Honma TW XP-1 Driver - THP Review Thread

I'm pretty curious about the adjustability on this one. Since it's not using a cog system, I'm pretty intrigued how that works.

Yeah it's interesting. I need to confer with someone in the know to make sure I'm doing it right

Dean, have you had any chances to hit this yet before on course? I’m interested in what the sound is like - more tingy like the Beres or more solid sounding like the TW line?

More solid due to the carbon crown

Great pictures. Looking forward to your thoughts on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
agree
o.png

More solid due to the carbon crown

That I like to hear. The Beres is old-school PING level loud. Draws some attention at the range for sure.

That I like to hear. The Beres is old-school PING level loud. Draws some attention at the range for sure.

Yeah nothing like that at all. I actually think the sound is pretty decent. Now going with a 43 gram reg flex shaft that flexes more than my fathers A flex, yeah that was an issue.

Wanted to add some outdoor photos from my round. I took some sound clips too that I can add later.

0fa14b0b1c9c400dcd9f834b2555e375.mov

3dff36994173dea8a39c76d7db7617cd.jpg

47cd4cce9733a7ed15be05204ac8052e.jpg

Adjustability ring is on the bottom. Interesting and strange all in one. Still not sure how I feel about it.

aac0e174f188c4f21a7b01791ec97f0f.jpg

Next to Epic Flash

44394954-AEC4-4962-A67F-85EAC905678D.jpeg

Last edited:
The first pics I saw of this driver I really liked, but not digging the in-hand pics quite as much.

That said - if the performance is there I'd like to try this. Never had a chance to even swing a Honma.

The first pics I saw of this driver I really liked, but not digging the in-hand pics quite as much.

That said - if the performance is there I'd like to try this. Never had a chance to even swing a Honma.

Is it the chrome sole? The double slot? What do you think it is that changed your mind?

Definitely an interesting sound. Not a lot of metal ting. Weird, but the sound kind of reminds me of my old persimmon wood driver. Been many many years since I've hit it, so maybe I'm way off. Just didnt have the metal ping I've grown accustomed to.

HAHAHAHA!

Well, it looked good initially at least.

The sound isn't as bad as I expected to be honest, for whatever reason I was bracing for a toaster like reverb.

HAHAHAHA!

Well, it looked good initially at least.

The sound isn't as bad as I expected to be honest, for whatever reason I was bracing for a toaster like reverb.

Yeah sound is fine. My issue with it is weight. Need to get it on a scale.

I could certainly deal with that sound. Thanks for the pics and video clips.

Is it the chrome sole? The double slot? What do you think it is that changed your mind?

I think it's the chrome. Something about it just doesn't look as cool as I thought the original pictures looked.

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived from the 3 week old keeping me up at nights.

I think it's the chrome. Something about it just doesn't look as cool as I thought the original pictures looked.

Maybe I'm just sleep deprived from the 3 week old keeping me up at nights.

Nah thats good. I was just curious.

Nah thats good. I was just curious.

I think if you look at their website it doesn't really show off the chrome in the main photo. I guess I assumed it was more of a matte grey and i liked that.

Either way - great job on the review. I'll still check this out if I ever get the chance.

I have a question for those following this thread and driver. Is $599 in a little bit of no man's land? Meaning less than the super premium drivers, but not much more than the market share leaders. Does it get passed over because of it?

I have a question for those following this thread and driver. Is $599 in a little bit of no man's land? Meaning less than the super premium drivers, but not much more than the market share leaders. Does it get passed over because of it?

I think it's tough - it's enough above the major players where it really needs to outperform them to get in the bag, I think. $70 amounts to close to 15% more than the drivers coming in at that $529 price point.

If it was the same cost, I think there's a segment of the market who would jump at something other than the "same old, same old" of the big brands if the performance was the same.

Back