Horrible range session

ATRannals

Reaction score
Not looking for any specific advice, as I’m hoping this was just an anomaly that will soon be in the rear view. Just needed to vent with an audience that can share my pain.

So, I’ve been working with a swing coach over the last year and trying to hit the range at least once a week. I know that I’ve made significant progress and I’m really looking forward to playing more rounds this year. I was scheduled for one last session today before heading to Florida for vacation (Daytona Bike week among other activities). Unfortunately, my coach’s wife had a medical emergency and had to cancel. OK, I’ve been making good progress, I’ll just hit a bucket to keep up with my practice and keep getting better.

I have no idea what happened, but I felt like I regressed back to day 1. I wasn’t making good contact, my horrible slice returned, and I wasn’t consistent with anything. Whatever swing thought I would focus on would result in everything else in my swing going to crap. I’m truly hoping that this was just a result of the change in plans, my overall lack of focus, or general anxiety about hitting the course next week. I’ll have the chance to hit the range in the next day or two and see what that brings. Then it’s down to Florida and sink or swim on the course.

My hope is that I can erase today’s swings from the memory data banks and get back to making better swings that will allow me to not completely embarrass myself on the course. Wish me luck!

P.S. Got a text later that all is well with Coach’s wife, so glad the worst issue was a missed lesson. 👍🏻

Go back to half swings, and when that is working during the range session, go to a slower full swing. Gradual steps.

Yeah, this happens to me every so often. Any number of reasons can cause it.

Jmo, but a lot of times I just figure its a health issue. Maybe I was fatigued when I started. Maybe I was a little dehydrated. Just stuff like this, that will cause me to misplace my swing coordination.

I'm usually cured a day, or three later.

one swing focus at a time! if I try to think of 2 or more I get all out of whack. I also go back to hitting half swings with my gap wedge to get back on track. And no matter how crappy I hit on the range, if I just relax on the course I make good contact and show some improvement.

Sounds kinda like me on Sun. Hosled about four out of six balls early. Then bannana slicse. Haven't seen either in ages. I was screwing with my grip a little. Went back to basics, half swings with 7i w/feet close together, went into pump it mode from there. Then opened the face on my driver a smidge and was cranking it the best I have since I picked up golf again. Long and short, went from fuming and WTF to that's awesome, WTF? ...those drives prob won't make it out to the course with me. I love golf. :)

Once in awhile I’ll have a bad range session. it happens but rarely sticks around. If I get 1/3 way into a large , 80 ball, bucket and things are still in the dumper I give the balls to someone and leave.

This isn't unusual, at least for me. I can be having weeks where I go to the range and am making solid progress, everything is feeling right and I feel like I might have finally cracked it. Then the next day I'm slicing balls, chunking irons and thinning chips all over the place, feels like I've never swung a club in my life. I usually just take a few days away, and then go back to swinging half pitching wedges until the feel comes back. The game is hard...

It happens brother. Just try to shake it off, remember that golf is hard, and get back at it(y)(y)

Been there man, you'll come out of it. In all likelihood it was simply a bad day. I remember texting my brother several times last year because I was shook after a poor range session.

Off days happen. In prior times I would grind away, digging a deeper hole. Now I run through a check of the the basics. Usually I can find something simple that has wandered. For me it is usually setup or takeaway. And some days it is best to leave the range and spend the time instead on a practice green. 😃 I can fight the swing on another day. 😉

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I’m going to try and hit the range again tomorrow, which is my last day before I head south for vacation. Hoping I can go back to basics and get back on track. 👍🏻

Alan

Had a much better session today! Still need to work on my consistency, but I’m sure that’s a lifelong journey. We’ll see how my round at Disney World goes next week. Hopefully I can bring some of that warm weather back north and start getting some rounds in. Come on Spring!

Alan

Not looking for any specific advice, as I’m hoping this was just an anomaly that will soon be in the rear view. Just needed to vent with an audience that can share my pain.

So, I’ve been working with a swing coach over the last year and trying to hit the range at least once a week. I know that I’ve made significant progress and I’m really looking forward to playing more rounds this year. I was scheduled for one last session today before heading to Florida for vacation (Daytona Bike week among other activities). Unfortunately, my coach’s wife had a medical emergency and had to cancel. OK, I’ve been making good progress, I’ll just hit a bucket to keep up with my practice and keep getting better.

I have no idea what happened, but I felt like I regressed back to day 1. I wasn’t making good contact, my horrible slice returned, and I wasn’t consistent with anything. Whatever swing thought I would focus on would result in everything else in my swing going to crap. I’m truly hoping that this was just a result of the change in plans, my overall lack of focus, or general anxiety about hitting the course next week. I’ll have the chance to hit the range in the next day or two and see what that brings. Then it’s down to Florida and sink or swim on the course.

My hope is that I can erase today’s swings from the memory data banks and get back to making better swings that will allow me to not completely embarrass myself on the course. Wish me luck!

P.S. Got a text later that all is well with Coach’s wife, so glad the worst issue was a missed lesson. 👍🏻
Hey bud,
Keep you head up, it is probably one of those things that when you have that final lesson it will all get ironed out. Those sessions are frustrating and when you realize when it is one, just cut bait and try not to ingrain the bad habits! Have fun in Daytona!

Back