Honest Opinion of Your Golf Game/New Outlook

My game went to hell this year and I've probably had the worst scores I've had in years.

With that said I've been battling a back and hip issue all season which had a huge impact on my game. Hopefully I can get better over winter and come out hot next spring.

I’ve been embarrassed every time I’ve teed it up with actual golfers (THP’ers). For whatever reason my mental game is retched.

Usually I know if my game is going to suck based on how I feel. There’s been a couple rounds I’ve felt ok and just totally been a steaming pile of 💩.

So at least that parts normal.
I was far too busy worrying about my awful game with 2 first time THPers to notice how bad you were golfing:alien:

I've yo-yo'ed that last year or so. Coming into last year I had spent a ton of time in the sim over winter and had a pretty decent swing dialed in. I was hitting a nice tight draw on most shots, decent distance, and had hit my PB. Mid year I lost my swing, trying to swing harder but ended up coming across the ball and hitting high cuts. Took me until the middle of this year and a couple of lessons to get on the road to recovery.

Now I'm almost back to where I was shooting low to mid 90's on good rounds and having more fun doing it. This winter I'm going to hit the sim, workout a bit more and hopefully lose a few lbs. The idea is that I can come into next year with my swing ready to continue improvement.

Could be rough though, the weather has been crap here this week so I started working out and I could already use a full tube of Bengay, a deep tissue massage, and a hot tub.

@Smiter I would love to have your clubhead speed.

Current index is 3.6. Low for the year 2.7 which was before I joined a new difficult course. High for the season 4.9.

How I feel about my game. Basically I lack speed. My current driver SS is 93. My handicap is largely comprised of rounds at my home course which is par 71 at 6950 yards so length is important. This year for the most part I drove the ball very well although not that very far. My average drive is probably 240 yards max including roll. I tend to hit a lot of fairways. I wasn't that happy with my iron swing for much of the year. My irons swing (although interestingly enough not my driver swing) has gotten too inside out leading to a bunch of shots missed left. At times I was missing with greens left from inside of 150 yards.

I am optimistic however. The season is winding down here in New England (there is 3 inches of snow outside my window) but my club is near the ocean so I am still playing Saturday and Sunday. I am going to hit the gym again this winter and continue to build strength and flexibility.

I have 56 rounds in this year and will get over 60. I joined a club mid year and have a place to practice for the first time in 10 years. I played my first three real competitive rounds in over 10 years as well and had a lot of fun. I turn 55 next year and am going to play some local senior am events. The US Senior Am is coming to my club in 2022 so I would like to make a run at that. It would be a longshot but if I catch lightning in a bottle I could qualify.

I am not as good as I once was but I hope to be as good once as I ever was. My career PB is likely behind me but that said I am seeing improvement after 10 years of not playing a ton and would like to see where I can bring my game.

I pretty much suck with all clubs that aren't wedges or a putter. My main issue is inconsistency. I can play a front 9 and shoot in the low 40s, then shoot 60 on the back 9. Most of my issues stem from having too many swing thoughts and philosophies in my head. Plus, I'm always tinkering. I have a problem matching whatever backswing I have that day to whatever downswing I have that day. When they sync up, I can go low. I need to settle on a swing philosophy and stop watching Youtube videos, and I think I have. I'll find out tomorrow.

All in all a pretty good year for me. It didn't start off well, I was still struggling mightily with my irons, but sometime around June a light bulb went off and I started hitting them much better. Which meant I started scoring slightly better. My handicap was at it's highest on June 6 at 29.6. I'm currently sitting at 26.1. I expect that to get lower next year. I shot my personal best round this year as well.

And then I got fit for new clubs this year. New Irons, 3W and wedges and a new shaft in the driver. I'm pretty excited about that. I've only had 3 rounds with them and looking forward to getting comfortable with them.

I'm really looking forward to next year. My goals are to break 90 and lower my cap into the low 20's.

My handicap says that my game is the best it's ever been. I got down to a low of +1.2 this year. But I feel like that was artificially low due to two really good rounds. I'm not at all sure my game was any better than it has been the past few years, and maybe even a little more inconsistent. Probably a touch more potential to go low than in the past, but I felt like I struggled to control the club face with the driver for a good portion of the year. And by the time I got it figured out, my good putting from earlier in the year seemed to have been gone. Not bad putting, but just not really making anything. All in all, I'd say it was a good year, but not as good as it could have been.

At 66 years old and only really starting to play golf about 2 years ago, I had a great year. I worked very hard at the whole game, course strategy, putting, chipping, pitching, you name it. I was out there by myself when a lot of guys had gone home. I have dropped my handicap way down from what it was at the beginning of the year.

I went from scoring in the 100s to now anywhere from low 80s to high 90s with only two games at 100. I almost broke 80 (had an 82) on my local course which can be very challenging with a 138 slope. I plan to break 80 either this year or the next.

I joined my local club, and joined a local league and held my own in the league throughout the season and most of those guys are retired and play all the time. I am mostly a weekend warrior, but I stuck it out. The stats show I ranked around 12th out of 25 and got money at the club banquet. I feel that was a great accomplishment for me who knew nothing much about golf at all.

Yes, I had some rough rounds (pun intended) and some really bad days, yet I look at the positive side of this - being able to get out there and play and challenge myself as well as meet some new people. I also made some great shots over the year that kept me coming back.

When I started to get more GIRs and get a birdie here and there that really added some spice and excitement to the game!

:golf2:

I just sucked this year. When I think about it, I have sucked for several years. I used to be a consistent and good iron player and now I simply can't make good contact. I don't even know what I am doing wrong. I've gotten a wee bit older but its not showing up in my driver distance. Its like my hand eye coordination has gone to hell.

