Honest Opinion of Your Golf Game/New Outlook

Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
First up let me submit the mighty Smiter.

I’ve come to the realization that I now suck. The past couple years I’ve fought several medical issues. I’m still fighting and believe me when I tell you it’s a fight.

No excuses though. I only played 12 or so rounds this year. I stopped keeping a HC but I’m likely around 10-12. The issue there is I have crazy good rounds just enough to keep me there. I’ve had rounds where I’ve almost missed with my driver. Not center face, I’m talking an actual miss. Yikes! I can look like a 5 or I can look like a 25. I’ve almost missed at least once with every THP’er I’ve ever played with. I only have one good round I’ve ever played with THP’ers as far as relation to par is concerned.

Performance anxiety? Probably. Most of y’all are better golfers and even if you aren’t as good looking as me ( 👀 ), it’s intimidating when you haven’t played a competitive round in a long while.

My CHS is now 110-. I can probably top 115 if I don’t worry about hitting the ball. With the swing I’m working on, 102-105 is where I max out, but it’s looking promising. I can’t stop hitting up on the ball (too much) from long drive days, but I’m now trying a lighter weight shaft in S flex. So far it’s promising. I’ve got a Trackman 4 session on Saturday so I’ll see what it is for sure from every perspective. I have a couple clubs a kind THP’er sent my way to try, so naturally I have to see what they offer as well. Seriously considering the one set (sub 70) for my good golfing kid. He likes the look of the Sub 70 club. At their price if he hits it remotely well, I now have Xmas ideas for him. He’ll easily overpower the shaft but he’s smooth enough it might work out. If not those, Cobra MIM’s? Delightful. He doesn’t need distance he needs to hit a number.

That, that... should be interesting. I’ve long played R-flex in irons as I didn’t see much difference in steel iron shafts. I can feel R-flex and it helps deloft the clubs with lag. These shafts and SW’s are too light but it’ll be my first time hitting real grown up graphite iron shafts. I have a feeling that I’ll prefer steel but I have an open mind on it. If impact feels and looks great I can always go heavier. Serious ponder if they do anything well. I’ve been jaded by 20 years ago graphite iron shafts. The Burner Bubble was not a legit shaft. Can’t hit anything with that, lol-so that’s when I gave up.

I won’t lie, the thought of graphite in irons intrigues me, but I need to find something that I can make work.

Overall this year I’ve had one round under par, 4 rounds in the mid 70’s, three rounds +100, and the fugly rest in between.

Half of my rounds were played with THP’ers so I’d still chalk it up to a good year. I hope next year is filled with golfing with THP’ers. As someone with mortality staring in their face, it’s become much more about the quality than the quantity.

I haven’t had a bad round with a THP’er yet. Speaks volumes about this place and the people here.

Long winded, I know. Sorry. Long way of saying, for those I’ve shared a round with, I hope to meet again. For those that haven’t, I hope to share a round soon.

I’m no better nor worse than starting the season. I didn’t have as many low scores as usual, but at least I maintained the standard number of high scores. Golf is frustrating sometimes. For me it’s when my mind is in the game but my body has other plans. That stinks.

At this point though I’m just appreciative of any day I can be out on the course. Very appreciative.

So how was your season? Are you better/worse? Is there something you know you aren’t doing right that you need to fix? Is there a secret area of your game that is exceptional OR an area that needs work?

Spill it and feel free to ask me any questions too, because... why not??

i’ve worked really hard this year. i’ve spent a fair bit on lessons. and while there have been flashes of good golf, there have been more days like today where it was just bad in all respects. it’s at the point i don’t want to play with anyone else because it can be so bad.

i’ve worked really hard this year. i’ve spent a fair bit on lessons. and while there have been flashes of good golf, there have been more days like today where it was just bad in all respects. it’s at the point i don’t want to play with anyone else because it can be so bad.

I’ve been embarrassed every time I’ve teed it up with actual golfers (THP’ers). For whatever reason my mental game is retched.

