Honma XP-1 Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New review with data on the home page of the Honma XP-1 Driver. You can read the whole thing here.

I’m very intrigued by this driver. Best suited for mid and high handicaps, packed with forgiveness sound grest to me. The pockets at the bottom to help with speed and gear effect is nice, and being on the sole, it keeps the crown clean.

Looks great very clean both top and bottom. Vizard shafts are great, I’m not sure about the 43grams though.

Would definitely like to try this.

• Admin
This is one of my favorite reviews @ddec has written in a while. Really enjoyed reading it and it covered everything I had a question on.
I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the new data graphic inside an iPad haha.

@ddec your launch numbers were on the high side. If you were to game this driver, would you go to a 9.0* and the heavier shaft? Great information.

Great review Dean. The adjustability piece is quite interesting. I am assuming that loft is not adjustable on these based on the settings unless a loft tweak corresponds with one of the face/lie angle adjustments.

@ddec your launch numbers were on the high side. If you were to game this driver, would you go to a 9.0* and the heavier shaft? Great information.

Yeah the actual club for review is not what I would consider ideal for me. I tend to launch high already, and this club with this shaft is designed to do just that. So yes, I'd look for a lower loft and prefer a heavier shaft. But even as poorly as the fit was, numbers wise, I could still make it work.

Great review Dean. The adjustability piece is quite interesting. I am assuming that loft is not adjustable on these based on the settings unless a loft tweak corresponds with one of the face/lie angle adjustments.

Opening and closing the face does impact loft. Going with the open setting will take loft down. The opposite is true for closing the face.

Very thorough and in depth review, info on the tech and features in the item, and description of how it performs. I'd be curious how a heavier shaft would work, then a 9* with light and again with heavier shaft.. just to compare ALL the numbers

Very nice review. Reminds me of the Adam's XTD driver somehow. Price is almost $700 over here though.

Very thorough and in depth review, info on the tech and features in the item, and description of how it performs. I'd be curious how a heavier shaft would work, then a 9* with light and again with heavier shaft.. just to compare ALL the numbers

I would actually be down for that too. I think it could be fun.

figured I'd give this a bump in case anyone missed it. I know there was some excitement when it arrived.

got a message from someone asking about this driver, so I figure I'd give it another bump.

Rick Shiels posted a video review few days ago - he wasn't too excited to put it mildly. Then again I don't think this driver was meant for him anyway.

Hailey Ostrom put it in the bag but her YT review doesn't really provide much detail.

Hard to find more info and especially from someone who this driver is intended for. The price is a showstopper I guess, but what a great looking piece of equipment.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn COL-L29 met Tapatalk

Rick Shiels roasted the distance. No way I could pay $600 for a driver that is going to cost me that much distance. This has potential to be a bad release for Honma.

To be fair Rick says the shaft felt light and even in stiff felt soft to him.
He should get fitted before doing a review . This driver is for slow(er) swingers apparently.
I agree though at this price too risky.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn COL-L29 met Tapatalk

I like the @ddec review too, see my post from Nov. 6th. I think the real point is that for such an expensive product, it's disappointing to see so little valuable info - @ddec's review being the exception. It's hard to understand for me that I can't test this driver in a local golf store just because it is 'too expensive to demo' - so buy it and see what it does for you....?
Hence I rely on THP and also other review sites including YT to get the best possible info that is also of value to me as a high handicapper. If this is what it is, I can't justify forking out nearly $700 without knowing if it is right for me. Honma need to do a better job at this if they want to be more successful.

got a message from someone asking about this driver, so I figure I'd give it another bump.
@ddec Can you lower the loft on the driver - I see that the adjustability show open/Close Upright/Flat or if U/F like lowering and raising the loft?

@ddec Can you lower the loft on the driver - I see that the adjustability show open/Close Upright/Flat or if U/F like lowering and raising the loft?

If you open the clubface 1°, it will technically lower the effective loft of the club. Opposite true for closing the face. Upright and Flat help mess with it as well. It's not labeled as cleanly as it could be.

Back