How bad does it get? (Covid-19)

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In your opinion, how far does society break down because of this? Toiletpaper shortage is one thing, awful really, but how much farther does it go? Food shortages? At what point does ther government step in and force rationing? 0% fear of the virus itself, people especially scared people are dangerous.

Panic driven by fear is often far more dangerous than the thing inciting the panic.

The panic is more damaging than the pandemic...

Honestly I’d be more concerned for my health, if I had dirt on Hillary Clinton, than I am about this virus...

I mean, if people will fight in the isle for Toiletpaper... what happens when there's a shortage of food?

there needs to be a balance between reporting information, and reporting common sense. as a journalism major, I get it. I totally understand why you report the stuff that keeps people's attention. but there needs to be rationality and responsibility in reporting, and imho it's just not there right now.

It’s not going to be that bad, socially speaking. At best, things go back to normal within a few months. At worst, people begin to adjust to the new normal. We are a long way away from food rationing, especially in an election cycle.

Economically, it is a bit more complex. There is going to be more of a supply side issue in short term (<12 months) which historically are easier to rebound from than demand side (see housing triggered recession of 2009). The question, to me, is how long it takes to get the velocity of money back to where it was just a month ago with record highs in the market, low interest rates and high spending. If anything, the long term of this may have cooled the market a bit, which may not be an terrible thing long term, especially if you are a fan of reducing payroll taxes.

My father in law told my wife to expect 2-3 months from what he has seen in the medical field. Not sure how much to believe it, but definitely something to keep in mind. Sam's club here had to start limiting big bags of beans & rice to 1 bag of each.

My concern isn’t the virus it’s people. People are stupid and when these things are happening people do stupid ****. Proof is the whole toilet paper thing, but where does it stop?

Maybe this is my overreaction...I’m not a gun guy but I’m wondering if I need to to consider going and getting one for the house just for protection because people are stupid. People are going to lose jobs because of this, people aren’t going to be able to pay their bills because of this and that is scary

My concern isn’t the virus it’s people. People are stupid and when these things are happening people do stupid ****. Proof is the whole toilet paper thing, but where does it stop?

Maybe this is my overreaction...I’m not a gun guy but I’m wondering if I need to to consider going and getting one for the house just for protection because people are stupid. People are going to lose jobs because of this, people aren’t going to be able to pay their bills because of this and that is scary
Was taking to another person and think if people stay calm all is well...but I know better than. That...

Stay out of my way and right to life. Not going out of my way looking for any commotion so please don't come into my lane.

Make sure you think about the ramifications of having a gun

On a conservative radio program today I heard that their staff checked and as of 8 am eastern time today, 39 Americans have died from this virus. 26 of those were from the senior assisted living center in Washington state. 13 other Americans died. 39 total. Wonder how many Americans have died since the 1st of March from the flu?

Come on folks, get it together. As always, the action of a few cause all others to suffer. Players now has cancelled the tournament. Next tournament to be played is the Masters.

2 to 3 weeks and everybody will see the wool has been pulled over our eyes. Hopefully it will subside by then.

cancel large gatherings OK

cancel sports games OK

cancel travel OK

cancel school nooooooo

I think cooler heads will prevail once the initial panic calms down.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

2 to 3 weeks and everybody will see the wool has been pulled over our eyes. Hopefully it will subside by then.
But...what if we’re actually under reacting? I’m not saying we for sure are, and hope you and everyone on that side of the fence are correct, but the fact is you just don’t know. From people who do this for a living, not the news, they are saying this is just the start. I’d rather err on the side of caution than act like nothing is happening completely. There are a ton of at risk people in this country health wise, with obesity and history of smoking being some of the more prevalent ones that this illness seems to target.

I think the things written about in the OP and others like them are revealing the current state of our culture more than causing the culture to change.

Last edited:
Honestly I’d be more concerned for my health, if I had dirt on Hillary Clinton, than I am about this virus...
Hillary gets a bad rap ... watch out for Chelsie.

I mean, if people will fight in the isle for Toiletpaper... what happens when there's a shortage of food?
Toilet paper, just get a bidet installed and use a hand towel to dry off!

Read that this was predicted to happen this year , the author wrote the article in 2008. And if it is true this should last a few months.

Read that this was predicted to happen this year , the author wrote the article in 2008. And if it is true this should last a few months.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

As a lot of people here have said, my fear doesn't come so much from the virus itself but more about people's reaction to it. People are desperately unpredictable, especially when scared and it can lead them to do irrational things. The media, and especially social media, are perpetuating the hysteria, column inches are their livelihood.

Having said that, I do think that the situation is serious, very serious and needs to be managed correctly. There is going to be a lot more disruption to come over the following weeks, and I think things will get so much worse before they get any better.

there needs to be a balance between reporting information, and reporting common sense. as a journalism major, I get it. I totally understand why you report the stuff that keeps people's attention. but there needs to be rationality and responsibility in reporting, and imho it's just not there right now.
Journalists, news, etc have been a joke for years now. It is all about ratings for them and getting people to watch. You can’t believe 90% of what you hear on the news now because they take the 10% truth and wrap it in their own personal bias, beliefs, and propaganda that they think will get more viewers.

I’m guessing this will be the new normal during flu season.

Back