Usually I know if my game is going to suck based on how I feel. There’s been a couple rounds I’ve felt ok and just totally been a steaming pile of 💩.

So at least that parts normal.

I played a lot this year, so it was a great year for golf! My play was starting to get consistent in late summer, but life and injury derailed that a bit. I’ve been practicing more lately and my game has returned. I will be practicing on the garage SkyTrak this winter and potentially explore lessons early next year depending on my progress.
C0496DB1-A5E1-4235-89BF-C50B46BC2AF6.jpeg

Haven't you said you've barely gotten out on the course this year? I'd bet lack of time on the course is the biggest thing holding you back from getting closer to where you used to be. I played the most golf I ever did this year and I ended the year with my lowest handicap ever - hardly a coincidence imo.

I’m worse, but played a lot of golf. Quality of golf was poor, but the company it was shared with has been outstanding.

I’m a big fan of the Smiter novels lol

I mean it wasn’t quite, but I figure as an opening salvo, you should state your mind?

It just takes me a while.

So between the end year outside last season to end of year outside this year, I've almost entirely turned over my bag and self fit myself. No idea if it was that or the commitment to working on my swing last winter (most likely both) but this was my most satisfying season by a long shot!

Best ball striking I've ever had, most consistency (mostly) and my fastest swing speed to date. I went from 98-100 CHS last season up to 108-110 this year (at least according to last season sim sessions and then my last three sim sessions these last two weeks) Working out and keeping my fitness in mind has helped with that as well.

I also, towards the end of last season, I was between a 16.5-18 cap when I won my flight at our club tournament. This year I got it down to a low of 5.8. That was about a month ago and though I'm currently back up to 7.3(had a rough couple last rounds before the snow hit), I couldn't be happier with how my golf game has been progressing!

First up let me submit the mighty Smiter.

I’ve come to the realization that I now suck. The past couple years I’ve fought several medical issues. I’m still fighting and believe me when I tell you it’s a fight.

No excuses though. I only played 12 or so rounds this year. I stopped keeping a HC but I’m likely around 10-12. The issue there is I have crazy good rounds just enough to keep me there. I’ve had rounds where I’ve almost missed with my driver. Not center face, I’m talking an actual miss. Yikes! I can look like a 5 or I can look like a 25. I’ve almost missed at least once with every THP’er I’ve ever played with. I only have one good round I’ve ever played with THP’ers as far as relation to par is concerned.

Performance anxiety? Probably. Most of y’all are better golfers and even if you aren’t as good looking as me ( 👀 ), it’s intimidating when you haven’t played a competitive round in a long while.

My CHS is now 110-. I can probably top 115 if I don’t worry about hitting the ball. With the swing I’m working on, 102-105 is where I max out, but it’s looking promising. I can’t stop hitting up on the ball (too much) from long drive days, but I’m now trying a lighter weight shaft in S flex. So far it’s promising. I’ve got a Trackman 4 session on Saturday so I’ll see what it is for sure from every perspective. I have a couple clubs a kind THP’er sent my way to try, so naturally I have to see what they offer as well. Seriously considering the one set (sub 70) for my good golfing kid. He likes the look of the Sub 70 club. At their price if he hits it remotely well, I now have Xmas ideas for him. He’ll easily overpower the shaft but he’s smooth enough it might work out. If not those, Cobra MIM’s? Delightful. He doesn’t need distance he needs to hit a number.

That, that... should be interesting. I’ve long played R-flex in irons as I didn’t see much difference in steel iron shafts. I can feel R-flex and it helps deloft the clubs with lag. These shafts and SW’s are too light but it’ll be my first time hitting real grown up graphite iron shafts. I have a feeling that I’ll prefer steel but I have an open mind on it. If impact feels and looks great I can always go heavier. Serious ponder if they do anything well. I’ve been jaded by 20 years ago graphite iron shafts. The Burner Bubble was not a legit shaft. Can’t hit anything with that, lol-so that’s when I gave up.

