Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
My favorite sport to play when I was younger was basketball. Played all through high school, tried-out but not good enough in college (so it was intramurals, baby), and then played in a couple of corporate leagues for a couple of years after college. Decided to give hockey a try after moving to Chi-town, and basketball went away in favor of hockey and golf.

Fast forward, ohhhh about 15 years, and after playing a couple of times per year, I helped coach my daughter's team and the bug bit me, again. Planning to play on a rec team with the other hoops coaches from my daughter's school. Since the end of the girl's season, have found myself in the gym a couple of times per week, for at least a couple hours per clip, just shooting. It's like getting in a time machine back to my school days when I would happily spend hours every day shooting or playing. Well, except that I have a job and a kiddo, so I can't spend hours everyday. LOL.

But, what it did bring back was something else I really enjoy doing. Found myself smiling on the court Wednesday evening, and again this morning.

So, yeah, a new pair of kicks was purchased (liking them so far), and looking forward to getting some more court time in over the coming weeks/months.

Anyone else previously or currently enjoy getting on the court and playing some bball?

I wish I like basketball more and was any good at it. When it comes to playing I am flat out BAD and have been since middle school. Still can't dribble between my legs, I blame it on being short and having big thighs. My middle school students love to beat me and then talk trash when I allow them to play.

Basketball was my first love before golf. Was the highest scoring player on JV. Averaged 5 3's per game on varsity and was an early qualifier for the WI 3 point contest at the beginning of the season. My coach didn't play me as much throughout the year so my numbers dropped. Had offers to play D2 but tore up my knee before I graduated. I haven't touched a basketball since my knee injury. I really have the itch to play again but I just haven't gotten to play.

Used to play a lot of basketball. Recently got a nice hoop for the driveway and really love going out and just shooting baskets. Definitely brings you back.

You know I love to play. At least a couple times a week.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Played throughout middle school and high school and absolutely loved it! Credit a lot do that to my coach. Even had the opportunity to coach with him a year. I love golf but miss playing basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is something I plan to get back into this spring as part of the plan to get in better shape. I have a hoop and a large asphalt area behind my house. Outstanding workout!

It’s funny that you posted this Jeremy; as I just came across my basketball in a closet I was reorganizing and planned on pumping it up and hitting the courts in my neighborhood.

Basketball has always been my favorite sport to play and I’m fairly decent. I can’t wait to see how rusty, and out of shape I am when I get back to it.

Robman7 and I used to play in a few leagues here and there. Really miss it and talk about wanting to play again here and there. Same with softball. Good luck out there jeremy.

It’s funny that you posted this Jeremy; as I just came across my basketball in a closet I was reorganizing and planned on pumping it up and hitting the courts in my neighborhood.

Basketball has always been my favorite sport to play and I’m fairly decent. I can’t wait to see how rusty, and out of shape I am when I get back to it.

Had to laugh at this, as it was funny how quickly I got tired. Oddly, it was my shoulders, the day after, which were the worst. Playing D during a couple of games, plus hoisting-up a couple hundred shots during a shoot-around really showed how rusty and out of shape I was/am. But I sure had fun getting to that point!

I used to play a LOT. I played city and church leagues and with friends. We used to do big one on one tournaments with a a small buy in, winner take all. It was fun. I was a pretty good shooter and defender, but had no hands for dribbling. I need to get where I can play again. It's something I enjoy and a good way to exercise without thinking about exercising.

I'm so much better before the whistle blows, LOL...

What I mean is, I'm a good all around athlete and particularly with basketball, I have (had) a lot of moves, good handle and I've always had a good jumper too, but I appear to be a much better player than I really am.

Case in point, 1994. I was 26 years old and my police precinct's basketball team was fairly stacked and some of the competition they played against was strong, some D1 talent.

Player/coach and grizzled vet, (later to become) my boy Cecil asked me if I could play ball. Told him, "I'm alright, football's my game but I can hang."

"Hang?!" He asked incredulously. "Hang your damn nail, I'm asking if you can play ball."

"Uh... yeah. I can play."

