How Are Golf Shafts Made?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 1, How are Golf Shafts Made?

Have you ever wondered where golf shafts come from? How they are made? The materials used? How are they painted? What makes one different from another? THP TV is bringing you a new series this year called Lab Rats with Don Brown and it features shaft knowledge, education and a whole lot of fun straight from an expert at Project X Shafts.

Shot in 4K so THP Recommends Full Screen Viewing

Episode 1 is here and you will see everything that goes into the creation of a golf shaft and follow each step of the process towards creation. Don gives you a full tour of the Project X Golf facility in San Diego, CA and explains what each area is responsible for. Once that part is complete, there is a one on one interview with the Dean of THP discussing some of the fascinating technology parts of a shaft and some of the misnomers that exist for golfers

Don’t forget to subscribe to the THP TV channel, so you can catch each and every episode that comes out.

Must watch stuff JB. Think I'll work from home and catch this on the big screen after I drop off the kiddo.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

"Do not tweet Don Brown asking for free shafts" was some very smart advice to put in there.

Very interesting and informative video. I highly doubt Don would notice if 15 or 20 of those shafts in his office disappeared. I could not resist grabbing the sweet Red Sox cup also which would bet me snagged though...haha.

Will have to wait until later to catch this, but really looking forward to it.

Very cool watch. That squeegee is cool. Low tech but actually super efficient.

What's gonna be happening with the back stage passes that pop up?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

That's a really good look into the overall process. I still get a huge kick out of the squeegee. All the high tech crazy toys in there....and they put the paint on with a bucket because it's the most efficient method.

Great video and great content!

• Admin
Very cool watch. That squeegee is cool. Low tech but actually super efficient.

What's gonna be happening with the back stage passes that pop up?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You will have to wait to find out...

Then again, it is THP TV, and that is your backstage pass...haha

You will have to wait to find out...

Then again, it is THP TV, and that is your backstage pass...haha
Jb, always up to something. Always for our benefit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Maybe it's just me, but I'm still amazed at how much science, design and tech go into making a golf shaft...Outside of the squeegee painting of course (which was awesome). Very cool video with great I sights and the video quality is fantastic! I love what I'm seeing in THP's media strategy. Awesome stuff.

P.S. - This just made The Handcrafted Experience even more insane to me! What an opportunity!

Great episode!! Really enjoyed it. I love tech stuff. Never thought about it but I was surprised to hear Don talk about chasing the club heads and golf balls to come up with new products. Makes perfect sense once you consider it!!

Very much enjoyed it and am glad I waited to watch in on the big screen. A lot of details pop.

I know Don explained the flags that are used, but would be interested in a little more detail there, which I'm guessing will happen next episode with materials. That last answers were very thorough and really opened up my mind as to how much thought & engineering goes into the design process. The differences between the red & black are so small but them having the intended effect of allowing pro golfers to facilitate more of a draw was real interesting.

Look forward to more of these. Very well done piece

That was really good! I'm always shocked by the paint process no matter how many times I see it. I also feel just a little more educated after any content involving DB, can't wait for the next episode!

Awesome video!! Their process was really interesting to watch!

"Do not tweet Don Brown asking for free shafts" *sadly deletes tweet*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has me day dreaming about what a one of a kind shaft design would look like...

Great video. Ponder engaged.

Great episode. I really enjoyed all the quick technical tidbits. The flags being cut at different angles and how it affects torque and ball flight is very interesting. I'd love to get a hands on thorough education at the THCE.

Go Red Sox!!!

Great video. Brings back alot of great memories from last year's THCE.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Can't stress how cool it is to see all of the inner workings in person. Great way to kick off this new series.

Great video! I didn't realize the steps needed to create a shaft. Can't wait for the second video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Fantastic. I feel like when it's all said and done, I may actually have some understanding of golf shafts.

And yea, I really figured paint was sprayed on (or stamped on), but I guess that makes sense from an efficiency point of view.

~Rock

Loved the video. Somw great info on golf shaft. Can't believe how many shafts are in Don's office, that is crazy.

Loved the video. Somw great info on golf shaft. Can't believe how many shafts are in Don's office, that is crazy.

Crazy part is that is cleaner than it usually is.

I had issues with the full screen, said I needed to update flash player, which it was already. No problem, went to youtube direct and got it full screen. Great info on shafts especially the different "flags" and the quantity that were used.

This just reaffirms my desire to participate in the Handcrafted Experience! Looking forward to the rest of this series.

I had issues with the full screen, said I needed to update flash player, which it was already. No problem, went to youtube direct and got it full screen. Great info on shafts especially the different "flags" and the quantity that were used.

you have two options
Click the YouTube icon and view it there in full screen
Go to the THP Home Page and view it in full screen right from the THP TV player.

Back