Hot Take- Callaway’s Arms race

Dt1741

Reaction score
Handicap
Let me first say, Im a big fan of what Callaway produces. The brand marketing, the tech development, tour presence, etc, etc are industry leading and I hold in high regard. With that being said does anyone else see an issue with this years equipment release ? Currently on the market, they have 7 drivers, 9 irons sets, and the just released multiple ball options. While I like options this seems excessive. Its 3 years of product release. Is this trend to keep up or ahead of other guys? Why the excessive release? Does this create an issue? Does this flooding the market strategy work? Should we expect this level of releases in the future?

I think its weird too the amount of options available (I know many will argue options are a good thing).. but with last year's Mavrik release, the Epic Flash line stayed at the same price point for about 6 months. Most consumers wondered why the new Mavrik stuff is cheaper than last years Epic Flash products. Only the really informed golfers understood the epic and Mavrik are different product lines

But to your point there were I think 9 different hybrid options available which was a bit much. Super hybrid, epic flash, epic flash star, Mavrik, Mavrik pro, Mavrik Max, Apex, Apex Pro, and Big Bertha were all full price together at one point. Different options to different golfers I totally understand....but it feels like with that amount of product they're competing against themselves with so much product

I guess I just find what I like and what works for a few seasons and forget about releases. I don't change clubs every year so this really doesn't affect me. I like to give it a few seasons work with what I have and by then maybe some sort of new tech is out and then change I suppose.

I think its weird too the amount of options available (I know many will argue options are a good thing).. but with last year's Mavrik release, the Epic Flash line stayed at the same price point for about 6 months. Most consumers wondered why the new Mavrik stuff is cheaper than last years Epic Flash products. Only the really informed golfers understood the epic and Mavrik are different product lines

But to your point there were I think 9 different hybrid options available which was a bit much. Super hybrid, epic flash, epic flash star, Mavrik, Mavrik pro, Mavrik Max, Apex, Apex Pro, and Big Bertha were all full price together at one point. Different options to different golfers I totally understand....but it feels like with that amount of product they're competing against themselves with so much product

I don't care too much about all these releases, but the bold has struck me too. Hybrids are such a small slice of the market that I feel like they have to be discounting heavily with that many skews. It seems like a waste.

Last edited:
It is good to have choices, but I can see where it will be overwhelming for some. One thing for sure, there should be an iron there for everyone, same with drivers.
Just a matter of if your current gear is worth uploading.

sku management does not seem to be as high a priority for them as others. that said, they're still making money and still moving product. not sure why any consumer would complain about options.

Good points but where does the madness stop. In 2023 should we expect 5 drivers and 11 iron sets? It can be confusing for the buyer but geez even the green grass fitters may struggle with the options. At some point they will cease growth cannibalize their market share. Do other competitors follow this trend?

Frito Lay makes countless varieties of potato chips and Ford makes a ton of different cars. IMO the more choices in the market the better, and if many of those choices come from the same company I don’t have a problem with that. If they’re making money (and I assume they are) then they must be doing something right.

Good points but where does the madness stop. In 2023 should we expect 5 drivers and 11 iron sets? It can be confusing for the buyer but geez even the green grass fitters may struggle with the options. At some point they will cease growth cannibalize their market share. Do other competitors follow this trend?

Each company releases new products every year.
Inventory management plays the largest role and with Callaway currently MAVRIK will be gone from shelves relatively soon, despite technically being in line.
Currently Mizuno has 8 iron sets (if you include SEL) or more if you include their Fli-Hi substitute options. Titleist has 9 iron options (10 if you include S) that are all completely current.

Personally I love the options, as choices are good. As long as inventory is managed, it is a win for everybody.

The amount of product out there can get overwhelming. That is why a good fitter that know the in's and out's of all the product out there and their differences however minor is important. Then your job is to just trust that he is doing what is best for you..