Its really taken the fun out of the game. Hopefully a winter off will get my head straight but towards the end of this year I didn't even look forward to golfing, which has never happened before.

Season is far from over down here, but this has been probably my busiest golf season since I stopped playing competitively in 2007. I have completed 49 rounds in 2020 as of this posting and since I have began better tracking stats a few things jumped out.

My handicap began at 8.3 this year and is currently at 5.8. My low point this season is 3.9 which is the lowest I have ever been, though I have not always tracked my handicap when playing competitively.

Driving accuracy is still the weakest part of my game (46%) as has been the trend for several years now. I am hesitant to take lessons as I am not sure I want to devote the time to being a range rat again and I just really don't enjoy hitting the range too much anymore. I would much rather work on my short game than pound range balls.

I shot my lowest 9 holes of my life this year (-3) and broke par on 9 holes 3 times this year, which is something that I have only done twice before. Still searching for that elusive under par round, though.

My putting is also another area where I feel like I can improve. I don't three-putt much at all (less than once per round), but I also do not hole too many putts over 10 feet.

My goals for 2021 are to hit 50% of my fairways, 50% of my greens, break par one time, and get my handicap below 3 at least once throughout the year. I would also like to get fit for a new set of irons, but that one has been on the back burner for some time now.

Well my season is over except for the Ben Hogan/UST Mamiya experience 😬. That being said, this year was about what I would expect given that I got to play a bit more golf than I normally do. I haven't tracked my handicap legitimately since I was 18 years old, but I'd say my game has been roughly that of a 18-20 handicap for the last 15 years. This year I think I knocked a couple off that to play in the 16-18 range, mostly because I played enough to have better feel with my short game.

I've basically accepted that my game is what it is. I wish I was one of those fortunate enough to be naturally good, but I'm naturally good enough. At my cap, I can run-off a -1 stretch over 4 or 5 holes, but inevitably there's a blow up to bring me back to earth. I'd love to say I'm going to greatly improve, and maybe playing clubs that are truly fitted to me will knock a couple strokes off, but life currently has me in a holding pattern as far as golf. On the bright side, as I mentioned before, it's good enough that I still want to get out there on the course as much as possible.

I was far too busy worrying about my awful game with 2 first time THPers to notice how bad you were golfing:alien:

You taught me an entirely new curse phrase, one that shaved a couple strokes off my kids score in competition. He was having a rough round so I wrote “whale ‘blank’!” on his scorecard. Got him to smile and he made a birdie. Had another couple rough holes so I then added “Giant” in front of it. Made an up and down par from a tough spot.

the game has improved...but it's improving like taking a nap vs going to sleep for the night.

My game is as consistent as it ever has been, I'm scoring lower than I ever have done and my handicap is lower than it ever has been

Now with that out of the way, I have so much to improve and work on

My aim over the winter is to work on my short game and my driver as these will really help me to get even better scores and reduce my handicap further

Well my season is over except for the Ben Hogan/UST Mamiya experience 😬. That being said, this year was about what I would expect given that I got to play a bit more golf than I normally do. I haven't tracked my handicap legitimately since I was 18 years old, but I'd say my game has been roughly that of a 18-20 handicap for the last 15 years. This year I think I knocked a couple off that to play in the 16-18 range, mostly because I played enough to have better feel with my short game.

I've basically accepted that my game is what it is. I wish I was one of those fortunate enough to be naturally good, but I'm naturally good enough. At my cap, I can run-off a -1 stretch over 4 or 5 holes, but inevitably there's a blow up to bring me back to earth. I'd love to say I'm going to greatly improve, and maybe playing clubs that are truly fitted to me will knock a couple strokes off, but life currently has me in a holding pattern as far as golf. On the bright side, as I mentioned before, it's good enough that I still want to get out there on the course as much as possible.

If it’s your first experience be prepared for awesome that you’ve never encountered. Your golf season is NOWHERE near over :)

I wouldn't say that my game really improved this season as the HC stayed around the same. I definitely did have some better rounds than last season and my chipping and putting both improved however driver and irons were about the same. Will hopefully be working more on the swing this winter. And while I want to keep improving I am fine if i don't as i just enjoy getting out golfing whenever i can.

Ive gota a say even the i hated the covid shut down i came out better then ive ever been. I bought a net and launch monitor that really helped the full swings and I chipped thousands of balls in the back yard. It all came together when my son came into town and I shot a 77. Before this my low was 81, 18 was the longest hole ive ever played. Lol

I wouldn't say that my game really improved this season as the HC stayed around the same. I definitely did have some better rounds than last season and my chipping and putting both improved however driver and irons were about the same. Will hopefully be working more on the swing this winter. And while I want to keep improving I am fine if i don't as i just enjoy getting out golfing whenever i can.

I enjoyed playing with you last summer! Sorry I had such a craptastic game. It’s been a rough couple years, some of it I brought on by being a bonehead and some of it beyond my control.

You make it back out this way, a round at Shale Creek or similar is on me!

I enjoyed playing with you last summer! Sorry I had such a craptastic game. It’s been a rough couple years, some of it I brought on by being a bonehead and some of it beyond my control.

You make it back out this way, a round at Shale Creek or similar is on me!

It was good playing with you to I enjoyed all our rounds together so quit apologizing :). I will definitely let you know if I make it down that way.

My golf game is easy to describe. It between mediocre and it sucks! :laughing:

My golf game is easy to describe. It between mediocre and it sucks! :laughing:

Your putter collection is on point though! Trust me I’ve noticed but I’d be down to selling a kidney to finance one.

I’ll wait for greener days before a hard ponder becomes a PM, lol.

Back