead leg and you are literally trying to cut the legs out from under the ball. You’re basically catching ball and ground at the same time.

Typically also comes out with more spin than an average bunker shot in my experience. Would this be true @tadashi70 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typically also comes out with more spin than an average bunker shot in my experience. Would this be true @tadashi70 ?

Mine actually don't but I think it's because I use more of a thump for the wet ones and a little more wrist and speed with the dry ones. That sort of sounds dirty...................:D

Hitting Out of Compacted or Wet Sand - Help Needed

Unfortunately, I don’t always know how ‘compacted’ the sand is until after I hit it... But if I do know that I’m in for a really tight, wettish hard pack- I’ll take highest lofted lowest bounce club I think I need. A PW or even a 9I. I’ll open up and come in steep from outside to in. Accelerate and DON’T try and pick it. Instead of “2 inches behind the ball”, I will focus on the bottom dead center of the ball and try to hit that spot. Hopefully it’s like a lob wedge that pops up fairly high and doesn’t run too much. Key word is “hopefully”

100% true, and if you know how the ball will react you can play some pretty cool shots

Back