Have you ever had a hole in one?

• Yes

Votes: 101 46.3%
  • No

Votes: 117 53.7%

• Total voters
Mine came on 6/30/2018. 130 yard par 3 second hole. Smooth 9i that hit it front of the hole and rolled in... Fortunately was playing with 3 others so it was witnessed.

Besides my own, I've only witnessed one other HIO while playing...

I've had seven, but five were on the executive par-3 I played a bajillion times from when I was ten. Given the sheer number of par-3s it isn't so far out of whack.

On the par three I aced the same uphill hole twice (3rd at Brooke Hills Park) when I was 11 and 13 (1983/1985). The first was from the red tees (160yds) smashing a (half rotten wood) driver into the hill in front of me and it skipping up. The second from the whites (180yds) smashing a 1-iron the same way.

When I was 14 my 11 year old neighbor aced the 5th (90 yds straight downhill) by hitting it off a cart sign, and I promptly aced the 6th(110 yds) by bouncing it downhill out of the woods and hitting the stick a foot above the hole and dropping.

In my late teens I aced the 1st (170 slightly downhill) by catching it on the sole and watching it roll on the burned out grass almost like a perfectly stroked putt. When it stopped it looked really close but just short and from that distance it is hard to tell exactly. I was notorious by then for making hios and the park manager was behind me and said something about how close it was. I was putting my club back when he said "you gotta be s*****g me." I turned around and it had dropped.

A few years later I got the 13th (a slightly uphill 105yd hole where you can't see the surface) by skulling a wedge then hearing a crack. A guy I had played little league with was mowing the hill to the right and he gave me a sort of exasperated arms spread out look. The ball went in but it cracked the cheap thin wooden flagstick they used and he wasn't reacting to the hio as much as the equipment damage.

That was it for that course. I almost got 16 this year on a bounce out of the woods. It mostly disappeared into the cup and came out. The foam was a little high but given my history with luck in those spots I'm not about to complain about it.

I have two aces on regulation courses which were the two that were well struck.

One was on the 12th at (now closed) Blackmoor outside Steubenville, OH. 163 yds slightly downhill, 8i that hit three feet short, checked up slightly and rolled in. That was about 1996.

One on the 15th hole at Meadow Ponds near Morgantown, which is a dogleg right 240 yd par-4 with a pond guarding the front left. I would just hammer a two iron there and it would usually leak around the corner onto the green. That was either 1999 or 2000. The green was soft and there was a big ball mark right in front of the hole.

I guess it is a weird flex to not remember exactly when most of these happened....

I've one, BUT... I was 16 and it was my first time ever playing golf, and only time, until later taking up the game at 23. Close since, but none in hundreds and hundreds of rounds.

But just YESTERDAY! My ball came to rest precisely ONE inch from the cup.

Tracking, but ran outta steam so tantalizingly close.
That's insane, a hole in one on your first round. Not sure on the odds of that, but I bet it is just as rare as 2 in one round.

I've had 3, I think it was one in each year 2004, 2005 and 2006. Two on the same hole and one on another, but all on the same course.

Got a cool little bag tag for getting an ace in a comp using a Titleist. I had to send Titleist UK my signed scorecard from the competition and a letter from my club. I lost the original tag but they sent me a replacement. Now they just hand them out to whoever asks for one.
fa51f7eeeb7f2aec655da22ca3297e9e.jpg

I have a number of these tags, 2 on bags now & a few that have broken off over the years. I have 6 hole in one's ... the last one was in 2011 on a short par 3 on a course that is no longer in existence. Lucky bounce, but hey, I'd rather be lucky than good. :golf2:

3 years ago. Skulled one in. A good miss

I've had one, zero skill all luck. My home course has a short par 3 @100yds it's kind of shaped like a half bowl. You're hitting from an elevated tee down 20ft to a green surrounded 3/4 of the way around by a berm. The left side is downhill death. I hit a ball that I thought was short, I started walking back to the cart thinking I was hitting shot 2 off the hillside of the berm(been there, done that) my buddies girlfriend starts yelling it's on the green and heading towards the hole, I turn just in time to watch it drop in the cup. I've had several close ones inside a foot from much further out, but none of those have dropped.
I also supposedly had a Covid hole in one that I did not witness earlier this year. It was actually an albatross. I was playing in a best ball scramble and I hit over the trees on a par 4 i knew it was on the green. I drive up and someone from the other fairway starts yelling, asking who hit that shot, I thought i hit in on them so I said "me" and he says "it went in the cup and rolled all the way around and popped back out" because the cups were flipped for coronavirus so I took a 2 on that 1 Even though it supposedly went in. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
I’ve got to admit I’m a bit surprised by how high the percentage is of those that have made a HIO. Given how rare it is considered to achieve the feat, I would have never expected 45% to answer “yes” as of this post. I suppose it’s natural for stats to be skewed with selective responses

2 years ago I had two in 14 days, it was an unreal experience.