I won’t lie, the thought of graphite in irons intrigues me, but I need to find something that I can make work.

Overall this year I’ve had one round under par, 4 rounds in the mid 70’s, three rounds +100, and the fugly rest in between.

Half of my rounds were played with THP’ers so I’d still chalk it up to a good year. I hope next year is filled with golfing with THP’ers. As someone with mortality staring in their face, it’s become much more about the quality than the quantity.

I haven’t had a bad round with a THP’er yet. Speaks volumes about this place and the people here.

Long winded, I know. Sorry. Long way of saying, for those I’ve shared a round with, I hope to meet again. For those that haven’t, I hope to share a round soon.

I’m no better nor worse than starting the season. I didn’t have as many low scores as usual, but at least I maintained the standard number of high scores. Golf is frustrating sometimes. For me it’s when my mind is in the game but my body has other plans. That stinks.

At this point though I’m just appreciative of any day I can be out on the course. Very appreciative.

So how was your season? Are you better/worse? Is there something you know you aren’t doing right that you need to fix? Is there a secret area of your game that is exceptional OR an area that needs work?

I’m completely lost @Smiter. :ROFLMAO: I’m around a 10 HC. I think all over the place is part of the territory. It’s a tough spot to be. Specially with the new HC system. My scores are all over the place with just enough to keep me in that range. The others, well let’s just say less than desirable. ;)

Haven't you said you've barely gotten out on the course this year? I'd bet lack of time on the course is the biggest thing holding you back from getting closer to where you used to be. I played the most golf I ever did this year and I ended the year with my lowest handicap ever - hardly a coincidence imo.

Excellent point! When I first became decent I played 54 holes or so a day for months on end (minus date nights and weather). I also practiced like a maniac because once 4pm hit I was always stuck behind a league. So from then until dark I’d just practice from every spot imaginable.

I have no one to blame but myself. I could practice and/or play 3-4 times a week easily. I’m sure I’d gain some degree of consistency if I did that. I just generally don’t feel up to it.

I’ve learned to embrace the suck. I can’t get upset if I don’t put in the work. Since I haven’t done that, it’s on me. I told my kid the same thing when he missed state by one stroke: you put in the work or shut it. You want a shoulder, work hard and fall short. If you don’t swing a club for 9 months and expect to be good? Life lesson in there.

I’ll admit it, lol. I haven’t looked good most of the year other than a single locked in “I’m mad at my dad’ beatdown when I was locked in on what might as well be my home course and I went lowish.

Other than that and a few mid 70’s from 5600 yards, I pretty much stunk. That course is a HC killer though as it’s par 71 but rated like 66.8 or something stupid low. A 76-80 is what I’m supposed to score there. I generally do, but can shoot the same score with nothing more than a 7i. They left the pins in the same spot the entire season though (fu Covid!) and it became impossible to make a putt due to crowning and the traffic marks around them.

Plus I put $100 on my kid hitting that green. He landed it 4ft away from the pin. Freaking sucker pin! It rolled right back off despite being on line and 4ft short.

Easiest 100.00 I could win and toughest 100.00 I’ve ever lost. Kid felt guilty. Hit a great shot under pressure but was dealing with a 15ft deep landing area. Came up 6” shy of being on the right level. He felt bad until I assured him I was the dumba**. It was smart money until it wasn’t. He’s about a 5HC that’s short game is what holds him back. Total 180* flip as he was 5’2” last year (and rapidly growing) and his short game usually was his salvation.

Funny part is I hit the top level and stayed there. 8ft for birdie pin high and left. Should have bet on me instead of promising the kid some $$ if he won some.

I’m completely lost @Smiter. :ROFLMAO: I’m around a 10 HC. I think all over the place is part of the territory. It’s a tough spot to be. Specially with the new HC system. My scores are all over the place with just enough to keep me in that range. The others, well let’s just say less than desirable. ;)

Well..... you and I play a similar game right now then (please lord let us improve).

