Hottest cities ranked by heat index.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Me too. It's been a poor Spring here in the UK compared to last year. I need t-shirt and shorts weather.

Dang...#16 on the list.Never thought it would be that high.

My first thought looking at some of the list was "NO WAY!", but then read that they take into account the daily low temps along with the high temps. That explains how a place like Sacramento, which gets brutally hot in the summer, rates so low, because we typically have a 30* temperature swing between the daily high and low.

Not liking that list much since Laughlin Nv/ Bullhead City Az is not listed. It way hotter down there than Las Vegas/Paradise Valley is. Probably some special criteria being used.

I need to move to Arizona. Love hot, hate cold.

Fayetteville, NC should have been at the top of this list. It’s like the 7th circle of hell there during the Summer. It’s affectionately referred to as “Fayette-Nam”!

The great MN winter was so mild this year. It was kind of like an extended fall.
Mild but long as we had that 9” snowfall on October 19th that shut down golf for a week much sooner than most falls. I did play golf in MN December 10th and March 9th which was very late and very early.

Heat is definitely not something that I seek out. I’m perfectly happy with 70* weather in the summer. Maybe I’m acclimatized to the cold…

Can someone please explain how Chicago is not on that list? It gets hotter than hades in the summer there.

Can someone please explain how Chicago is not on that list? It gets hotter than hades in the summer there.
Chicago is #33 on the list. :)

Not listed on there, but Pensacola is the only place to make me quit a round of golf early, because it was literally too hot.

Not listed on there, but Pensacola is the only place to make me quit a round of golf early, because it was literally too hot.
If you click on the link Pensacola is ranked 50th out of 361 cities on the full list. Damn hot for sure!

Chicago is #33 on the list. :)

Still trying to understand how the heat index for Chicago is only 81*. People die every year in Chicago because of the heat.

Twin Cities #38. Probably similar to where I am. The humidity is a killer; hot days are miserable.

I'd like 68º and partly sunny with a slight breeze year around, please.

This list looks more believable than Trip Advisor and the stupid top places for BBQ!! 🤣🤣

Top 10. That’s more like it.

DFW, Feel my pain.....

Not liking that list much since Laughlin Nv/ Bullhead City Az is not listed. It way hotter down there than Las Vegas/Paradise Valley is. Probably some special criteria being used.
Can confirm that we're hotter than Vegas down here (Havasu) in the summer. They must have had some size/population cutoff, because we're significantly hotter than any of those cities (except maybe debatably Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale). In June through September our average high temps are 105.1, 109.3, 108.1 and 101.9, respectively. Average lows in the same months are 75.5, 82.7, 82.3 and 74.5. And averages can be misleading - it's not uncommon to have 120+ temps in late June, and many days in July and August are 110+, with nighttime lows in the high 80s/low 90s.

Our first 100+ degree day this year was on April 30th, and we had 4 other days of 95+ in April. So far in May we've broken 100 degrees 5 days and had 9 other days of 95+, so for this entire month so far we've had one day that was under 95 degrees (May 3rd, when it was only 86 degrees). So yeah, it gets a bit toasty here! :cool:

Can confirm that we're hotter than Vegas down here (Havasu) in the summer. They must have had some size/population cutoff, because we're significantly hotter than any of those cities (except maybe debatably Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale). In June through September our average high temps are 105.1, 109.3, 108.1 and 101.9, respectively. Average lows in the same months are 75.5, 82.7, 82.3 and 74.5. And averages can be misleading - it's not uncommon to have 120+ temps in late June, and many days in July and August are 110+, with nighttime lows in the high 80s/low 90s.

Our first 100+ degree day this year was on April 30th, and we had 4 other days of 95+ in April. So far in May we've broken 100 degrees 5 days and had 9 other days of 95+, so for this entire month so far we've had one day that was under 95 degrees (May 3rd, when it was only 86 degrees). So yeah, it gets a bit toasty here! :cool:
Havasu is hotter than Vegas in the summer imo. It's right there with Laughlin/Bullhead only being a few miles farther south. Havasu might even be the hottest of the three.

Just reading some more on this
Apparently the word "index" is the difference. Something to do with the temp, humidity, and what the heat feels like in the shade.

All I know is, that hot is hot.

Last edited:
Twin Cities #38. Probably similar to where I am. The humidity is a killer; hot days are miserable.

I'd like 68º and partly sunny with a slight breeze year around, please.

That #38 ranking is for the top 50 most populated cities so you could say Minneapolis has the 12th most comfortable summers out of all the large cities. In the full ranking of 361 cities, they rank 244th. I think a lot of people think it's really hot where they are but they likely would appreciate their summer climate if they spent a summer in Dallas or Phoenix, lol. Minneapolis averages less than 9 days each year with a heat index over 95 while Dallas averages 82 days.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 8.00.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Minneapolis averages less than 9 days each year with a heat index over 95 while Dallas averages 82 days.
That's (less than) 9 days too many :LOL:

Back