Hole 7 At My Home Course - How Would You Play It?

It’s a really nice hole. From 500, I know I am not reaching in two, so it’s a driver and two short irons to the green.

Absolutely hitting driver aiming between fairway bunker and right trees. Zero reason not to. End up in the bunker or tree edge and laying up same as any other miss, unless I catch a sweet lie in one of those. Attack with a 3i or whatever appropriate is in the bag if drive is good, or lay/punch up to the 90 yard pitch. Conditions dictate which, but I'd be trying if it's a reasonable option.
This ^^^

Edit - after looking at the scorecard I’d be playing the back tees at this course. In that case I know I’m not getting home in 2 on this hole so I’m hitting two safe positional play shots leading into my approach shot. Hopefully I’m walking off with an easy par.

Last edited:
You are right, totally my bad. For some dumb reason I initially thought the white tees were 501. I'd go a completely different route seeing it's only 433. I hate par 5s like this that sort of suggest a 150ish yard layup off the tee. Played one today in fact and hated it too(n). Given it's 70 yards shorter than I assumed, I'm probably hitting driver on your hole. Not because I'd be trying for the green in two (my long approach misses are usually left), but just because there's really nothing else. If I'm in the trap off the tee so be it. I can still layup from there same as if my drive finds fairway. Layup favors right side leaving a partial wedge in.
That's correct. That landing area is wide, relatively flat and leaves a nice angle for a wedge. This is one of those rare holes where I could play from longer tees and it wouldn't make much difference in how I played it.

While the distance is a challenge at 430, for me it's how protected the green is. I won't try an approach to this green from beyond 150. The widest point between trouble is less 30 yards and much narrower if short. My mid to long iron game just isn't accurate enough.

That's a pretty hole, and reminds me a lot of my local course where we play target golf. I'm playing for par on this hole. 3 wood off the tee, then an iron to get within 100 yards. Wedge shot in, and hoping for a close putt.

Eh I think I'd usually go for the green if I'm playing for fun. Biggest concern would be the blind carry over the trees, but it looks like there is a bit of room around the green if you miss. Nowadays these 3 woods/hybrids go so far you can get there from short of the bunker (looks to be about~230 from the front of the bunker?). Just lay up with 3/5 wood off the tee.

Going straight at the bunker. Since I am never dead straight I will hopefully be on the fairway and have a shot at the green.

Scenario #1
I’d probably hit 3 hybrid, good for 200 yds maybe a shade more. Then either 3 wood or 3 hybrid again, depending what I was looking at from there. That would either put me on (hopefully) or more likely leave me a pitch shot and some work for the flatstick. A look at bird, more likely a 5 and 6 is not out of the realm of possibility.

Scenario #2 (more likely, since I’m not bright enough for scenario #1).

Rip driver off the fairway, left or right, you pick the spot. Then, claw my way back in. Follow that up with a couple shots to find the dance floor and then poke the ball around, until it finds the hole, for a solid bogey, maybe a double...

scenario #3
Rip my patent pending “Ginsu Slice” off the tee (its sharp as can be) and with luck, find the fairway. Maybe an easy 6 or full 7 onto the green and continue to poke it around the green for a disappointing 5

bunkers never come into play...

I am trying to clear the bunker. If I end up in it. No biggie lay up them wedges in.

that centerline bunker would be a real bear if this was a par four. Being that it is a par 5 or really just forces you to layup I’d you go in it.

I am not good enough to attempt to go for the green in two, even though I would have the length for it I don't have the control.
  1. I would first use a 4 hybrid off the tee that should reach ~220. The bunkers start at 260 yards so there in no chance of getting that far and the fairway is super wide here.
  2. Next I would use a 5 iron down the center of the fairway that should get ~190 yards which will put me in another wide fairway and at a good angle to hit the green on the next shot.
  3. The approach shot should be from ~110 yards out, so I would be using my GW or 54 degree wedge.
1611536124702.png

No way I'm going for that green in two. I don't have that kind of firepower, and a short miss into the ravine on the approach shot would be a disaster. Probably 5W off the tee, whatever club is needed next to get me within 100 or so, then a wedge onto the green.

Nice looking hall. In all probability this is probably a three shot par 5 for me but first time playing I’d probably go driver aiming for the bunker in the middle and hit slight fad landing to the right. If I had to 220 out and good lie I might attempt my 4 wood but gorge in front is just a ball magnet. So probably just knock out a six iron to 100 yards and wedge one and 1 putt for birdie. That was easy, eh!

Regardless of the tee choice, my aim is a draw hoping to clear the bunker in the middle or stay enough right of it. If I am out of the bunker I am taking aim at the middle of the green. If i land in the bunker, then I will get to 100 or so out and set up the next shot. If i am clear of the bunkers I am taking my 3w or 4hybrid and aiming at the front of the green with my only concern is covering the waste area in front.

Having watched the video it is a 3 shot hole for me all day. There is very little room around the green for a miss. From the back or middle tees I hit driver as I don't believe the trap is reachable. I also try to play it up the left side to give me a better angle in. From the white tees I would probably still hit driver. If I get it on the right side of the fairway and have hit it hard I might try to go for the green. While I can't fly the trap that bunker doesn't look that penal so I can hit a layup out of it no problem.

Interesting hole.

The course looks tough but a lot of fun to play. I would hit driver and since I play a fade, I would hope to get a look at the green for my second, but the green doesn't have a place to miss so...tough call.

I think I would still hit driver and if I am in trouble off the tee, I can lay up and still get my GIR.

3W,4I,GW all day long.

My drives tend to get a little longer as the round goes on. By hole 7 I would definitely swing for it being 433 from the white tees. If I found the bunker its an easy decision to lay up. If I hit a good one and get to around 160-170 I would consider going for it. If I'm closer to 200 definitely a lay up. At 200 I'd try to hit two wedges that distance.

The first hole at my home course is similar. A 480 yard par 5 with a water hazard fronting the green. Definitely can't get there in two from that distance. No fairway bunkers though.

Playing from the blues....4 hybrid off the tee followed by a 4 wood will leave me with a PW into the green. This should remove any trouble barring an errant shot (which is always a possibility!) and give me an opportunity for a birdie putt.

Driver into the trap, then skull my second shot into the hazard. Drop 3, hit 4 and hopefully two putt for bogey. :LOL:

Realistically from the blues, I'm only going to reach the trap on a great drive, so I'm going driver then laying up for a shot across. From the whites I'm praying I miss the trap. Probably still laying up.

I'd hit 5w, then a hybrid then wedge in....

Nah, I'm hammering a driver as hard as I can at the middle of the bunker. I've never in my life hit a perfectly straight drive, so is either going to be one side or the other. Then I'll deal with whatever hand I've been dealt from there.

2 Hybrid, 6 Hybrid, PW or SW to green.

Unless you drive it 350 yards, uphill .... that to me looks like a true 3 shot par 5. Too much trouble to get into :eek:

Unless you drive it 350 yards, uphill .... that to me looks like a true 3 shot par 5. Too much trouble to get into :eek:
From the flyover, it doesn't look like there's a lot of room to miss around that green. I wouldn't want to take that approach on from 200+ yards! 😬

Back