Very first practice, there I am with my circus moves. Shifting between the leg dribble, stutter drive spin, around the back, crossover, driving to the hole, etc. Nonsense.

Cecil was impressed, he names me starting PG over "D," who played division II ball at the point and was a SOLID baller as the day is long.

Lol... In nearly a cold sweat I immediately went to Cecil and told him that the buzzer harkens a masterful magician within me. Once it matters, my skills disappear. There's no there, there.

He blew me off, the 1st game wasn't exactly a tragedy bit let's just say that D as our 6th man was destined to be league MVP.

I was quickly relegated to 6th man status, backup SG which suited me just fine. Averaged a respectable double digits (12.something, if memory serves).

Out of the spotlight suits me waaay best.

I used to live for basketball. Grew up in the country with a hoop and pole my dad made. Played in the dirt, didn't have concrete or asphalt . When I got old and tall enough, I would place a two foot high box on the ground just in front of the basket. Would get a running start and use the box as a place to plant my foot to get lift and dunk. I was only 5'10", but I could touch the rim without the use of the box. Tried out 3 times for teams in high school and quit before final cuts as it was always a pain in the butt to get to and from practice without a ride. Parents were great, but not supportive when it came to sports. They always thought it was unnecessary. Took a PE basketball class at community college and the instructor set up a tourney for all the guys to participate in. I guess I was considered an afterthought being a mid sized white kid with a lot of the colleges' basketball players in the class. Kicked all of their asses. The teacher was amazed as every day he would ask "who won" in that days match, I would always say "I did". He told the college coach about me and asked me to try out for the team. Like a lot idiots in college, I was working part time and figured that was more important. To this day that is one of my biggest regrets. Would have love to have said I got to play college ball. Might not have been much, but it would have been cool. Played in men's leagues in various cities within driving distance until I was 32. Screwed up my back playing softball and that was it. Haven't really played any since. I miss it. Growing up playing ball with my buds were probably some of the best times of my life. Golf has filled the void. I have as much passion for it, as I ever did for basketball. I love to compete. Doesn't have to be against anyone other than myself. Just turned 50. Can't jump or shoot anymore, but I can chip and putt. That's good enough.

[video=youtube;fgZ-KQKrzZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZ-KQKrzZ0[/video]

I will say last time I tried a "comeback" I jumped right back into a full court pickup game. About halfway through, after playing pretty well and feeling good, both calf muscles went into a full cramp and I just dropped to the floor. Wasn't funny at the time but looking back I have to laugh. I just have to remember I'm not young or in shape anymore. Lol

Basketball was my first love. Played on the junior high team for two years and played on JV and Varsity for 3 years. Proudest moment is holding the HS record for most points in a game. I wonder if it still stands? Tore my ACL in my junior year and took a year off before playing my senior year. After high school I played here and there. Mostly at the gym but nowadays it’s been 100% golf for a while.

Getting in a few games this morning.
76143a13a92fa11d208834c2e0d221e0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm the oddball, not a fan. Grew up watching the 80's Celtics teams (my dad was a huge fan). Just not my thing (doesn't help that I stink). I'm the King of hitting the back of the rim behind hoop and having it bounce back at me. Don't care to watch an NBA game and college ball even less. When the talk turns to basketball on the local sports radio station I turn it. I just don't care. Even when the Celtics won their Championship a few years ago (more than a few now that I think about it) I didn'r watch even 1 minute of the playoff or Championship games. I'm not a bandwagon fan and really had no interest. Luckily there are other sports for me to enjoy!

I'm the oddball, not a fan. Grew up watching the 80's Celtics teams (my dad was a huge fan). Just not my thing (doesn't help that I stink). I'm the King of hitting the back of the rim behind hoop and having it bounce back at me. Don't care to watch an NBA game and college ball even less. When the talk turns to basketball on the local sports radio station I turn it. I just don't care. Even when the Celtics won their Championship a few years ago (more than a few now that I think about it) I didn'r watch even 1 minute of the playoff or Championship games. I'm not a bandwagon fan and really had no interest. Luckily there are other sports for me to enjoy!
I'm totally with you now as far as any interest in NBA or College ball. I used to love it but have completely lost interest over the years. Still fun to shoot around though.

