Honma TW757 Hybrids

I haven't played in almost 3 weeks :eek: sorry for the lack of updates :banghead:

I will continue to share as I believe this club has earned it's way into my bag (I bought it a headcover this week, that's like becoming Facebook official), but I did want to summarize my thoughts thus far.

Looks

This is a great looking club. From the bottom which is very clean to the Vizard shaft I ordered in mine with the really good looking black gloss finish. Everything here says it's a well made club. It presents to the ball really well and lays on the ground perfectly to get a good neutral grip before swinging.

Feel/Sound

I would describe the feel and sound of this club to be crisp and snappy. It's a little different than other hybrids I have and have had that feel more dense. This one has a really nice impact sound and when it's really been struck well the club feels like it slices right through the ball effortlessly. I found low strikes to get a little denser and higher on the face strikes to push back a bit especially as they got near the toe so there is plenty of feedback on strike location. The sound here will please even the most discriminating of golfers and there is plenty of feedback for anyone to figure out what went wrong in their swing on the off center strikes.

Performance

This has been a really good club for me in my first month playing it. I put it up against my 7 wood to see if it could nab a spot in my bag. After several head to head shots I have found the hybrid to just be more forgiving. I am consistently closer to my target than I get with the 7 wood. That's to be expected since this club is 2" shorter than the 7 wood. I have pretty consistently found that if I take an inch off a club it makes it easier for me to square the ball up. What I have been surprised by is the launch I am getting from this given it is 3* lower lofted. In head to heads I am not really seeing much difference in peak height from my eyes. I know the spin is lower with this club as I am getting more rollout but for a lower spinning lower lofted club the peak height (again visually not measured) is really similar. This is not a low runner launching hybrid.

Summary

I was excited to get to test Honma as the only place I have ever seen their clubs at retail is a PGA Tour Superstore and the nearest one to me is over 100 miles away. This club has not disappointed. I expected a well made club. I think I also probably expected something more good player oriented. The club is definitely well made, but it is also performs really well. It's got plenty of pop and I would say it is on the upper end of launch for hybrids of this size based on my experiences. It is also quite forgiving as it has improved my dispersion from that 190-200 range where I am using it. I am going to run with this for the rest of the year and into 2023 as this club has moved from testing to playing.

Last edited:

Using the same format Data provided.

Looks

Looks like your typical high end club. Looks more Titleist than Callaway or Taylormade. On bright sunny days the sheen of the clear coat over the head is muted so no issue with glare. The head cover is fantastic although over time the white will become dingy. Club at address looks very nice, it's not paper thin so you get confidence but most certainly not bulky. I love it. It's 58 degree lie, so if you struggle with hybrids being to upright this might be one to look at. I can't stand hybrids that are too upright I hook them all, this one doesn't do that. It's similar to the Callaway hybrids they are flatter as well.

Feel/Sound

Swinging the club (21 degree regular flex) felt really nice, good balance and shaft stability with proper head weight (for at least my swing). I think it's D2. If D3 is too heavy for you I think this is a nice option. Center strikes didn't wow me all that much, you can tell you hit it square due to the head action through the shot but the feel of the face was just average. Like I mentioned in several other post, the dang thing is like on guard rails on toe strikes. I use this club in my set now between my 5 wood and 11 wood and still haven't lost a ball with it. It's my biggest complement for this club is that it seems to be engineered to handle toe strikes well. When I come in from the inside and miss my mark and toe strike you get immediate feed back, you get that crazy gear effect feel but the ball generally starts off a little right of target and draws back in almost self correcting the flight. IMO it's an extremely forgiving club. That same shot with my 5 wood is heading OB.

Sounds is great, I'm so used to using game improvement clubs or woods that the deaden sound is a little eerie, lol. But sure enough the ball is launching into the sky. EG my Epic 11 wood (CHINK). when you flush it.....