I have exactly one low score in about 15 rounds with THP’ers. It’s not so much that I stink, it’s more the consistency of doing so that gets to me. I always allowed for a bad game mentally. But when physically finally caught up, it’s mostly not been good.

But I’m still alive and still love being here. Until someone tells me something opposing that I suppose y’all have to put up with me.

Sorry 😁

I've completely taken my foot off the gas this year, both physically and mentally. Ironically I had my most successful year yet in my League somehow...probably my new mental state of "who gives a crap?".

Played with a local pro recently who said that "You have the course management and short game of a scratch golfer, but holy ballzzzz does your swing suck!". I feel that's a fair assesment.

Well..... you and I play a similar game right now then (please lord let us improve).

I have exactly one low score in about 15 rounds with THP’ers. It’s not so much that I stink, it’s more the consistency of doing so that gets to me. I always allowed for a bad game mentally. But when physically finally caught up, it’s mostly not been good.

But I’m still alive and still love being here. Until someone tells me something opposing that I suppose y’all have to put up with me.

Sorry 😁
Number one is enjoying the game. All scoring aside. Sometimes a shot per round is enough to give us hope. It’s shows we can do it. If we can for a shot, than we can for two, three and four shots. Means every shot is possible. So we chase it. Key is to have fun. Be grateful we can still play.

My season was very good. I played a lot and I am noticeably better. A couple recent thread bumps have really shown me how I viewed my game around New Year and I solved the things I felt were holding me back then. I hit the ball too high and didn't like my proximity with wedges. I worked hard at them and those things are definitely not the case now. And my wedge game is a serious strength. I also played a course recently that I played pretty close to my best ability in January, and it was exponentially easier this time around. No denying it. I noticed it and said it during play. I'm better now.

Always things that need fixing though, and I don't try to keep 'em secret. I've made a few swing changes to compensate for physical things, and there are a couple creeping effects that are really starting to shine through in bad ways. Feels like I've been hanging on tighter and tighter to score and mechanics are just slipping through my fingers. I've lost some depth I'd like back, my path has changed, and my chipping/pitching posture has become uncomfortable and is making me kind of handsier than normal.

I've moved and met a ton of new people and courses and experiences, and played more than I ever have, so I have no complaints. Just need to get back to work on some basic things, because I surely won't get to play and stay dialed in as much next year. I really took advantage of a weird year this year to challenge myself. I took on some daunting matches and learned a lot about where things really are for me. I hope to play in the ballpark of 'as well' next year, or adjust my mindset reasonably well if I don't, and get to meet more interesting people and experiences. I'd like THP to take up a bigger chunk of those last couple, and am going to work on that to start the new year. My family is pretty spread out at this point, so travel that's for actual fun (no offense, family) will mostly have to wait until after the holidays now.

I know you didn't get out a bunch @Smiter , but your perspective/expectations and appreciation for what you did get to do seemed to really improve as the year went on. To me at least. I felt like it came through in your posts and I've been happy for you about that.

Last edited:
My daughter was born in February, then Covid, furloughed from work for 3 months. All told, I've played one round of actual golf. I do try to hit the range at least once weekly to stay somewhat in shape. I just chalked this year up as a loss due to circumstances. I'm going to put in extra work over the winter to hone my skills. Bought a planemate to primarily work on rotation. I think that's where my biggest gains can be made and it should give me a more consistent swing.

My season was very good. I played a lot and I am noticeably better. A couple recent thread bumps have really shown me how I viewed my game around New Year and I solved the things I felt were holding me back then. I hit the ball too high and didn't like my proximity with wedges. I worked hard at them and those things are definitely not the case now. And my wedge game is a serious strength. I also played a course recently that I played pretty close to my best ability in January, and it was exponentially easier this time around. No denying it. I noticed it and said it during play. I'm better now.

