Houston area people

bhilton

Reaction score
Handicap
There's a pretty good chance that I'll be moving there sometime in the beginning of next year. My office will most likely be in the Memorial City area. I've been looking at houses in the northwest part of Houston, but wasn't sure if that was a good area or not. I don't really have that much knowledge on the area.

Also, and most importantly, what are the golf options down there. I know there are some really nice courses in the area. What are some of the good ones? I would eventually like to join a club when I get down there, but the price has to be reasonable. I can't cough up a $15k initiation fee to join one.

Man it would be great to have you down here. I'll shoot you a PM with my phone # and I can help as much as I can

Man it would be great to have you down here. I'll shoot you a PM with my phone # and I can help as much as I can

That would be awesome. I have a couple of friends down in the area (mostly in the Pasadena and Humble area) and they don't really know much about the northwest part of the city.

Pm sent

NW was my stomping grounds growing up... it's a decent part of town.

Jersey Village and further west on 290 is growing super fast and is a pretty good part of town. Good school district (Cy-Fair ISD). Cypress is a nice part and has blown up in population since 2004-ish.

A lot of good public golf in the area. The only downside about Houston golf is that private courses inside BW8 are pretty dang steep.

As Mike said, if you need anything shoot me a message. I'm happy to help with whatever you need.

NW was my stomping grounds growing up... it's a decent part of town.

Jersey Village and further west on 290 is growing super fast and is a pretty good part of town. Good school district (Cy-Fair ISD). Cypress is a nice part and has blown up in population since 2004-ish.

A lot of good public golf in the area. The only downside about Houston golf is that private courses inside BW8 are pretty dang steep.

As Mike said, if you need anything shoot me a message. I'm happy to help with whatever you need.

I was looking a lot in the Spring area. That doesn't look to be too far of a drive into work every day. I did look at the private courses close to Memorial City and I can tell you right now, unless they give me a really good raise, I won't be joining them. I should be coming down in about a month or so to check out the area to see if this move is something that I actually want to do (pretty sure it is, though). When I come down, we all need to get together for a round somewhere.

The Memorial City area is surrounded by bad spots, but so is just about everywhere else in Houston. Memorial City itself is very nice and the mall, hotels, and Town and Country Village are awesome spots to hang out and spend a weekend. There are some very pricy restaurants in the Town and Country Village that are very good - Flemings, McCormick and Schmick's, Texas De Brazil, Brio, etc. The Houston Texan's sports bar is there as well. AND, there is a Club Champion location there. If you haven't been, they are a unique custom golf club fitter that use trackman in bays and a SAM putting lab.

Depending on what part of Spring you are looking at, you are probably looking at a 1 hour drive to work during traffic hours/rush hour (maybe less, maybe more). Outside of rush hour you would be more like 30 minutes out. I live in Humble (and work in Pasadena) and it takes me 45 minutes to get from the house to Memorial City. I don't know much about the courses in Spring. But living there would put you 15 minutes or so from your friends in Humble, and 30 minutes from your friends in Pasadena.

I don't have much info on the northwest side, but have heard great things about the area and Cyfair ISD. Cypress Lakes is a very nice course out off 290 near Mueschke that is public, but offers memberships. I don't know what their initiation fee is, but I believe their memberships start at $250 a month for unlimited golf for an individual (more for a family deal).

Kingwood recently gave us a real good deal on joining, and being ClubCorp with their recent purchase of Sequoia gives you about 16 different courses in Houston you can play.

Back