After the first I was playing with a buddy and we roll up to a tee box, he says “imagine if you got another one”... I said yeah sure, no way. Tee’d up, yoink... in the hole.
It was at a MassGOLF event and when they heard the news they had a bag ready for me with 4 dozen of prov and a few shirts.

Been golfing for about 35 years and still waiting for my first hole in one. I've come awful close a few times, but never had one go in yet.

I’ve got to admit I’m a bit surprised by how high the percentage is of those that have made a HIO. Given how rare it is considered to achieve the feat, I would have never expected 45% to answer “yes” as of this post. I suppose it’s natural for stats to be skewed with selective responses

The math isn't that grim as while the chances of doing it on one specific hole, the chance of ever doing it comes down the more tries a person has.

The odds of the average golfer is about 12000-1. For a low handicapper 5000-1. So if we take a person about half between and say 8500-1 for this forum.

So the probability of not making a hole in one on a specific hole is .99988 (8500/8501)

So if that person is an avid golfer who plays 60 rounds in a year each with four par threes that is 240 par 3s. In a decade that is 2400 par 3s.

.99888 ^ 2400 = .75, meaning that 25% of these golfers will make an ace in that decade alone.

At about 5000 holes it reaches the 45% mark. Given the variance here as to skill and volume it is reasonable 45% of the people here have one.

I have had one it was total luck, from about 200 yds hit a Kmart 3 wood worm burner that never got 10 ft off the ground and hit the upslope in front of the green and popped up and rolled about 30 ft in the hole.

Yesterday my 80 year old friend got his 15th with a 8 iron uphill 137 out. Front pin, landed just on and rolled in. He was not even excited about it..

The math isn't that grim as while the chances of doing it on one specific hole, the chance of ever doing it comes down the more tries a person has.

The odds of the average golfer is about 12000-1. For a low handicapper 5000-1. So if we take a person about half between and say 8500-1 for this forum.

So the probability of not making a hole in one on a specific hole is .99988 (8500/8501)

So if that person is an avid golfer who plays 60 rounds in a year each with four par threes that is 240 par 3s. In a decade that is 2400 par 3s.

.99888 ^ 2400 = .75, meaning that 25% of these golfers will make an ace in that decade alone.

At about 5000 holes it reaches the 45% mark. Given the variance here as to skill and volume it is reasonable 45% of the people here have one.

Started golfing in 1976. In 1996 I made 2 aces within 11 days of each other. Now I've gone 24 years without another. I'm due!

2 years ago I got my first one on a full sized course. 156yds with my 8 iron.
15 years ago I took my wife to a par 3 course to teach her the basics and I holed one on a 98 yard long hole.

Big fat 0

I've never had one, but 3 close calls. The first one bent the front edge of the cup, then bounced left after hitting the flag. The second was rolling towards the hole (downhill Par 3) and lipped out. Most recently, my ball was literally hanging over the edge but didn't go in because the edge of the hole was raised like a volcano.

I have had 4 Eagle hole outs from the fairway, though.

I've had 3 within 2 inches and 5 hit the pin but never go in. I've witnessed 3. I keep telling myself one day it will happen

Have had 2. Have two buds who had one and each didn't have the honors on the next hole....Someone else also had a HIO same hole....

1995 in a Friday night league, won a bunch of $ so left it on bar. Lol

2 years ago I had two in 14 days, it was an unreal experience.

After the first I was playing with a buddy and we roll up to a tee box, he says “imagine if you got another one”... I said yeah sure, no way. Tee’d up, yoink... in the hole.
It was at a MassGOLF event and when they heard the news they had a bag ready for me with 4 dozen of prov and a few shirts.

I played yesterday and rolled one right past the pin... looked like it was going in from the teebox. Would've been an ace in two consecutive rounds! I'll be happy with my one, but man that would've been cool, dare I say epic. At least I tapped in my 1 foot birdie putt.

I have had 9 hole in ones,, and a 1/2 Hole in one. - the 1/2 is due to I was on a Par 3 and hit my Tee Shot into a Hazard... so I reloaded and it went in so I call that a 1/2 hole in one.

I've played this stupid game for 50+ years, and never got one. Been close a bunch of times. Just 2 years ago my buddy and I were playing Windmill Lakes, a really nice course in NE Ohio. On a par 3 over water of about 150 yds, I hit a shot dead at the flagstick! There was a course worker on the tee and he stopped to watch us hit. After my shot he said, "Oh! That might have gone in! It was rolling right at the cup and just disappeared!" We were all freaked out. We drive up to the green, and there's my ball a foot and a half behind the hole! Turned out the cup was cut right at the top of a little rise in the green, and the ball "disappeared" because it rolled over the edge. So, a no stress birdie. Kind of odd that I have several Eagles on par 4's!

I have had 4 since 1995, with my last one being in 2012. I have also witnessed 2.

Back