Home Putting Green Speed

Id want something probably kind of moderate, so that I would have a pretty even feel for both fast greens and slow greens. Maybe something around an 8. Practicing on very fast greens doesnt really do you much good when you play munis that have slow greens because youre going to putt it like you think you should and then leave everything short.

11-12. I struggle in the summer here when things dry out and get quick.

I ordered mine to be around a 10. That seems to be a good speed for the places I’d play most often.

10. There aren’t many courses that are faster than that the majority of the time, especially public courses.

I think it’s been said here plenty of times, but most people overestimate green speed.

10-11 sounds good, as long as they roll pure. That’s the important piece for me.

This! True roll is more important to me than speed. That being said, 10-11 is probably fine.

I'd like a faster practice green, maybe 13-15. I like faster greens and that would help me with my touch.
This is exactly the inspiration for what I did with my green in getting it to 14. Needed to slow myself down, encourage more stroke than pop. Helped.

Sand based green so I can only get it there with a tune-up (gently raking then adding top-fill) and rolling. Even without all the extra effort yet with just a quick roll, it sits at 12 for fairly long stretches throughout the year.

I definitely prefer it on the faster side as I have a much easier time adjusting to slower greens vs those significantly faster than what I'm used to.

What did you order?
I have a birdie ball. They had a sale going on last year so I decided to try it. Not necessarily in love, but it does the trick for now.

I would want at least 10 but no more than 12 for a home green. This would keep me close to what I play on in the real world.

I don’t really care what number it ran at. It would be the most beneficial to me if the greens ran a similar speed to my home club. What that speed, is, I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting question & one that I’ve never thought about. I think I would rather have my home green run a tad bit faster to allow me to focus on speed control. So anywhere in the range of 10-12 would work.

I used to have one and it ran 10-11. I loved having it but we wound up moving and I couldn’t convince my wife to put another one in.

Back