I'm not a very tall guy, so needless to say I wasn't the best at basketball. I played in middle school and through my Freshman year in H.S. After that I gave it up. I was ok, I wasn't good enough to start on Varsity, but I started on JV and was one of the first off the bench in the Varsity games. I could shoot and not turn the ball over, but I wasn't putting up double digits or anything. Fast forward to my late 20's and I was playing a rec league with some co-workers, we were ok. I ended up catching a ball on the tip of my right hand ring finger and popped the tendon and ended up having to have a metal pin put in for 9 weeks. That was the end of my basketball playing days. I still shoot from time to time, but I'm not actively out looking for a game.

I played through HS. I had an old man game even then. Screen, box out, play great “d”. I have played in a men’s league for a few years, only subbing this year.

The kids are showing interest so my old man is buying them a hoop for their birthdays (3 in March). Getting a pretty sweet portable set up from Pro Dunk Hoops. We live on a culdasac and it will be nice!

Basketball was my jam when I was growing up. My brother and I would play one on one in the back pasture for hours on end. We had an old cement pad that we put a hoop up on, and we battled day in and day out. Lost a chunk of a tooth playing out there. Rolled my ankles more times than I can remember.

Because we were in the country, basketball was one of our main sports (it and volleyball). Played JV and Varsity, but wasn't the tallest kid. Played a lot of shooting guard, and loved playing defence that would drive the other team's players crazy.

There really was no where else to go with it after high school here. Scholarships really didn't exist at the time (not that I was good enough/tall enough to get one). It is a thing that I wish I had stayed more active in. Really just waiting for our next house to make sure I can put up a hoop and teach my son how to play.

My favorite sport to play when I was younger was basketball. Played all through high school, tried-out but not good enough in college (so it was intramurals, baby), and then played in a couple of corporate leagues for a couple of years after college. Decided to give hockey a try after moving to Chi-town, and basketball went away in favor of hockey and golf.

Fast forward, ohhhh about 15 years, and after playing a couple of times per year, I helped coach my daughter's team and the bug bit me, again. Planning to play on a rec team with the other hoops coaches from my daughter's school. Since the end of the girl's season, have found myself in the gym a couple of times per week, for at least a couple hours per clip, just shooting. It's like getting in a time machine back to my school days when I would happily spend hours every day shooting or playing. Well, except that I have a job and a kiddo, so I can't spend hours everyday. LOL.

But, what it did bring back was something else I really enjoy doing. Found myself smiling on the court Wednesday evening, and again this morning.

So, yeah, a new pair of kicks was purchased (liking them so far), and looking forward to getting some more court time in over the coming weeks/months.

Anyone else previously or currently enjoy getting on the court and playing some bball?

I completely understand this. I stopped hooping June 14th of last year. I miss it a lot.
However, after dislocating my knee for the 2nd time, I had to stop playing vs 25 yrs olds. I'm 42 in 3 months.
I want to be able to walk my dogs & golf for the rest of my life without a gimp, limp, or reconstruction.
I do miss it a lot.

Keep playing as long as you can and are still healthy.

Hooping it up...

Played lots of organized basketball into my late 20s including HS teams, college intramurals, and adult leagues. Even played a game on donkeys way back in the day! FYI, pictures isn't from the 50s. The photographer used black & white film because it's cheap.

c6ff9a7fcff51fb151368a5553d1c3f7.jpg

Basketball was my sport all through high school and into college before I discovered how enjoyable beer and girls were.

3 year starter on varsity, senior year ended up playing in the state final four losing to the eventual state champ. Had a decent vertical winning a couple dunk contests, nothing like what I see now a days..I really have no clue how kids like Zion exist.

Played in several church leagues and at the Y for years after college, until one day I fully dislocated my left ankle. Bottom of my left foot was facing my right leg while my leg was straight to the floor. Now I have a huge mental block/fear of a repeat performance and have quit playing in pick up games or anything involving more than just me shooting around.

Back