Hook blade for me too. Get them at HD or Lowes where the carpet knives are

If you're looking for a detachable vise solution a Zyliss vise is great if you can track one down on the bay:
7ee04f653f6840e9fb5bb6d1d3c0fc58.jpg

For clamping shafts I just keep an old grip handy. Wrap the grip around the shaft so the grip taper opposes the shaft taper and clamp away. You'll have to cut the end cap off the grip. Use a hook blade.

I install grips with a compressor so I don't have a tape/solvent setup.

One more quick question: Grip removals, what do you boys use? I've always used a straight blade for taking them off with steel shafts but these graphite shafts are a bit more soft. Process to use with graphite?

Hook blade dude, home center store sells them in a 5 pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hook blade dude, home center store sells them in a 5 pack.
Yep, I use a hook blade. Get it under the grip and then pull. Graphite shaft stays safe and it's done in a couple of seconds.
Never would have thought of that. Nice. What kind of bottle do you use to store/use for the solution?
A WD-40 can ... filled with WD-40.

If you have the bench, i would go this route & save money. Will work just as good.

Clamp https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-3-in-Clamp-On-Vise/50168509

Shaft Clamp https://www.golfworks.com/rubber-shaft-clamp/p/RSC/

I have the same set up and haven't had any issues. I don't use a catch pan for solvent as I do it a little differently with better, for me, results.

I started pouring the solvent into a spray bottle, spray the tape and spray into the grip then slide on. Not much mess to worry with where I'm doing it.

One more quick question: Grip removals, what do you boys use? I've always used a straight blade for taking them off with steel shafts but these graphite shafts are a bit more soft. Process to use with graphite?

With steel, I just use a regular box cutter, utility knife, on graphite I like a hook blade and be careful. Or have somebody else do it so I have them to blame rather than me.

Alright thread revival time. FINALLY have my garage built and am starting to populate it with tools. Obviously shaft puller is on the top of the list. There's some roberts style ones out there on ebay/amazon but not sure if I should gamble or go with a more expensive option from one of the usual retailers. So...

Post up what shaft puller you're using, where you got it and any feedback please to help me decide what to buy! Bonus points for pictures/links.

Alright thread revival time. FINALLY have my garage built and am starting to populate it with tools. Obviously shaft puller is on the top of the list. There's some roberts style ones out there on ebay/amazon but not sure if I should gamble or go with a more expensive option from one of the usual retailers. So...

Post up what shaft puller you're using, where you got it and any feedback please to help me decide what to buy! Bonus points for pictures/links.

Most of the tools we use come from Golf Mechanix. Definitely check them out if you're wanting to build a serious set up. I believe The Golf Works is their US distributor

Most of the tools we use come from Golf Mechanix. Definitely check them out if you're wanting to build a serious set up. I believe The Golf Works is their US distributor

For sure. Golf Mechanix is one of my go tos for tools. They are a bit pricey but worth it from what I've seen.

So thank you to those that recommended the heat gun for removing he old tape on shafts during the regriping process. Soooo much easier and quicker!! And the hook knife to remove old grips is a must! Shop is coming together.

8896b5f9ee3f328e821590ba2e80ea20.jpg

Back