archery68

Reaction score
Handicap
So I live in the country and have 10 acres, 8 of which are open for use. I am wanting to build my own green and put different t boxes all over the place to have different distances for irons. I think I could hit all the way out to 200 yards or so. I have heard that there are companies that can build artificial greens that you can hit iron shots into and it will react like a real green. I know it would cost ton but zero maintenance. If i build a real one, lots of maint. and would have to buy a mower. This may be a pipe dream but would like to see about doing it. The problem is I live a grand total of maybe a mile and half from the course where I am a member, its pretty easy to get to the course and play without any problems. Small town 9 hole course. What are your thoughts/suggestions.

Since you live close to your course I would not worry about building a green. That is a lot of money that you are going to spend when you can drive/run/ride a bike/walk 1.5 miles down the road. Since you have room on your land you should still make your tee boxes and make a "landing area" to hit at. I would think it would be more beneficial for you to be locked in on distance than how the ball reacts on the green. I say this because no green is the same and each course you play the greens will react different. Just my 2cents.

yeah i have thought about the landing area thing and just build different tees. Yes it would be more beneficial to be spot on with distances rather than green reaction. I have been told there is a huge expense to having a green, either a real or artificial. Thanks for you 2 cents.

Great idea. I have almost 1000 Sq. Ft. in the back yard that I want to cover with artificial fairway turf and putting green. The cheapest price I could find so far is $1.10/sf at Turfoutlet.com. Does anybody know of another reputable source with a decent price? I really want to put it in soon so my kids can start playing (and practicing).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Since you live close to your course I would not worry about building a green. That is a lot of money that you are going to spend when you can drive/run/ride a bike/walk 1.5 miles down the road. Since you have room on your land you should still make your tee boxes and make a "landing area" to hit at. I would think it would be more beneficial for you to be locked in on distance than how the ball reacts on the green. I say this because no green is the same and each course you play the greens will react different. Just my 2cents.

^This

AND you don't really need to have a real green. You are talking about an iron driving range. No need for a green, just a nice patch of grass cut down in the size of a green. If you want to make it unique, pick a green from your favorite course and mark out the shape/size complete with traps. This will give you a fun approach, but no putter necessary.

One of the guys in my mens club builds sport courts for a living and all though he doesn't build greens himself (he hires another guy for them), he suggested to my friend that was thinking about putting in an artificial green not to go cheap. The cheap greens don't really play true, they pull up too easily and don't really last long. From what I recall his estimate for the prep,install and materials was $10/SF.

I don't know the brand or company that does the installs but having gone to the Home Show and the Golf Show in Seattle last year there were 6 to 8 different companies there that had demos.

I have been playing with the same idea of having a green at the house because my closest course is at least a 15 minute drive. I looked a lot at all pro putting greens-I think their turf may be a little pricey compared to some that I looked up, but quality my be there to justify (I have not seen any in person yet). There is a great deal of information there about how to install one yourself which would decrease the cost. Here in central Oklahoma I found that for the base and fill materials would be about $1.20 per square foot (then turf price in addtion to that) so I plan on putting one in this winter if I can get the OK from the boss, because who would not want to walk out their back door and practice putting and chipping every day? I feel certain that scores could drop tremendously.

In theory it sounds great but would you use all the time or enough to justify the cost?

The idea of tee boxes with a landing area sounds much more realistic to me. You will still have plenty of up keep with the tee boxes let alone a green.

Why not just one tee box, and then mow yourself a nice fairway? Put some flags down the middle of the fairway every 10 yards or so to determine distance and use the flags as "holes" if you want something to aim at.

Good stuff from everyone. I appreciate the input. Some things to think about. Where is used to live, I had 50 acres and every night when I got home I would hit my driver out into the hay field, I would take a few irons with me and hit all the balls that I found back towards the barn, I would take my Lab dog with me and he would find several that i did not find. Point being my game was better then when I was hitting balls every day of course. If I had a practice putting/chipping green if I had 10 mins at home i think I would use it. Lots of thoughts going through the brain. Thanks again to everyone so far.

Back