ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2021 Club Albatross 2022 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
  • Staff
Over the last handful of years, Honma has worked to break through into the Northern American golf market. In early 2019, it looked like they hit a home run when then World Number One golfer Justin Rose joined their staff and won his very first tournament. While Rose might not be the huge name that sells a lot of equipment, his change and instant win had more and more golfers talking about the brand. Now we are in a funny position where Honma and Rose have split up and to some that might give a bit of a black eye to the brand. Casting all that aside, Honma has brought out some seriously exciting products this year, including the TR20 driver lineup which comes in both a 460 and 440 size. Let’s take a dive into the TR20 440 driver and see if this offering can cause a bit of a spark to get people back to thinking about Honma.

Continue reading...

Tee/Ski

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Nice write-up. I really need to check this one out.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Staff member
Reaction score
Loved the sound video you put up in the forum and combined with the shape this driver is really addicting for lack of a better word.

badolds

Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
That is a nice looking club. I would like to hear more about the 460 cc model.

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Reaction score
Handicap
That club looks very nice

ddec

Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
  • Staff
Loved the sound video you put up in the forum and combined with the shape this driver is really addicting for lack of a better word.
Esp if you are hitting it well. It's like you just cant wait to hear it once you walk from the green to the tee.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Staff member
Reaction score
Esp if you are hitting it well. It's like you just cant wait to hear it once you walk from the green to the tee.
Ill be super curious how it continues for you, as it is hard to quantify the data as you said.

ddec

Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
  • Staff
Ill be super curious how it continues for you, as it is hard to quantify the data as you said.

And that was disappointing. I mean I can sift through and it make it plausible, but man it was so all over the place esp in terms of spin. The very first time I brought the monitor to the range I was hoping it was just because of range balls. Proved to not be the case. On the course though, I feel pretty comfortable with it and enjoy what I am seeing.

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Reaction score
The crown just seems a bit too shiny for me, but I love the idea of those 3 weights really getting it dialed in

obedt

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
That was really well-written Dean. Enjoyed the article. That’s a good looking driver. My eyes were opened to Honma during last year’s TT event. Seems like an overlooked brand producing quality equipment.

jim54

must be the shafts
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Great write up @ddec

As a early buyer of this Driver, I am happy to see you are enjoying it. I found the stock 70S to be a bit loose for my taste, not my SS persay but just the feel to me, so I upgraded to the FP7X @ 45.5" and this Driver does everything I could want.

I agree if you put a bad swing on it it will hook or slice, but with my short backswing and low SS it has performed very well and I would dare say quite a bit better than the Mavrik SZ for me. It will be great to see the TR20 Fairway / Hybrid line in the fall.

ddec

Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
The crown just seems a bit too shiny for me, but I love the idea of those 3 weights really getting it dialed in
Great write up @ddec

As a early buyer of this Driver, I am happy to see you are enjoying it. I found the stock 70S to be a bit loose for my taste, not my SS persay but just the feel to me, so I upgraded to the FP7X @ 45.5" and this Driver does everything I could want.

I agree if you put a bad swing on it it will hook or slice, but with my short backswing and low SS it has performed very well and I would dare say quite a bit better than the Mavrik SZ for me. It will be great to see the TR20 Fairway / Hybrid line in the fall.
and I loved your feedback within both your thread and the review thread. It was good stuff and sounds pretty similar to my own experience. It's staying in the bag for now, I have just got along with it better than I have my EF that had been in there prior. @Jman knows my search for a driver this year has been interesting, so I'm happy to see this one is staying put at least for the time being.

jim54

must be the shafts
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I would be lying if I said I was not curious about the 460 after playing the 440, just for comparision purposes of course....., if one popped up on the bay for a reasonable sum it might find a new home.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Reaction score
Handicap
Good, well-written review, Dean! This one still intrigues me. Not sure it will happen but would love to try it sometime this year.

ddec

Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Good, well-written review, Dean! This one still intrigues me. Not sure it will happen but would love to try it sometime this year.
Appreciate the read my man.

ddec

Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
I would be lying if I said I was not curious about the 460 after playing the 440, just for comparision purposes of course....., if one popped up on the bay for a reasonable sum it might find a new home.
I'm kind of curious on the 460 myself.

jim54

must be the shafts
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Thought I would bump this back up, even with my 65% swing due to injuries the 440 continues to be a fariway machine. Better to be short in the fairway then short in the tall rough.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Reaction score
Handicap
this one just popped up on my radar. i’m loving my gamer, but a little curious about this one too. anyone gaming this?

Desmond

Play Golf, Laugh, Smile, Enjoy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
<10
Excellent write up, Dean.

Interested in the 460 ... and how is that Vizard Shaft - I understand they spine flo them all - woods and irons.

I was pondering the TR21X irons, then a trip to Myrtle Beach in late July stopped the ponder ...;) ... MP-22.

ddec

Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
this one just popped up on my radar. i’m loving my gamer, but a little curious about this one too. anyone gaming this?
I haven't hit it yet this year, but it's still around. Such a good-looking head at address for me, but for the early season I want something a bit more forgiving. I feel like if I had the 460 head in hand I probably would have given it a shot.

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Reaction score
Handicap
I haven't hit it yet this year, but it's still around. Such a good-looking head at address for me, but for the early season I want something a bit more forgiving. I feel like if I had the 460 head in hand I probably would have given it a shot.
interesting. i think the spin profile was something that was appealing to me. not that the epic max is low spin, i think it's just the right amount of spin for me. but as much fun as i'm having with the tr20 irons, the driver grabbed my attention too.

Desmond

Play Golf, Laugh, Smile, Enjoy
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
<10
interesting. i think the spin profile was something that was appealing to me. not that the epic max is low spin, i think it's just the right amount of spin for me. but as much fun as i'm having with the tr20 irons, the driver grabbed my attention too.
Wait.o_O You have T20 Irons - 20P? or the V?

McLovin

feelz good 2 b a Gsta
Reaction score
Handicap
Wait.o_O You have T20 Irons - 20P? or the V?
yep. tr20p in 5-6, v in 7-10. with modus 115 limited edition black. bought the shafts and needed heads lol. those won out over jpx 921 tour and miura tc201 (tbf the tc201 were my winner on look and feel, but performance was identical with honma and half the cost).

i've had several rounds with the apex pro 21 and tr20. the numbers don't lie: tr20 fit me far better so i'm running with those.

shanewu

@shaneb0t
Reaction score
Handicap
you can get tr20 driver heads, at least the 440, for a pretty good price on ebay. since i can't go a day without pondering, they have crossed my mind a few times over the last few weeks.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in