Always things that need fixing though, and I don't try to keep 'em secret. I've made a few swing changes to compensate for physical things, and there are a couple creeping effects that are really starting to shine through in bad ways. Feels like I've been hanging on tighter and tighter to score and mechanics are just slipping through my fingers. I've lost some depth I'd like back, my path has changed, and my chipping/pitching posture has become uncomfortable and is making me kind of handsier than normal.

I've moved and met a ton of new people and courses and experiences, and played more than I ever have, so I have no complaints. Just need to get back to work on some things, because I surely won't get to play and stay dialed in as much next year. I hope to play in the ballpark of 'as well' next year, or adjust my mindset reasonably well if I don't, and get to meet more interesting people and experiences. I'd like THP to take up a bigger chunk of those last couple, and am going to work on that to start the new year. My family is pretty spread out now, so travel that's for actual fun (no offense, family) will mostly have to wait until after the holidays now.

I know you didn't get out a bunch @Smiter , but your perspective/expectations and appreciation for what you did get to do seemed to really improve as the year went on. To me at least. I felt like it came through in your posts and I've been happy for you about that.

Getting out a bunch is no longer important. Playing quality golf with folk I like is. I haven’t met anyone on here that I wouldn’t tee it up with again.

I fully volunteer to be the “marker” if you and @Hamfist play, lol. He has a wicked foot wedge and his ‘gimme’ game is on point. Don’t be shocked with a good/good call before you have a chance to object from 80/60 feet. Haha. Not like you’re ever 60ft away on a green.... lol.

Hi, my name is Bryan and I’m a high-capper...24.

I mostly play with THPers. I’ve carded everything from 110 to 91. My game has been all over the place this year, as to be expected for a high-cap. Started out the year close to breaking 90, as that was my goal coming into the new year - along with taking more practice time and some lessons.

Along comes February, March, and April. I start hitting worm burners that cut left and stop about 125 yards from the tee. Irons and hybrids were better, but not by much. There were a few rounds where I felt like packing it in at the turn because I was playing horribly and slowing my partners down. I never did and kept grinding it out.

I started practicing more and figuring out some things I was doing wrong. I still wasn’t playing very well and still carding triple digit scores half the time. Things were getting better, anything was better really, but it’s still not saying much when you’re topping and/or duffing multiple shots in a round.

Flowing into the Summer months of May, June, and July I joined the AZ THP Golf Club and started playing courses outside my norm. While I play with most of these guys on the norm, league play is different for me. It’s competition. Albeit friendly, it’s still competition. Plus, I’m very competitive with myself. My game play was still crappy at best. I was consistently inconsistent with everything from one round to the next to one shot to the next.

Hitting the home stretch before the end of the year - August, September, and October has me taking a much different approach to the game. After the July league event I had enough. I had carded a 105 and knew I couldn’t do this on my own. I signed up for 6 lessons. I figured this would give me a good feel for the instructor and instructions. I went in with an open mind and told him candidly what my issues were: no distance, topping shots, and feeling “off” at address most times (with aim and position being the major contributor). After the first lesson I felt revived. I felt determined. I was all in! I knew I couldn’t just rely on a 1hr a week lesson. I had to put in the work. Make it a point to practice that weeks lesson. Practice with a purpose. Get mentally prepared for practice and especially for playing a round.

We’re now at the end of October and the end of the year will fall upon us in what will feel like a weeks time. I have 1 lesson left. My plan is to practice what he has taught me until my consistency is where it needs to be and continue on with lessons with him, as well as others. My scores are still high: 103, 97, 105, 97, 99, 98 since my initial lesson. I know I’ve got a long way to go, however; I’m more confident off the tee, I feel my swing and contact is getting better with all my clubs, and I’m feeling like things are starting to click more than they ever have before.

