Horseshoes or Hand Grenades

Back in 1970, I had two in the same round that I put within 5" of the hole.

I hit a 4h from 185ish to ~6" in late 2017 (I think). It's my profile pic here.

I hit a PW to ~1' in the early 2000's after playing for only 3-4 years.

I'm sure I've hit several to within a few feet, but those two are the first ones that come to mind when discussing near aces.

lipped out from 185 downhill par 3 and the pin was on a downward slope part of the green. Watched the ball hit the top of the crest right of the pin. Hop and then roll towards the cup and saw it change direction at the pin/cup. The group as like "aaaaahhhhhh man" and all excited for me but I was like nothing even happened. Simply because nothing did lol.

I've had two close calls. One was last year where the ball ended up about 3 inches from the hole. The second was in an even three years ago where the ball had to just about lip out as it rolled past the hole. It was on one of those holes where if you get a hole in one you win a car too!

I got my first (and only so far) HIO a couple of years ago.
Before that the closest without going in was a few years ago.
151 yards over a pond into a 25 mph wind.
I had to hit a hard 6 iron to get there and the ball stopped less than 1/4 revolution from going in.

I have one. Couple within a foot or less 3 times. I did hit the pin this year once but didn't drop and stopped a foot away. :(

Last time I hit the pin I hit a zapped wedge from 110 on an executive course it hit at the very lowest it could. Damn thing bounced off the green and I made bogey. Had there been no pin, that sucked back and most likely would have been in. Maybe not but it would have been really damn close. Easy birdie range. So if you hit the pin and had an easy birdie you were lucky. The only time I can recall hitting the pin from more than 100yards my results sucked.

Back