Elmave

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ive read here and heard people say when they get new clubs be it irons , driver whatever there is sometimes a Honeymoon Period they hit them great and seemingly better than ever. If that's the case why does it ever end if it does. Just like on the tee you try someones driver and or they try yours and many times a great drive results. A guy crushed my Epic Max LS off the tee the other day and I said well that's a Five-Hundred Dollar swing lol.Thinking about it after the last time I saw it said here I thought why is that. Im guessing at least in my case I focus more really concentrate on striking the center of the face and it results in a better swing. I play the majority of my golf at the club I belong to but notice when I play a different course I generally have a good day driving the ball. I am going to really think about this and focus on using the new club / different course approach for my next round. Im sure what im thinking about is actually what the scratch/low handicap golfers do as a matter of course even on the driving range. In any event I will try this as a swing thought on the tee.

I had a friend say recently that the reason he hits things well at first (honeymoon) is because he's just trying to hit it solid. "I just want to feel a new club pured. Know what it's like. I'm not trying to do anything with it. Just square it up." And good results tend to follow.

I think that goes to exactly what you're saying. And I think the biggest thing behind most big mishits from amateur to pro is trying to do too much. So it all makes sense to me. I like your thinking here. Alignment, center of the face. Boom. (y)

Excitement over new clubs has an effect for me too. I'm just pumped about hitting them and I tend to focus better, and swing a little harder, as a result.

Personally I think it's because it's an unknown club. You haven't developed any 'miss' or ever hit a bad shot with it.
Sometimes, in my case anyway, you develop these little gremlins in your head that create doubt and cause you to actually enforce the known problem.
The mind is golf's biggest enemy.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I think part of it is just the "new club lust" thing, and part of it is that most of us will always tend to run hot and cold with any club, no matter what it is. It's why I seldom put clubs on "time out" - I know I can hit them well, I've done it plenty of times, and nothing about the club has changed - it's all in my swing that day.

I agree with everything said in this thread, especially the "more focused, hit a solid shot" idea.

I was struggling with my driver one round. My friend let me try his new driver. I hit it right down the fairway. Then he asked me what I did differently. I said "nothing but your driver is better than mine." He replied "your swing looked completely different that time and I doubt that was all because of my driver." Made me think what changed and all I could come up with is I was really focused on making solid contact with it rather than crushing it.

Ive read here and heard people say when they get new clubs be it irons , driver whatever there is sometimes a Honeymoon Period they hit them great and seemingly better than ever. If that's the case why does it ever end if it does. Just like on the tee you try someones driver and or they try yours and many times a great drive results. A guy crushed my Epic Max LS off the tee the other day and I said well that's a Five-Hundred Dollar swing lol.Thinking about it after the last time I saw it said here I thought why is that. Im guessing at least in my case I focus more really concentrate on striking the center of the face and it results in a better swing. I play the majority of my golf at the club I belong to but notice when I play a different course I generally have a good day driving the ball. I am going to really think about this and focus on using the new club / different course approach for my next round. Im sure what im thinking about is actually what the scratch/low handicap golfers do as a matter of course even on the driving range. In any event I will try this as a swing thought on the tee.
I think that for a lot of people, getting new clubs are a band-aid to other problems in their game but new clubs arent never going to fix your game. So, now matte how well they are playing, eventually they are going to have a day where they are off their game and the automatic thought process is, "ugh...these clubs are trash" and off they go to the golf shop to buy yet another new club.
Most dont want to accept the harsh reality that the secret really is in the dirt and that if you want to improve, you need to put in the work and spend the time working on your game. Most just want to go out and buy a new club, in the hopes that its going to fix the flaws in their game.

I think part of it is you want/try to do well with a new club to make sure you are happy with it.

Back