How brand-agnostic are you?

Hecaviator

Reaction score
Handicap
What is the mix in your bag? Strictly one brand of clubs through the entire bag? One brand of irons, but different driver? Metal wood(s) different than driver or irons. How many "specialty" clubs like wedges and/or hybrids? Blended irons - different models from the same manufacturer? How did you arrive at your set?

Until a year ago I always had a mix.

Since I asked the questions for this thread, I'll go first. I'm fairly brand-agnostic. Cobra driver. TaylorMade 3 metal. Titleist TS3 21 degree hybrid. Mizuno JPX-919 Hot Metal 5 through Gap Wedge. Vokey 50 and 56 degree wedges. Ping putter. How did I get to this point? Lots of clubs have gone through the bag. I kept the ones that seemed to work, and moved on from those that didn't. Once in a while I'll toss in one or two older clubs back in the bag just to see if they are better than those currently in play. For example, I have an old TaylorMade Supersteel 5 wood (metal) with the graphite bubble shaft. Probably 20 years old, but I have always hit it pretty well. If a distance gap develops between the longest iron and the 3 metal, the Supersteel goes back in the bag. The TS3 hybrid is serving that distance role currently, but it is very low flighted and rolls forever whereas the old 5 wood flies very high and lands soft. When summer comes around, I'll be torn between going for the soft landing 5 wood or the hybrid which is a great "stinger" club off the tee.

Up until a week ago it was all one brand (Taylormade) but that was because I bought off the shelf / 2nd hand stuff and just put it in my bag. Last weekend I got fit and I have a Mizuno Driver and Irons, plus Taylormade hybrid, along with some Vokey Wedges. I didn't care what brand I came away with, I had actually put down four different ones I wanted to try at the fitting, ended up with brands but not the models as I didn't hit them as well.

Driver: Ping
4W: Callaway
Hybrid: Wilson Staff
Irons: Taylormade
GW: Fourteen
SW: Ping
LW: Callaway
Putter: Scotty

So 6 different brands for me. As you can tell, I'm not loyal to any manufacturer and will play with what works.

Prefer nicer looking gear like most, but I've played some pretty darn ugly clubs because they worked.

What happened a year ago? And what are you now gaming?
A couple of threads to check out

Tequila4kapp got to have a little December adventure with 12 THPers and the Callaway marketing team... he was the Captain of our 2018 Grandaddy Team.

From profile
Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
#100Birdies10kLaughs
Team THP:
PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my :ogio: Shadow Fuse or :ogio: Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
Driver: :callaway: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
FW: :callaway: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
Hybrids: :callaway: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
Irons: :callaway: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
Wedges: :callaway: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
Putter: :callaway: Toulon Memphis Stroke Lab
Ball: :callaway: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and :callaway: ERC

Driver: TaylorMade
3W: Callaway
5W: PING
U-Iron: TaylorMade
Irons: Cobra
GW: Cleveland
SW: Cleveland
LW: Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey
Ball: Titleist or TaylorMade

I do a lot of my own comparative testing and also use a local Trackman fitter to come up with this mish-mash. I know why I'm gaming each item; the pros/cons/trade-offs etc... I enjoy tinkering and testing. Got back into golf 6 years ago and here's how my bag has evolved over those 6 years and where it's headed in near future:

Driver: Cobra>TaylorMade>TaylorMade (going into 3rd season with this club likely to be replaced in 2020)
3W: Callaway>Callaway>Callaway>Callaway (going into 4th season with this club will be replaced in 2020)
5W: NA>PING (learned I was 'a 5W guy' from Trackman fitter last summer and to quit quest for a hybrid that worked; this club is safe)
Hybrids: Cobra>Cobra>Mizuno>Callaway>Cobra>TaylorMade>Titleist>PING (ouch I may never try another)
U-Iron: NA>TaylorMade (gamed this a little over a year; found it due to hybrid failures; this club is 100% safe)
Irons: TaylorMade>Cobra (going into 5th season with these irons, not really serious about replacing them but who knows?)
GW: set TaylorMade>set Cobra>Cleveland (starting 3rd season; all wedges 2B considered for replacement per fitting lesson with my coach in near future; he's in James Ridyard's Wedge seminar at PGA Show next week and will use Ridyard's expertise to up my wedge game and wedge choices; I'm so looking forward to this)
SW: TaylorMade>Callaway>Cleveland (same duration and prognosis as 'GW')
LW: TaylorMade>Cleveland (same duration and prognosis as 'GW')
Putter: PING>Odyssey (going into 3rd season; learned from Trackman fitter that the PING I gamed for four awful putting seasons fit me horribly; putter 100% safe)
Ball: Srixon>Bridgestone>Callaway>Callaway>Callaway>Titleist/TaylorMade? (gamed TaylorMade 2 seasons, Titleist a recent gift that's likely to win ball competition)

