Hitting the Sweet Spot Driver

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
Drills and Tips for Hitting the Sweet spot more consistently.

I can hit the driver fairly well. But what with all the forgiveness of modern day 460cc Drivers I can be extremely sloppy and still hit a 250 yard drive near the Fairway.

So instead of looking at the face of my driver and seeing a Swiss cheese pattern of ball Marks, I would love to develop the ability to strip the ball of the Center Heart of the Sweet Spot.

Best Advice? Any Advice? Thanks :drinks:

video your swing from the back side and ball on supper slow mode then check for form and consistency

Practice with a tee gate.

impact-drill-lg.jpg

I prefer to have the heel side tee go into the ground at roughly the same angle as the driver shaft.

Foot spray or face tape to figure out where you miss most. Then working on avoiding something to bring the miss more center. IE coming from the outside head cover Outside the ball to avoid.

Drills and Tips for Hitting the Sweet spot more consistently.

I can hit the driver fairly well. But what with all the forgiveness of modern day 460cc Drivers I can be extremely sloppy and still hit a 250 yard drive near the Fairway.

So instead of looking at the face of my driver and seeing a Swiss cheese pattern of ball Marks, I would love to develop the ability to strip the ball of the Center Heart of the Sweet Spot.

Best Advice? Any Advice? Thanks :drinks:

Buy a 350 CC size driver head and shaft it to 43" finished length.

Use the forgiveness and swing for the fences... and try the tees to create a swing path.

Slow down your swing until you find the center. Then don't speed back up.

This is something I'm currently implementing. I told my foursome that if I start swinging like I'm trying to shatter the ball, let me know. I'm typically the longest off the teebox of my foursome but I'm not nearly as accurate/consistent as I would prefer to be, hence I'm slowing down my swing. May give up a few yards but I can make it up in iron play. Good to see someone is saying slow it down and figure a consistent swing.

Scratch the last, and replace it with 'and then gradually speed it back up until you lose it again' would be more my advice.

I don't like the tee thing personally, but watching timing and form in video usually helps me see where my sequencing is off. That's what it's all about for me. I start the club at center. If everything times out right it'll find it's way back home.

@Johan185 , a common problem for those who hit with the right hand too early. The fix is in two parts - relax the right arm completely during the backswing and begin the downswing at a moderate pace regardless of how hard you intend to hit.

It's amazing how much difference taking a half-inch or more off the length of a driver can make. Often, golfers are able to realize more solid contact AND more distance as a result.

It's amazing how much difference taking a half-inch or more off the length of a driver can make. Often, golfers are able to realize more solid contact AND more distance as a result.
I'm seconding this, going tour length for this season and hoping it will mean more center strikes.

Back