Hollow Bodies Vs Blades Vs Cavity Back

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
Which do you prefer and why?

When you go to a Club Fitter do you insist on one versus the other?

Are we open minded or set in our way?

Does it all come down to Looks and Sex Appeal?

Is it all about the Chrome? Or the Junk in the Trunk?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

For me, it’s about what let’s me shoot the best score. I know for sure that the player’s distance profile is what suits me best, which includes the hollow body irons.

The reason is that I still have decent club speed, but the extra distance from this profile assists me for sure. In addition, this profile is more forgiving than a blade. Finally, most of the options in this profile have fairly low offset, which I need, because it looks better behind the ball to my eye, but also keeps the face more square at impact, rather than turning my draw into a hook.

It doesn’t hurt that they look awesome, too.

good looks is most important. I refuse to play ugly clubs that don’t sit well to my eye. Outside of that I don’t care although I like the looks of my MP20 SEL set.

I don’t have a preference as long as it allowed me to play better.

I’ve only ever really played SGI/GI cavity backs. I’m open to whatever helps my game. I’ll find out what that is in a couple days

i have recently enjoyed playing hollow bodies. I can't manage to swing or strike consistently enough for blades. But I'm really enjoying the hollow body clubs

I don’t have a preference as long as it allowed me to play better.

I like a somewhat smaller head in my 7 iron and below, but not blades or anything. Other than that, bring on the forgiveness.

I like the cavity backs and hollow body irons.

I'm 100% set on wanting the club to look a certain way at address. Typically that has been cavity backs in the past, but now a days those Hollow body players distance irons have matched them in a lot of ways. I'd have no problem between the two, but I'm not going bigger GI irons no matter what numbers they gave me.

Considering I've never gamed hollow bodies....yet...those are out. Having played blades last year....those are out. So I guess that leaves me with cavity backs.

I have grown fond of cavity back irons.

I prefer the look of blades, but have no issue with them being hollow and filled with some polymer/foam/whatever. But I do want them with minimal blade length, minimal offset, etc. My PXG 0311T’s fit those specs perfectly.

Which do you prefer and why?

When you go to a Club Fitter do you insist on one versus the other?

Are we open minded or set in our way?

Does it all come down to Looks and Sex Appeal?

Is it all about the Chrome? Or the Junk in the Trunk?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

It’s usually about 2 things for me: the most forgiving iron I can find that doesn’t look hideous at address.

Hideous means a few things to me... I don’t want to see the bottom of the sole sticking out of the back of the club, the top line needs to be semi-thin and not too bulky and the offset needs to be minimal.

And then it comes down to feel and numbers and we’ll find a winner!

when i went to my fitting. They tried me in cavity backs although i didn't hit the ball well i did like the looks. but in the end I'm happy i got the clubs that i did which were hollow backs. the comfort and feel of a club that hits the ball well say more when you play compared to the looks of the club for me ( its not a pageant) Im trying to get up and down with the lowest strokes while still enjoying myself

I honestly think my scores would be the same with any set of irons (provided they were my specs). That being said I really enjoy smaller cavity backs. Just enough junk in the trunk to help with launch without adding too much offset or top line lard.

I've been playing a set of G700 hollow irons for about a a year and half now.On well struck pure contact shots the sound is pleasing. Mishit shots have a loud impact sound, but I find that feedback to be a good thing, helpful.

I am in the middle of this right now. Currently playing P790’s and hit them pretty well. I kind of like the length they give me, or maybe I have gotten used to it. Recently got fit at Club Champion and while I hit the 790’s great, they gave me a few fliers that went really long. We ended up on the X Forged, not sure if that is a cavity back, muscle back or what but they sure look great at address. I am a bit hesitant as to how they would come out of the rough if I don’t get all of it.
790’s seem like they could be a really good club for just about everyone IMO. Still look pretty compact at address.

My normal gamer is a set of Mizunp 919HMPs but recently Ive been enjoying a set of G700s.

Ping G400 FT with Tensei orange reg flex shaft
Callaway Rogue 3w Even Flow blue 55 reg flex shaft
Ping G400 7 wood Tensei orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2 hybrid UST Recoil reg flex shaft
Ping G410 4&5 hybrids UST Recoil shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pros 6-pw Recoil F3 95 shafts
Or
Ping G700 5-UW Recoil 780 F3 shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 SW,LW recoil F3 95 shafts
Ping Craz-e center shaft putter

Back