Performance

My driver swing speed is ~93 MPH and my carry is about 225. This club off the tee (21 degree) is ~185 to 190. For my swing it has a penetrating ball flight lands soft. I primarily use this club in 3 situations. Off the tee for really short par 4's (300 or sub), long par 3's (180+) and second shot par 5 (This is like almost 100% of the time). Off the tee the club is fantastic it doesn't get the apex like my 11 wood, but it's MUCH higher than my 5 wood (18 degree) and lands with some spin. par 3's that require at least 180 carry this club is a nice one to have. Even with the lower ball flight the ball holds greens from these shots (its crazy you be thinking this ball is off the green and sure enough it's on the dance floor). And on the par 5 rough or fairway you get a nice 200 yard total shot (with roll out) usually and leaves me 120 in or thereabouts. If you try to overswing it, it goes to hell (probably capability of me and the shaft) But if you swing it like your 8 iron it'll jump. In fact out of the rough it's actually little better for distance (at least out of the shorter cut bermuda I play out of) it takes some of the spin out of the ball and generally gives you an additional 5 yards or more of roll out. In other words as long as you aren't playing insane rough you might actually get a better result from the club.

In my set I find myself hitting it more than my 5 wood. The 18 degree stealth is a really wild club, if you mishit it just a little it can put you in bad spots whereas the Honma you live to see another day. I still play my 11 wood because it's more of a 175 club and has it's own distance/range. The I pick up with my 7 iron which is ~160 carry or so.

Sorry one other note. Thin fairway shots (with in reason) don't hurt you at all. Unless you have trouble. But if you have fairway to play with it goes about as far as a regular shot, the low weight on the head I think helps keep ball speed up, but I am just guessing. The results are there though.

Summary

I love having a different brand unique high end club in the bag, it gives me talking points with other golfers, it's pretty cool from that aspect. par 5's I don't have to hit the 11 wood or 7 iron any more, it gives me another option with confidence that can yield me another 10 - 15 yards which has tremendously helped my par 5 scoring. I'm par'ing par 5's more often than not when I play now and a big contributing factor is this club. Driver, Honma (PW) something like that and then get up and down or 2 putt. It's a big time enabler in my par 5 game. I was having to hit the 11 wood prior and I was only getting about 175 total. Do the math 175 now I can hit controlled shots 185 - 190. And as mentioned before the 18 degree for a guy like me is just too wonky, unless it's a tee shot or some massive fairway with a perfect lie.

Doesn;t solve world hunger, no. Does it have faults, yes from my POV. But for a 17.7 HDCP player it has given me life in my par 5 game getting me just close enough to hit scoring clubs more often. And on par 3's outside of 180 I actually have a club I can go up to the tee with confidence and stick a shot.

I can't thank you all enough for the opportunity to demo and keep playing this club. I have to admit I did do one thing with the club. I regripped it with a standard MCC+ and I love it. The grip that came with it was okay, but not even close IMO to the MCC+ standard.

Last edited:
So I’ve been cheating golf a little bit over the past week or so. I’m carrying 15 clubs. I’m doing this because there is an epic battle going on between 3 Fli-Hi and Honma 757 18°.

Whenever I come to a shot where it makes sense to use a 3 hybrid a second ball gets dropped and I hit each of the clubs. They are definitely different and each have their strengths.

The Fli-Hi is a low penetrating runner that does a great job of cutting through/under the wind and running out forever. The Honma gets up in the air with its higher launch window and lands softer on a green than any 18° club I’ve ever encountered. How good the Honma holds greens is a bit mind blowing.

I still don’t know who is going to end up winning this bag battle and because I play by myself I have no problem ‘cheating golf’ and using both for a while longer to find out.

Reactions: JB
Here we go.

Me. I’m nearly 60. I’m a slower swinger and a self-diagnosed poor mid and long iron player. A perfect hybrid candidate.

Club - I have the 27 degree. Iron play is my weakness and I already have a 21 and 24 degree hybrid in my bag at times. Iron play is a weakness so I wanted to see how a higher lofted hybrid would play for me. As a slower swinger, I went with a regular shaft. I chose the 27 degree knowing that I would likely be the only one to go the highest lofted route. I was interested in an iron replacement club as I’m am not confident with my current 6 iron. I have difficulty hitting that iron. I’m ok with a 7 iron but struggle with lower lofted irons. I was very happy to be able to choose a 6 Hybrid.

Looks. The Honma is a nice looking hybrid. To me, the head is compact looking enough and is not a distraction. That’s subjectively important because I’m utilizing it as an iron replacement.

