Ya, I have read that thread but I like that with the tape I can build up where I want to for a grip that just feels right. Next I will be regripping my irons and then I would like to start tinkering some shafts.

I know about the tapeless grip stuff, but I still like to use tape and spiral tape at that. I use the 3/4" tape and spiral wrap it around the shaft so that there are no unwanted seams or ridges. As far as using tape versus not using it, I look at it this way - every OEM club I've ever owned has tape under the grip. If not using tape was actually preferred, I think that manufacturers would do it that way because it would save time and money. But since they still use tape (as far as I know), there must be a reason for it because if they could save something by not using it, I think they would.

Ya, I have read that thread but I like that with the tape I can build up where I want to for a grip that just feels right. Next I will be regripping my irons and then I would like to start tinkering some shafts.

It's how I started, you're officially addicted! I do all my club work myself but like Hoosier I don't do graphite shafts, I don't have the money or equipment for that yet. Maybe eventually but with the new technology coming out maybe pulling and installing graphite shafts will be a thing of the past.

It's how I started, you're officially addicted! I do all my club work myself but like Hoosier I don't do graphite shafts, I don't have the money or equipment for that yet. Maybe eventually but with the new technology coming out maybe pulling and installing graphite shafts will be a thing of the past.

Ya I really enjoyed it and will do must of my own club work from now on. The addiction continues.

Ya I really enjoyed it and will do must of my own club work from now on. The addiction continues.

It does, your no longer limited to different clubs, but shafts, grips, custom ferrules and paintfills! That and I find it pretty rewarding to play with clubs that I worked on.

It does, your no longer limited to different clubs, but shafts, grips, custom ferrules and paintfills! That and I find it pretty rewarding to play with clubs that I worked on.

I can now see what your talking about.

A question for you gentleman that have done a lot more of this than my one grip. What lighter fluid brand do you use to slide your grips on, or what other product?

Fairly quickly but it gives you a few minutes to adjust the grip and make sure it's straight and aligned properly, once I've done all the grips I just turn the clubs upside down on a papertowel and they're all dried up within 1-2 hours.

Fairly quickly but it gives you a few minutes to adjust the grip and make sure it's straight and aligned properly, once I've done all the grips I just turn the clubs upside down on a papertowel and they're all dried up within 1-2 hours.

Thanks a lot thats great.

No problem, I'm not a professional or anything but I've done quite a bit myself with great results, if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

Was this your first attempt? I'm probaly skimming here.

Yep was my first attempt and it turned out great...except these shafts feel like 2x4's compared to the noodles I was playing before! So weird looking down on a stepless steel shaft. I am OCD to the max =(

Today I am going to make my first attempt at reshafting a 3 wood. I had the shaft pulled by a pro but I am going to cut down, install and regrip the club myself. It is an Adams Ovation 3 wood head that I really like but the shaft was terrible. I bought a Graphite Design Purshing shaft to put in that I got for $10 on ebay so if I mess up I wont be too concerned, plus I'm not gaming the 3 wood right now anyway.

for anyone who used a dremel/rotary tool to cut a shaft, did you have any issues?

for anyone who used a dremel/rotary tool to cut a shaft, did you have any issues?

Used both a chop saw and dremel and never had any issues.

debating on buying a chop saw, I do have a dremel tool that I could use though

Ok so tonight I removed the grip from my Method putter and cut it down using a dremel. It was pretty easy. I then went and fired up the air compressor and installed the grip. I love have that air compressor and pure grip gun, it's incredibly easy to install grips that way.

Make sure when just trimming like that, that you are careful with weight and swing weight.

Make sure when just trimming like that, that you are careful with weight and swing weight.

yeah I didn't go crazy, I didn't convert to a 28 inch putter yet

debating on buying a chop saw, I do have a dremel tool that I could use though

If your just doing shaft work no need really for a chop saw. I use a simple tube cutter. Works fine. Just needs to be a sharp wheel for graphite.

tube_cutter_01.jpg

If your just doing shaft work no need really for a chop saw. I use a simple tube cutter. Works fine. Just needs to be a sharp wheel for graphite.

tube_cutter_01.jpg

yeah I saw those, I ended up using a dremel and it worked fine. I was kind of looking for an excuse to buy more tools

yeah I saw those, I ended up using a dremel and it worked fine. I was kind of looking for an excuse to buy more tools

I hear ya! I had to have a good excuse with the wife everytime I added something.

I hear ya! I had to have a good excuse with the wife everytime I added something.

how do those tube cutters anyway? I've read some mixed reviews on them. They seem simple enough and aren't expensive

how do those tube cutters anyway? I've read some mixed reviews on them. They seem simple enough and aren't expensive

They work great but you need to buy a decent one. Cheap ones suck and will cause you more trouble than not. I used my Snap On one I use for steel fuel/brake line at work and it works great.

tube_cutter_01.jpg

You should never use those for graphite shafts, they could easily damage the shaft!

Back