Home Sim Build in Small Dangerous Places :)

the five foot depth enclosure is to protect either an errant ball or a deflected ball, but to also shade the screen.

ive been reading quite a bit and from what I can tell you should be at LEAST 10' from the screen for an appropriate hitting distance. That would leave a 5' gap between you and the enclosure if it came out 5' from the screen. That's a ton of room for error if you have glass....

I think the glass absolutely will have to be covered - it's just inevitable a ball is going to go off course at some point and unless I'm going with Almost Golf Balls, the risk of glass breaking is just too high. I will definitely not be hitting much further than 5-6' away from the screen and the reason for that it's a gabled roof where the ceiling slants down on the hitting screen end and also on the hitting mat end. So while the room is technically 15' long, that is deceptive because the space a club can be swung is probably 4-5' less than that.

My *tentative* plan is to cut 1/2" thick plastic sheets to size, then superglue double-sided suction cups to one side, so the panel can just be 'stuck' to the glass as a temporary cover.

Last edited:
My biggest concern with the build is window protection. I'm having 2nd thoughts about suction cups and cut plastic panels and thinking maybe I just cover all exposed glass walls with something like this:

Seems like that would be a fairly lightweight cost-effective barrier and could possibly put a layer of insulation board behind it for further padding?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a downer, you're seeking advice from the best IMO so hopefully THPers will help you design something special and safe. But IDK if that bead board would be up for the job:unsure: I was hitting 9 irons way up over my boat garage and the trees behind it when I accidentally bladed one. I was about 40 yards away from my garage and have an old man's slow swing but that ball still went straight through the siding and the 3/8" wall board behind. Left a perfect 1.68" diameter hole and a ball nestled against some old carpet rolls along the opposite wall. I fixed that one B4 my wife learned of it. I also have experience shanking a GW through my dining room window on the very first day I built an outdoor hitting area. Couldn't hide that one from her nor the $370 it cost me to fix that window. As per ball energy and damage potential, that ball only traveled about 20 yards and only had the energy to bust the outer pane. It hit the window at an angle though and was traveling upward as well. I found it on the other side of my privacy fence about 50 yards from the window

Last edited:
I LOLed :LOL: But on a serious note, for those that have hitting enclosures, what are thoughts on the depth - I've not found a ton of info on recommended minimum depth. Almost all the pre-made enclosures are 5' deep. But there are some versions of hitting screens I've seen that don't appear to have any side or top protection at all. I don't know whether the function of the 'enclosure' is more to keep screens dark for better projection, or how much they serve to catch/contain the ball?

I really don't have a choice... as I think if I went with 5' deep it's going to be too constraining/limit the swing area too much.

With right handed golfers I would try to come as deep as possible on the right side in case of the occasional lateral shot. I can’t remember the last time I was hosel adjacent on the golf course but I get there periodically on the simulator when I am trying different things with my swing. I did it twice this morning then went out and played and didn’t come close to having that issue.

Color me jealous that looks like an awesome project.

Carl's does do custom enclosures, so that's good news - will be able to get the exact size I am looking for. ***Just in case anyone else goes this route, they are not able to cut the 1" EMT tubing sections for you for custom sizes, but that is not a big deal. @Daddio, you're not a downer brother, I appreciate the thoughts and I'm asking a ton of questions because I have no experience in building a sim and am unsure. Yeah, on the one hand it seems unlikely that whatever I use for a glass barrier, it wouldn't be taking a direct shot - much more likely a glancing blow so that might help. Almost every bit of the space directly in front of the hitting mat will be covered by enclosure. Still, I don't doubt your point. I'm going to go to Home Depot this week and physically look at materials. Ultimately, if I had to I could go with plain old plywood, but I'm looking for something lighter. Basically, I need a material that is extremely hard and light that comes in large sheets 4'x8' or so.

Last edited:
I'd suggest some of the 3M roll that you can apply to the window. It won't stop the window from shattering but it will help it stay together if it does shatter. I've got some on my french door at my house. It's a gold/bronze and adds a bit of tint. I used it to try to keep the afternoon sun from heating up my dining room too much and it works fine. I applied it myself with a spray bottle and some water and window cleaner (I think) and a squeegee and a razor knife to trim it on the edges.

For impact protection, I'd suggest something like poly carbonate sheets. It's the same stuff bullet resistant shields are made out of and it's tough stuff. Plus it won't block the light.
Or, maybe some panels of sheetmetal. It would dent before it would tear. Only thing is you wouldn't have any light come in through them.

Good luck with the build. Looking forward to seeing the final result. Wish I had the room for one :mad:

Carl's and Indoor Golf both have net extensions for the sides of your sim. You might want to look into those options to help you out.

Carl's and Indoor Golf both have net extensions for the sides of your sim. You might want to look into those options to help you out.

i did order the extensions - thanks!

Decided to cover the glass using MDF board. It is tougher than plywood and cheaper by far than any of the other options I saw, can be painted. Don't think a golf ball is going through this. Question now is how to secure it over glass space :)

My best friend is trying to convince me that the enclosure and side nets and maybe covering any glass behind the hitting screen should be enough protection …

Just me, but it seems that anything suction cupped to a window could pass on vibrations that might weaken/crack the glass. What about a quality archery netting on the sides on rods that could be extended and pushed into the corner. Maybe weighted on the bottom to keep them from “stretching” into the glass if there’s an miss hit?