Last edited:
I'm tough on the wallet and spend too much time on ebay... no brand loyalty but do favor Callaway, Ping and Titleist

current bag -
Titleist 917 D2 driver (that trades time with a Ping G)
Callaway Epic 3,4,5 hybrid(s)
Ping G irons
Tour Edge CBProS 50*
Taylormade Xft 56* (soon to be replaced by Mizuno S18 56*)
Callaway 2019 PM Grind 58*
Taylormade Ghost Manta Putter

Club choice has been pretty organic, won it, got a good deal on it or just thought it looked good and wanted to try it... all in all if it doesn't feel good or perform well it gets sold, traded or given away to make way for next weeks line up.

I used to be pretty brand agnostic, and I still like stuff from different brands, but Callaway will pretty much always get first crack at any club in my bag. Except the putter. That’s always going to be Odyssey I think, I’ve strayed a few times always with terrible results.

I’ve got 4 brands in my bag...

TaylorMade driver, hybrid and wedges
Cobra fairway woods
Nike irons
Scotty Cameron putter

I went from completely Callaway with an Odyssey putter a year ago to six different brands.

Driver - Cobra
3w- TEE
Hybrids - Taylormade
Irons - Ping
Wedges - Cleveland
Putter - Evnroll / PXG

Currently have 5 brands in the bag, and that’s pretty common for me. Definitively brand agnostic, but certainly have ingrained biases for/against if performance is neutral. For example, although you couldn’t tell based on my current set up, I will lean towards Ping over others.

I can do either, but I am leaning Titleist a lot these days. I think part of a brand is it's style too since they all make great clubs.

I am a firm believer in getting fitted after having done my first one in 2011 and then another recently (after returning to the game) in late 2019. I wouldn't won't to get fitted by someone who had just one brand to deal with so I could truly compare options. For me, it's about what I'm going to play the best and have the most fun with.

I am more concerned with what works for me than I am brand. You can watch youtube reviews till the cows come home and with each review you find one brand shines, then the next review another brand shines, and so on, so what makes any brand better than the other? Another amazing thing is all the data that companies can produce now to "sell" their clubs and it all boils down to how a person can contact the ball and hit it best. That is my 2.5 cents :)

If I was playing this week (just dreaming....brrrr). I have some other irons & wedges that are in my backup bag that I’ll pull out and play.

Driver Callaway
3 wood. Cobra
Hybrid. Cobra
Utility. Srixon
Irons. Callaway
Wedges. Cleveland
Putter. Odyssey

I had typically been a single brand guy, mostly due to having staff agreements with companies. Last year I was able to mix and had four brands in the bag, this year I will probably have three different brands.

I used to be really ocd about my bag matching top to bottom. Now though, I generally just try to match groups but each group can be whatever brand works. Woods, irons, wedges.

In years past I used to be a one brand in the bag, nowadays I'm playing with a mixed bag,

I am all over the board with my equipment.
driver - TMade
3 wood - Tour Edge
Hybrid - Titleist
Irons - Callaway
Wedges - 2 Ping and 1 TMade
Putter - Odyssey
Bag- Ogio
Ball - Titleist

I say play what makes you happy

My bag is a mixed bag of fruit and always has been. Averages about 6 brands.....Callaway/Titleist Driver Exotics 3w Two Titleist hybrids Mizuno irons Ping SW some crazy cb2 LW and Scottie putter

I had Titleist irons, driver and FWs in the bag for over 20 years, with Cleveland wedges and a Callaway putter. I changed driver to Taylormade, then FWs also, I changed driver back to Titleist and then both were changed to Callaway.

I had a fitting last year that resulted in having TM irons in the bag. I went into the fitting with expectation of being brand agnostic. I explained to my fitter that I didn’t want to know what irons or shafts he was giving me.

I bought a Stroke Lab putter last year when Odyssey released them. Then, I was selected for a THP event with Odyssey. I know game an Odyssey Toulon.

I was selected for another THP event - the Graphite Challenge - and received a set of Hogan irons that are now in the bag, with some badass, very limited-edition shafts.

I have a complete mix. Cobra driver, TEE 3W, Srixon irons, Cleveland wedges, taylormade wedge, Ben Hogan putter.

Back