Hole in One on a Par 3

My lone HIO was on a very short par 4. I was told on here that it wasn’t an albatross as those are only hole outs in 2 on par 5’s. Isn’t 3 under par an albatross?

Not sure where that thought process came from. Three under on a hole is most definitely an albatross.

That was pretty much my thoughts on it too, OG. Never even considered someone not counting it as an albatross??

I haven't looked but I always believed ................. it must be witnessed

Oh Man. I really gotta hand it Coca-Cola!

First Santa Claus then New Coke and now this.

The entire notion having to have an ace/hole-in-one/1 on a par 3 be "witnessed" to be valid is nothing more than a brilliant marketing campaign to sell more Coke to greens keepers.

The score of 1 need only be attested to. Not witnessed. Attest*. As in: "Hey Mrs. Focker take a look at my score card for the nine holes I just shot. As a club member of this course in good standing and known to the committee as acceptable would you sign(where it says attest) my card? By the way, did you see that one of those scores is a 1?" "Thank you. You are one swell Mother Focker!"

Definition of attest

transitive verb
1a: to affirm to be true or genuinespecifically : to authenticate by signing as a witness AS A. NOT BE A.
b: to authenticate officially

Almost had my first today and not sure if it would count. My friend plays hybrid irons (launchers and T-rail) and was complaining that his cavity back gap wedge felt harsh. The distance was right on a par 3 with water on the left so I hit his gap wedge straight over the flag and it zipped back next to the flag for a tap in birdie. If I had made the ace, would it have counted since I used a club out of someone else's bag?

Almost had my first today and not sure if it would count. My friend plays hybrid irons (launchers and T-rail) and was complaining that his cavity back gap wedge felt harsh. The distance was right on a par 3 with water on the left so I hit his gap wedge straight over the flag and it zipped back next to the flag for a tap in birdie. If I had made the ace, would it have counted since I used a club out of someone else's bag?

If you both had more than 14 clubs together, no. Otherwise, it's fine to use a club out of your partner's bag. Not that I ever would, but that's the way I understand it.

If you both had more than 14 clubs together, no. Otherwise, it's fine to use a club out of your partner's bag. Not that I ever would, but that's the way I understand it.
Exactly how I saw it. We each had 14 and i only hit it as he thought there was something wrong with it. He tends to flip at impact and hit the ball very low on the face of the irons. The Cleveland launcher HB irons he plays masks this. Crazy that it came close to dropping.. That would be my luck!

Exactly how I saw it. We each had 14 and i only hit it as he thought there was something wrong with it. He tends to flip at impact and hit the ball very low on the face of the irons. The Cleveland launcher HB irons he plays masks this. Crazy that it came close to dropping.. That would be my luck!

If you each had 14, then it's my understanding that you are not allowed to share clubs. If you're both carrying 7 (or some other combination that totals 14), then it's ok... I think.

I've played legit par-3 courses where most, if not all, holes were at least 100 yards. I'd sure count an ace on one of those.

The only pitch-and-putt course I played was in Austin in the 80's with some very short holes (literally pitch shots) - I wouldn't count one of those.

I've played legit par-3 courses where most, if not all, holes were at least 100 yards. I'd sure count an ace on one of those.

The only pitch-and-putt course I played was in Austin in the 80's with some very short holes (literally pitch shots) - I wouldn't count one of those.
I agree with this. If you got an "ace" on a 30 yard hole I would give a high five and congratulate you but it wouldn't hold the same weight for me

One shot from the tee? It’s an ace. Might need a qualifier if it’s 60 yards, but it’s still a “one” on the scorecard.

One shot from the tee? It’s an ace. Might need a qualifier if it’s 60 yards, but it’s still a “one” on the scorecard.
This is fair. I'm not sure where my cutoff is but it has to be at least a 3/4 swing and not a chip in my opinion

This is fair. I'm not sure where my cutoff is but it has to be at least a 3/4 swing and not a chip in my opinion

There is a short, downhill (mountainside) par3 on #17 on one of my frequented tracks. The distance from my tees plays about 105, and the downhill usually makes it play about 85. A few months back it was insanely windy (40+ mph) and it was blowing in your face on this hole. I chipped a 6 iron (it was almost like a putting stroke) and the ball came to rest 2 inches from the hole.

My score card says 1, therefore I made the hole in one shot.
Is that not a hole in one?

What is the official body that "counts" hole in ones ?

My score card says 1, therefore I made the hole in one shot.
Is that not a hole in one?

What is the official body that "counts" hole in ones ?
Probably the USGA, But if you make a hole in one and tell about it the first thing people will ask is where and how far was it? If you mention a par 3 course and that it was 85 yards most would say that's not but it doesn't count as a hole in one. The fact that you know you made one is all you need to know or care about.

I think the people who have a preconceived notion that a shorter hole isn't "real" golf, are the same people who shoot 120 from the tips because they're too ego-driven to move forward.

By definition a hole in one is a hole out in one shot. You write down a 1 on the score card no matter if it's 400 yards or 25 yards. You can't deny that.
They haven’t hit a hole in one. If they ? ? one on a “par 3 course”

If I have witnesses I'm counting it. If someone wants to be a Richard and tell me it doesn't count because it wasn't on a championship course, they can eat it.

If I have witnesses I'm counting it. If someone wants to be a Richard and tell me it doesn't count because it wasn't on a championship course, they can eat it.

Why would you need witnesses?

There is a short, downhill (mountainside) par3 on #17 on one of my frequented tracks. The distance from my tees plays about 105, and the downhill usually makes it play about 85. A few months back it was insanely windy (40+ mph) and it was blowing in your face on this hole. I chipped a 6 iron (it was almost like a putting stroke) and the ball came to rest 2 inches from the hole.
If it went in I would count it!

Yes!

Back