I think I found my window solution… padded gym mats secured with Velcro strips. They have 2” of polyurethane padding. Can’t imagine anything getting through that and should spread any energy from the ball. These are what I’m referring to…

3039DDF2-663B-4FD5-BB62-8BEDA1DE2F82.jpeg

I think I found my window solution… padded gym mats secured with Velcro strips. They have 2” of polyurethane padding. Can’t imagine anything getting through that and should spread any energy from the ball. These are what I’m referring to…

View attachment 9051146
I actually saw these in a school gymnasium covering some windows and a sliding glass door. It led out to a courtyard and the pads were on barn door sliders to move them to the sides so the windows and door could be used

They had a version that had a wood backing, but more $$, much heavier, and more complicated hanging brackets (vs Velcro strips). I think errant shots will be rare enough and the mats alone strong enough to do the job.

So question for you Skytrak veterans. It will be 3-4 weeks before I get my sim room up and running. For my hitting mat I will be using a right handed 4x7 Fiber Built mat. It comes with adjustable tee holes (for the kind of tees that are attached from the bottom of the mat). In other words, the tee once inserted is a permanent part of the mat (until it breaks and has to be replaced).

For anyone who has used the mat-inserted adjustable tees... so it's clear that to read accurately the ball must be placed on or very near the red laser dot of the Skytrak. How do you manage a fairway shot following the tee shot since obviously the red dot is going to be set up on the base of the tee? Moving the Skytrak is obviously not ideal (and would be a pain to do every time. Can the fairway ball be set 'close' to the tee hole (adjacent to it) and still get reliably picked up by Skytrak. I don't think putting a ball down in front of or behind the tee would work because apparently the tees don't complete collapse below the mat surface but always sit up a little bit.

I know there are other tee options where this wouldn't be an issue but since I got the mat with tee holes in it before I realized this potential issue. Wondering if someone has figured this out or if I'm just overthinking it?

That didn't work for me. What I found was that if I used those tees I needed to move the Skytrak after a tee shot. That was a non-starter. I found these

BirTee Pro Winter/Mat Golf Tees - 8 Pack

to work really well and let me keep the Skytrak positioned in one place.

Yeah - I think I'm quickly coming to the same conclusion. Bought a sample of the Birtie tees, Tomahawk tees, and the Tee Claw and will see which works the best. Thanks for the input!

Yeah - I think I'm quickly coming to the same conclusion. Bought a sample of the Birtie tees, Tomahawk tees, and the Tee Claw and will see which works the best. Thanks for the input!
With a 7.5 foot ceiling it may be you won’t be able to reliably get a full backswing with the longer woods. The recommendation I’ve seen online for a driver is about a 10’ ceiling.

People with lower ceilings tend to shorten or flatten their backswing and follow through to avoid hitting anything. That can instill bad swing habits for the course and shorten your distances. I have an 8’ ceiling and ultimately had to use irons and hybrids only.

Just something to consider. I also recommend the Skytrak protector. I’ve shanked a few but so have friends/kids playing and Skytraks are expensive to repair

No - just the front and back ceilings are 7.5 ft. At the center of the room (roughly where the hitting mat will be) is 9.5 ft. I think it will allow for all clubs to be swung, especially since I think the hitting mat is going to only be 6 feet or so from the impact screen.

Small space requires some adjustments ;)

Last edited:
So question for you Skytrak veterans. It will be 3-4 weeks before I get my sim room up and running. For my hitting mat I will be using a right handed 4x7 Fiber Built mat. It comes with adjustable tee holes (for the kind of tees that are attached from the bottom of the mat). In other words, the tee once inserted is a permanent part of the mat (until it breaks and has to be replaced).

For anyone who has used the mat-inserted adjustable tees... so it's clear that to read accurately the ball must be placed on or very near the red laser dot of the Skytrak. How do you manage a fairway shot following the tee shot since obviously the red dot is going to be set up on the base of the tee? Moving the Skytrak is obviously not ideal (and would be a pain to do every time. Can the fairway ball be set 'close' to the tee hole (adjacent to it) and still get reliably picked up by Skytrak. I don't think putting a ball down in front of or behind the tee would work because apparently the tees don't complete collapse below the mat surface but always sit up a little bit.

I know there are other tee options where this wouldn't be an issue but since I got the mat with tee holes in it before I realized this potential issue. Wondering if someone has figured this out or if I'm just overthinking it?
I’m about to begin testing a mat from indoor golf shop that I was told is better than my fiber built at less money. The way they piece together rooms at less, blows places like Carls away.

My sim room build is part indoor golf, part Carl's. I've been impressed with the customer service from both. As for pricing, I think as soon as something as labeled as 'Golf Simulator-related', the price goes WAY up. The floor mount I went with to house my projector was $300+ and it's basically a plastic box with some cheap astro turf slapped on it, lol... Look forward to hearing about the new mat!

I made my last sim room purchases (I hope!) yesterday. Got some nice astroturf to lay down over the existing carpet and purchased TGC 2019. My wife made me promise to wait until after the holidays to mess around with the space so this is going to be the longest 4 weeks ever (my buddy is coming down the first week in January to help me with the install.

So I have a month to obsess about the details :p

I'm trying to decide whether or not to just put my Fiberbuilt mat on top of the astroturf (which probably makes the most logical sense) or whether to cut out a section of the astroturf so that my hitting mat is roughly flush with the turf. Aesthetically that is appealing, and it would give me an extra inch of swing height... but yikes - not sure if I want to be that bold. It's a big mat - 4'x7'.

I’m about to begin testing a mat from indoor golf shop that I was told is better than my fiber built at less money. The way they piece together rooms at less, blows places like Carls away.
what mat is that? I'm looking for a mat to set up an outdoor hitting bay behind my garage.

I'm in the same boat, my only room with enough ceiling height (10') is my sun room with glass on 3 walls. I'm probably going to with a retractable screen and wooden shutters on the windows. I look forward to following along with your build for ideas!

Back