Performance. I have been very happy with the performance. The Honma launches the ball high and straight. I tend to miss short and right with irons but not so much with this hybrid. I really don’t seem to lose the ball as far right with this hybrid. The only drawback is the high launch. If needed, I have some difficulty in hitting the ball low. And I don’t think this is the best club for me into the wind. As far as distance, I think that this is fairly good. I’d rather hit this 6h Honma than my 6 iron.

Summary. It’s a good looking hybrid that performs. For me, it’s an acceptable specific iron replacement club. High and straight are not necessarily bad things, especially for someone who struggles with irons.

Outlook. I’ll continue playing with it this season and I’ll likely regrip it before next season. I’m guessing that this club will be in the bag next season too. The grip the hybrid came with was ok , but I’m a midsize fan.

Sorry, been out of commission for a few weeks. This is going on week #4 that I haven't played :(

Looks

I love the way this sets up to the club. The shaft (Vizard) has nice graphics, kind of reminds me of some other OEM's shafts at the top. The sole has a nice aerodynamic design that just seems to glide thru the turf, no matter the lie. This is a great looking club with black gloss finish. Everything here says it's a well made club, with the exception of the grip. I wasn't too found of it after a few rounds. So I'll definitely be switching that out at some point. Quality leather headcover as well, slides on & off with ease.

Feel/Sound

I would describe the feel and sound of this club to be, well, not too clicky & not too soft. Having never gamed a hybrid before leaves me little to compare it to. You can definitely feel the difference though on strike location. I can immediately tell if it's struck on the toe or heel. Great feedback in the face for sure. As previously mentioned, the sole seems to glide thru the turf, no matter the lie. No matter where impact is, whether the toe or heel, the strikes give great feedback on strike location. The sound itself is very pleasing to the ear.

Performance

The biggest thing for me was the ease of hitting it out of the rough. Which is what I really liked the most. It is a very forgiving hybrid. I found it very easy to hit a draw with it. I'm attributing that to the shaft & possibly the slight offset design. The launch was great, got up in the air fairly quickly for an 18*. Nice boring trajectory, didn't seem to balloon at all. Very easy to square up to the ball .. hard to leave the face open for me. Which is a good thing, since my miss is to the right. I haven't played many courses that haven't been drenched & really soft lately, so I can't tell about the rollout. But if I were to guess, I would think I would get some roll out with the low spin off the face. I find it one of the more forgiving clubs in my bag. I also found it a very versatile club. I could use it for long chips around the green from the fringe mostly. It saved par for me on a number of occasions. Just set up like a putt, choke down (or Up if you are of that mind set ;)), stand a bit closer to the ball, & stroke it just like a putt. I hit one a bit too hard once & was tracking to the hole ... rattled the pin. I was quite pleased with how easy it was too perform those shots. If I can get more practice hitting those shots, it will be another shot in my arsenal of tricks. My only issue I had with it was trying to hit punches out of trees vs the 2-iron. (Since I've been in a quite a few as of late.) It's probably me & my setup to it, but I seem to get extreme early launch with it compared to my 2-iron. I would have the tendency to hit more limbs while trying to punch out.

Summary

This club has been a real pleasure to play. I would never have gone to Honma for clubs, especially a hybrid. But this club has not disappointed. Not having to think about the "adjustability" of the shaft & head, since it's a fixed club kind of takes the guessing out of my mind for one. I just pull it without thinking "Is this set up right?" or "Is it for a draw or fade." I can go back to the way I used to play. Just grab the club, get the yardage, & swing! No extra thoughts in my head. I need to incorporate those thoughts into my other clubs (y) I will definitely be gaming this for quite a while, if not forever. Just because it's so easy to hit & so damn forgiving. Well done Honma! Thanks to THP for allowing me to test this one out. I'm a hybrid gamer now! ;)

Got out for a few last night. Hit this club 3 times. I was launching low last night with all my clubs and hooking my driver. That’s a ripe swing for the hybrid hook that so many fear, but I did not see that at all. In fact all three shots were on target and got expected distance. I agree with @Paddy1Putt its on rails out on the toe. Really good club from that part of the face.

Brought the 18° Honma 757 back out for the 36 I played today. I was hitting it very well. I remembered to keep it in the middle of my stance so no weird worm burners from topping the ball. Ball flight was nice but a bit lower than last time I gamed it. I’m sure it’s because I’m working on a few things in transition.