While I still have some time to break 90 this year I’m not beating myself up over it if it doesn’t happen. I’m content in the direction I’m headed with my game. I will continue to have goals and strive for them, and take away the positives for the ones that I don’t conquer. I look forward to next year, knowing that 2 steps forward 1 step back is the mantra right now. I truly love this game, and I love all the THP guys I have played with. Unbeknownst to them, they’ve pushed me to be better and set me in the direction I’m headed. I couldn’t be more thankful and optimistic of what next year will hold.

Sorry for the long winded story - I don’t post much, so I guess this makes up for it. 😉

I’m the perineal underachiever.

I’ve improved a lot this year, I now have a positive AoA on driver and am hitting the ball higher through the bag than ever before. It’s been a revelatory year in regards to learning to control my club face.

That said, I don’t practice enough to reach full potential. I’ll always be a mid to low single digit and I think I’m becoming ok with that. Reality is I lack the motivation to improve beyond that, maybe in 2021 something will provide me that motivation (y)

My golf game sucks. It's always sucked. I'm hoping it will improve to something like mediocre... but I'm not holding out hope.:confused2::ROFLMAO:

My game is down a few strokes per round this year. Not surprising. It’s always been bad even when pouring everything I had towards improvement.

This year was different. Less practice, less effort, less importance with my scores and more appreciation for the opportunity to just be out there. For the first time since I’ve been playing, I’m happy with my equipment and ok with the quality of my game. Wouldn’t mind being a little better but that is now waaaaay down on my list of priorities in my life.... as it should be.

I feel like all the tools are there, now it's just how much do i really want to go after low scores.

I need to choose a swing thought/swing plane and stick to it, should probably get lessons to clarify.
Short game needs a lot of work/practice as it is what is holding me back the most this year.

or just keep having fun playing and not worry too much about that stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Game has improved this year and managed to travel better at times. Other times it has been bad but that is golf. Happy with where it is and where its going.

This is what I posted on the board in June of 2018 when I was still a newbie to THP:

I went to a not so nearby club and hit balls today. I started off striking the ball really well. On line with a high draw and better than expected distance. I hit a few clunkers but was able to bring it back to the good. As I took a water break, i day dreamed a little about how “good” I might be able to get now. And if I would be happy with that.

There have been 2 times in my golf career that I have gotten down to a single digits for a year or so. The lowest was a 7. Then, I hit balls before a round and a few after. I putted a fair bit and chipped and putted more. I played at least 36 a weekend and at least 18 more during the week.

I don’t have the time to do that now. I wasn’t married then. I’d played golf and drank.

I’ve broken 90 the last 4 times out. My game is improving. Doing little more than playing, and putting some, I think I can reach a point this summer and fall where I can consistently shoot in the 82-86 range.

Short of a lot of practice, I think that is where my ability can take me. I’m comfortable with that level of play. I’m not willing to work harder or spend more time to see if I could be a better golfer. I’d rather spend that time traveling with my wife and our families and spending as much time as possible with my grandson and my nieces, while playing a little bit.

I've reached the point of pretty consistently shooting in the 82-86 range. I have some 88s and 89s sprinkled in but also a couple of rounds in the high 70s, and some 80s and 81s. I'm a better player than I was 2 years ago but am not a better thinker on the course. That is one area where I can pick up a few shots per round.

My THP experience and Experiences have really piqued my interest in the game and in new equipment. I've now been fitted for the first time for irons, driver and putter. They've helped considerably but they can't overcome some fundamental swing issues, a bad short game and an iffy head.

I still want to get better. I've signed up with True Motion Golf. I'm confident that Matt and Tim will get me on the right road.

Golf is going very well this season. More so since about May when I moved up a set of tees. Practicing less, playing once a week, good enough for me.

My honest opinion of my golf game is that it's slowly deteriorating due to age. That "the older I get, the better I was" cliche.

There is no viable golf instruction that addresses the continuation of one's birthdays.

My continuing (new?) outlook is to continue to slow down that deterioration as much as possible.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Back