Horseshoes or Hand Grenades

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Just wondering what was the closest you ever got to a hole-in-one without actually going in the hole. I've had two such shots. The first was on a par 3 (natch) 178 yds, where I hit a 3 hybrid over a pond, saw the ball land on the green from the tee but that was it. When I got up to the green the ball was sitting right on the lip of the cup. I walked up to my ball and just stood there looking at it. When my friend asked what I was waiting for I replied, "either a strong wind or a earthquake" True story. :laughing:

2nd one was on a short par 3 where I hit a 8i and the ball landed 6" right of the pin and stopped dead.

I have one. Couple within a foot or less 3 times. I did hit the pin this year once but didn't drop and stopped a foot away. :(

Depends on how big the horseshoe is.

I've never been close to be honest.

I’ve never had a hio but have had two or three within 3 - 5 inches. Still waiting....:rolleyes:

I’ve never had a hio but have had two or three within 3 - 5 inches. Still waiting....:rolleyes:

Same here. There’s a par 3 at my home course that plays 130-160 depending on where the tees are. Seems like if I hit the green I’m always within a foot or so. One of these days?

I have one. Couple within a foot or less 3 times. I did hit the pin this year once but didn't drop and stopped a foot away. :(

Should be referred to as a Mickelson now...

One within a foot.

I’ve had a couple stop within inches of the cup. Playing a course I’d never played before, probably playing 115 or so. Stoped 3” left of the cup.

Closest for me was this summer. 150 yard par 3 ended up just shy of 2’ from the hole.

I have had 4 stop on the lip. All of them only needed half a roll to find the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back in July, I had one land on th top of the green and roll back to about 4ft. Then it took 3 putts to get it down.:mad:

I have had 4 stop on the lip. All of them only needed half a roll to find the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Man it sounds like you need to get the brakes adjusted on those things. ;)

I've hit the pin more times than I care to remember. It never seems to work out for me.

Two close ones.

Par 3: 122yd wedge shot hit the green, spun back about 2' and ended up about 1/2" from going on the hole. To be honest, I wish it had been 2 feet away, instead of a 1/2".

Par 3: 195 yd with an old school 5 iron (6 iron loft these days) that hit the pin on the fly, about a foot, to a foot and a half above the hole, went straight down in the hole and popped out to the rear and ended up about 5' away.

I’ve had more than a dozen finish less than 2” from the hole and a few with some of the ball over the hole. I’ve also had another handful damage the lip of the hole and not go in. Fortunately, I’ve had two go in so I’m not complaining.

One about a spaghetti noodle away on 116yd hole. Hole in one on a 63 yard pitch and putt in Dartmouth, Mass. Played free for the rest of the year thanks to the owner weed whacking the fence line.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Closest I have been a par 3 about 160 yds couple inches from the holeScreenshot_20190801-194426_Gallery.jpg

I had one stop about 3 inches short and had another lip out and end up 5 inches behind the hole. I did get one a couple years ago though and it was awesome.

Way too many times to count I've been close. I've rung the whole a few times, hit the pin twice, and had it go right past the hole and have tap ins. It's frustrating to think I will never get one.

You name it, I’ve done it. Lip out, flag grabs, pin knocks, slam dunks to the metal cup and bound into the water. Worst was a double lip out. Green was fairly tilted back right to front left. A semi thinned wedge that faded to front edge, rolled up and lipped out up hill to the back fringe- fringe kind of bounced it back down the hill toward the hole... and lipped out again. 45 years of this crap... and no ace... yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one about a foot away on a par three at blackthorn in south bend a few years back. Lucky shot but it did happen.

About 5 feet is the closest I’ve ever been. That was just once, and I surprisingly made the putt. I honestly don’t know how I’m never any closer to the hole than I end up. You kid think I’d have one close every now and then just out of dumb luck, but it never seems to happen.

I have a HIO...

closest is probably a couple of inches

Just wondering what was the closest you ever got to a hole-in-one without actually going in the hole. I've had two such shots. The first was on a par 3 (natch) 178 yds, where I hit a 3 hybrid over a pond, saw the ball land on the green from the tee but that was it. When I got up to the green the ball was sitting right on the lip of the cup. I walked up to my ball and just stood there looking at it. When my friend asked what I was waiting for I replied, "either a strong wind or a earthquake" True story. :laughing:

2nd one was on a short par 3 where I hit a 8i and the ball landed 6" right of the pin and stopped dead.

I do have a hole in one but previous to that I have two different times where my ball mark was literally the cup edge. Craziness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back