It’s hard to know exact numbers but I’m hitting it around 215-220 now instead of the 205-210 I was a few weeks ago.

It’s a solid club I like it a lot. I just don’t know if it can beat out the Fli-hi.

Went out for a bit last night with just this club. Found a nice little groove with it and was pinging 200 yard high draws right at my target. It’s dry as bone here in Louisville so the ground is hard as a rock so being able to make a couple small adjustments and get a really nice high ball flight out of this is nice. How’s everyone else enjoying theirs so far? Anyone else decide to keep it in the bag?

I hit a near perfect 215y approach with the Honma on a par 5 yesterday. It ended up pin high about 15 foot right of the pin just off the fringe. Chipped it in with my 54° for first ever eagle on the hole.

I hit a near perfect 215y approach with the Honma on a par 5 yesterday. It ended up pin high about 15 foot right of the pin just off the fringe. Chipped it in with my 54° for first ever eagle on the hole.
Heck yeah!!!

Is there a better looking hybrid?

I'll wait .....

16663782479208720125020120508511.jpg

Got out for 6 last night. Hit this once on my home hole (190 yard par 3 requiring a draw). This is the first club I have consistently been in really good shape on this hole with. It’s making me happy.

Was only able to hit this twice last round. Once off the tee ... one of those holes that has a "target" flag that you're supposed to hit to & then to the green. Well where the target flag sits is atop a hill& it's only about 200 yards, then it goes straight downhill to the left at the green. you know, one of those "stupid" holes that they put in at last minute because they ran out of land or screwed up the design somehow. If you know how to hit a draw, it's a bonus ... it will roll down the hill & turns your shot into a wedge vs a 5-iron from the top of the hill. So .... I hit an intentional draw, which ended up a bit snappy & drew a tad bit more than intended. But the point was, it drew on command. Which is what I wanted. Now just have to learn to control it.
The 2nd shot was the complete opposite. 2nd shot on a par 5, I was blocked out by trees for a straight shot, so it required a huge fade out of the rough. Now if I hit it straight, it's in a pond. I took a gamble & hit a short armed, chicken wing, fade ... exactly what I wanted it to do. Faded right back in the fairway, like I knew what I was doing.
Bottom line is .... I can work this hybrid left or right with surprising ease. A lot easier than I could the 2-iron, which this replaced. So, yeah, it's staying in the bag (y)

Honma is handily beating out the 3 Fli-hi for that spot in the bag.

I’ve hit the 18° Honma 757 really well the past few rounds. It’s solidly in the bag as my 215y club. It’s so consistent for me. I love the ball flight and it sounds amazing.

The 3 Fli-Hi is out. I might try another shaft in it as one last Hail Mary but it’s going to be a tall task for it to do better for me than this Honma.
1667764980307.png
(Not sure why I have it labeled as H19 in ShotScope )

I thought this was going to replace my 7W. It has now replaced my 7W and my 5W. It’s just so easy to hit I use it on any edge of my range shots off the turf. Now that I have gotten a good grove with where to grip it and how it feels I am finding the sweet spot on almost every swing and it’s a really nice mid launch 185ish carry with some roll out. Hit one today on an uphill lie about 220. Got some extra launch and the fairways are rolling so got some extra distance but that is long. It’s deadly accurate as well.

Last edited:
I’ve hit the 18° Honma 757 really well the past few rounds. It’s solidly in the bag as my 215y club. It’s so consistent for me. I love the ball flight and it sounds amazing.

The 3 Fli-Hi is out. I might try another shaft in it as one last Hail Mary but it’s going to be a tall task for it to do better for me than this Honma.
View attachment 9133716
(Not sure why I have it labeled as H19 in ShotScope )
It performed really well the round we played together.

Plus the sound is really pleasing

It performed really well the round we played together.

Plus the sound is really pleasing
Im still laughing about that 134y shot into the gale force winds with it 🤣. The long par 3 I used it and we both landed on the dance-floor was pretty nice tho!

Im still laughing about that 134y shot into the gale force winds with it 🤣. The long par 3 I used it and we both landed on the dance-floor was pretty nice tho!
But before the wind caught that ball flight was lovely. I should have given it a hit in hindsight

Back