IMO as long as the company is explaining where each product fits (i.e., its purpose and what type of player it is designed for) I don't think there is such a thing as too many options. On the contrary, I think it is fabulous.

They must be selling them fairly cheap to retailers as I saw in the store yesterday there was an overwhelming amount of Mavrik stock and it's all pretty much marked down 10-20%. I think in some ways it works since they have more opportunities to get Callaway clubs in front of every type of consumer. However, me being someone that works close to product marketing/management in my day job I think it's a bit disingenuous how often they release so many products. I will say I appreciate their Apex lineup as that stays true to a heavily R&D'd product even if they weren't for me at all.

I think at times, the vast selection maybe becomes a bit overwhelming when trying to make a choice, but that is just me.

Is it bad that they have so much stuff out? Not really. If you want to upgrade, do it. If you don't, then don't.
Just because there is new gear available, doesn't mean you need to buy it.
If you do want to buy though? Make sure you test and test, to find the right option.

That's a marketing / communication problem, not a volume of products problem.

again, as long as they're profitable and the variety doesn't degrade quality or cause confusion, i'm all for it.

Personally I love options. They have multiple lines targeting various player profiles in different price points.

For a newer golfer, I can definitely see how it could be overwhelming, but at the same time, I would think the core of golf business is repeat sales. There are the hardcore addicts that replace during the year then there are the more sane ones that replace their gear at a more moderate rate and then those that keep their stuff for a decade or more.

I would love to see the stats, but would imagine a real high percentage of the sales comes from the the first 2 groups.

Like others, I can see how it can become confusing from a consumer’s perspective. I have no way to determine at what point the potential for confusion actually turns into diminishing revenue. Options are great to have, but as they grow, it becomes more important for the consumer to be educated or have reliable input from a good fitter.

The amount of product out there can get overwhelming. That is why a good fitter that know the in's and out's of all the product out there and their differences however minor is important. Then your job is to just trust that he is doing what is best for you..

"Jeez... They are rivaling the early 2000 Taylormade for release speed. How many drivers have they pumped out in the last 12 months? Like 6? "

"Jeez... They are rivaling the early 2000 Taylormade for release speed. How many drivers have they pumped out in the last 12 months? Like 6? "

haha.. I didn't say it was a bad thing.. but for sure you got me there..

Sure that many choices may be a bit much but that will sort itself out... and product lines will come and go as the manufacturers determine the market they are willing to serve.

I just wish that this many choices were around in the early 1990's when I started playing golf. Not a lot of options then for a lefty... I'll take the overload of options(y)

I have no problem wirh the release cycle. Golf is what i love to play in my free time. New releases are always fun to check out. And sometimes a new club really helps. I wont even try a fairway wood this year because i have never hit them better than the 3 and 5 Mavrik Max just like the PM grind 58 degree wedge. Driver is a different story. I love hitting driver and always like to at least try the new releases. And yearly releases are fine and i am always hoping to find one that is better than the last. ( at the same time i work hard on improving my swing because i know its not just the club). Callaway is a for profit business so i have no problem with the release process if as @JB said they control their inventory and dont damage their own profitability so they can go on to create more great clubs. Plus with the trade in bonus programs when you make a trade i look at it like the money you dont get back when you upgrade is like leasing a car, you get the use out of it for the time you had it and thats where that portion of the money went. I hope companies continue to try to improve their product. Its then up to the individual to decide if for them it is worth upgrading.

I know I'd be damned confused were it not for keeping track of what's going on, here on THP. Not kidding.

There definitely is truth in your statement. I take what I can from THP and I trust that the person fitting me is knowledgeable regarding the product.

If you're a Callaway fan, I can guarantee there is something in their lineup that will work for you.
That's the beauty of having a large number of options. They are covering basically every part of the bell curve and I bet their supply chain and inventory matches that as well. I bet they aren't producing the same amount of BB21s vs the Epic Speed/Max drivers.

Back