ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I have been thinking about starting my own little home club repair shop where I can do my own regripping and reshafting. I know places like golfsmith will sell you the basic setups that you will need. Does anyone out there have their own golf repair shop? What tools would you recommend for someone looking to start. I'm thinking a regripping station and a shaft puller. What would you recommend?

I would recommend starting with the gripping station first. Everyone here would say you dont need much for that but there are some expensive cool looking grip stations you can purchase or you could just get a vice grip and something to remove the grips with.

I will have a great little thread about this as soon as our new one gets completely setup. We have all the pieces that we use, but have not finished unpacking everything as of yet.

If you are just doing regripping and reshafting, you can get by with just some basics.

I like using a shaft puller to pull my shafts. Not all shaft pullers are created equally of course.
Heat gun/torch - Its a must to have.
Shaft cutter - People use all different things from circular saw to dremel. A cut-off saw is popular
Vice - Get something good. I use our shaft puller for most of my vice needs, but also have a nice vice that works well.
Air compressor - Not necessary, but since I use this system to regrip, it is what I like
Utlity knife - A must have
Ferrule Kit - Get a large selection
digital scale - For weighting
Swing Weight Scale - Definitely a must
48" ruler - I like the aluminum kind

There are obviously a ton more things in a shop, but these to me are essential tools for the basics for just reshafting and regripping.

Other needs are
epoxy
regular tools
toothpicks
q-tips
I could go on and on.

Yup. Get something to catch the mineral spirits or whatever you use for the grips. Unless you go Pure Grip. Still a vice is cool to have.

Maybe a shaft puller? I'm thinking of reshafting my own wedges. Not sure if you need one for that. But JB has a real cool one he said.

JB, does it matter what you use to cut a graphite shaft?

I will have a great little thread about this as soon as our new one gets completely setup. We have all the pieces that we use, but have not finished unpacking everything as of yet.

If you are just doing regripping and reshafting, you can get by with just some basics.

I like using a shaft puller to pull my shafts. Not all shaft pullers are created equally of course.
Heat gun/torch - Its a must to have.
Shaft cutter - People use all different things from circular saw to dremel. A cut-off saw is popular
Vice - Get something good. I use our shaft puller for most of my vice needs, but also have a nice vice that works well.
Air compressor - Not necessary, but since I use this system to regrip, it is what I like
Utlity knife - A must have
Ferrule Kit - Get a large selection
digital scale - For weighting
Swing Weight Scale - Definitely a must
48" ruler - I like the aluminum kind

There are obviously a ton more things in a shop, but these to me are essential tools for the basics for just reshafting and regripping.

Other needs are
epoxy
regular tools
toothpicks
q-tips
I could go on and on.

*deletes poopie post I put up responding to this*

JB, does it matter what you use to cut a graphite shaft?

Of course it does. I use a cut-off saw for most of my cutting. But I have used everything from a table saw to a dremel.

• Staff
JB do you have a power sander or some sorts for when you reshaft?

Of course it does. I use a cut-off saw for most of my cutting. But I have used everything from a table saw to a dremel.

you could prop use the same thing plumbers use to cut pipes. Good clean cuts

JB do you have a power sander or some sorts for when you reshaft?

I use a belt sander. I forgot about that one because my cut-off saw is attached to it. Its one machine that does both.

Cool. Kinda what I thought, wasn't going to take a hack saw to it but figured couldn't just be any little saw. haha.

DDec, I can't wait to see what you put together. It's going to be a great project.

DDec, I can't wait to see what you put together. It's going to be a great project.

I know Jenn's dad loves to get me different tools for christmas so I thought I'd put together this thread to get some ideas.

Thats awesome man. You gonna put up some pictures as it keeps building????
I know Jenn's dad loves to get me different tools for christmas so I thought I'd put together this thread to get some ideas.

Thats awesome man. You gonna put up some pictures as it keeps building????

haha once it starts building I will. I started thinking about it because I am looking to install spinner shafts in my wedges. To install 3 it would cost me 60 bucks. I assisted with that kind of stuff when I worked at Golf Galaxy so I am sure I can handle it.

Classic!

Thats what I was thinking. Lol if I need help Ill call you.
haha once it starts building I will. I started thinking about it because I am looking to install spinner shafts in my wedges. To install 3 it would cost me 60 bucks. I assisted with that kind of stuff when I worked at Golf Galaxy so I am sure I can handle it.

While it is no where near completed, as you can see by the lack of tools set up (they are in cabinets), the shop is coming together. I had missed having it and it taking shape is fun. Now to start putting everything together and completing the task.

44cf65e5-d190-b3c9.jpg

44cf65e5-d1a2-ece5.jpg

Give me a budget and I'll give you the list of tools to buy.

I can't take my eyes off the shoes.....

I assume you mean the OP. :angel:

yes to the OP.You already stated you have all of your equpment,just not unboxed and ready to be used.

I can't take my eyes off the shoes.....

Im the right two shelves, and GG is the left. These are just our golf shoes though. :beat-up:

where's the fridge with the beer? a self respecting garage shop has to have a beer fridge.

where's the fridge with the beer? a self respecting garage shop has to have a beer fridge.

I don't drink and play with torches....:alien:

:D gotcha

Back