How close do you think you stick your approach shots on average?

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
For the first time, I’ve been religiously marking pin locations worn Arccos. One thing that became very apparent is that I am a lot further from the pin than I ever thought. The majority of my approach shots are still outside of 25 feet. 25’ doesn’t look as far as it actually is and when looking at tour statistics, the pros are barely over 5% over 25’. So, it’s no wonder my putting sucks. It’s not the putting, it’s the approach shots. I need to get closer to the hole 😃😃

Has anyone else had this realization? How far do you think you are from the pin on your approach shots?

If I hit greens in regulation i have long putts As well.

I would say 25’ sounds about right for an average

Arccos brought this into focus for me as well.... My proximity average on GIRs was 26.7' and made it very clear that if I don't improve approach shots I need to improve lag putting.... :oops:

Not

Close

Enough

Even arccos agrees with me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strokes Gained really does open your eyes. My short game sucks.

Dave

per arccos
5i 29.9’
6i 37.9’
7i 30.8’
8i 33.9’
9i 25.8’
pw 24.4’
aw 29.5’
sw 28.3’
lw 28.1’

lots of room for improvement, but i can 2p without much stress from most of those distances

I have to wonder when you hit it pin high (which we all do more than we probably realize) but alignment has given us a bigger miss.

I know I’m horrible for thinking that’s the line and instead of stepping back go with it then wonder why it’s so far from the hole but the right distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shortside myself more often that sticking it close. Focusing more on middle of the green garages rather than front middle back pins these days.

Mm, I don't have proximity based on GIR. I have them for each club from various lies. I know my proximities are pretty good though. I have each shot from the rounds... this is going to take a few minutes.

Over my last 15 rounds, handicap index around 16...

From 75-100 yards I hit the green 70% of the time and average 46 feet from the hole.
From 100-125 yards I hit the green 35% of the time and average 62 feet from the hole.
From 125-150 yards I hit the green 30% of the time and average 59 feet from the hole.
From 150-175 yards I hit the green 19% of the time and average 96 feet from the hole.
From 175-200 yards I hit the green 11% of the time and average 185 feet (62 yards!) from the hole.

Outside of 200 I almost never hit the green which isn't surprising since I only average about 210 off the tee with my driver.

I don't track proximity specifically on greens in regulation.

Does arccos use all GIR strokes, or all 'approach shots'?. Like, does it count the 3w 2nd shot from 255 that ends up 50' out in the green on a par 5, or omit that, or count your lag putt, or just your pitch from the fringe (similar situation) that goes to 2', or omit that too ?

My GIR proximity is 25.9’ and is clearly why I don’t make many birdies. I don’t know that I have done a great job of marking the flags in Arccos. I probably should do that. @OldandStiff This is what my screen looks like:E08C6E28-D204-43FB-AE8D-070FC81864CE.jpeg

I don't think that is too surprising. The leader on Tour averages 31'-6"... I dont keep track of my approach distances, but I am sure it is way worse than that.

Normally, if my proximity to the hole is greater than 25', my next shot is a chip. I play on pretty small greens usually only have maybe one putt per round from at least 25'. Obviously my GIR would be better on larger greens but, since I rarely have them, I struggle with long putts.

My GIR proximity is 25.9’ and is clearly why I don’t make many birdies. I don’t know that I have done a great job of marking the flags in Arccos. I probably should do that. @OldandStiff This is what my screen looks like:View attachment 8956637
That answers my question. Average distance from pin on a GIR. Thanks!

How close do i stick my approach shots on average? My avg would be a missed green since i avg only 6/7 GIR per round.

I don't know how close I thought I would be on that, honestly. I mostly pay attention to my inside 15' %, because that's a reasonably makeable putt, and that's one of the stats my app tracks. My average distance from the pin on a GIR is very good though. Not surprising since my approach game is my strength. And it's why I tell a lot of people I play with I'm not a better putter than they are. It's just hard to make many past a certain distance.

That's interesting how arccos keeps that stat, and how they separate 'on all approaches'. I'm always curious how different systems track, gather, and present their data.

Last edited:
My average distance is roughly equal to the radius of the green plus 6 feet. I'm at 13% GIR over the past year. Decent chipping and putting is the only thing keeping me from being a total train wreck out there.

20-30’ on average. I’m a par machine these days.

Depends on how I look at it.

I'm going with 10' feet, or less.

This <10' number is very misleading, because most of my approach shots are pitches, and chips. They should have been my first putt.

I suppose if I were to go by the book, using missed gir, my approaches could be as much as 20 yards +/-.

Probably in the 45-50 foot range. I think the pros average 30 feet and no way I’m close to them

I don't hit a lot of GIRs (averaging 31% over my last 20 rounds according to GHIN stats), so a lot of my approach shots are from close range after missing the greens. On the ones that do hit GIRs, I don't have any stats but I'm sure my average is outside 25 feet. I aim for the fattest part of the green, regardless of where the pin is positioned. I don't have good enough accuracy to hunt pins, my only goal is to have a putter in my hand for the next stroke.

per arccos
5i 29.9’
6i 37.9’
7i 30.8’
8i 33.9’
9i 25.8’
pw 24.4’
aw 29.5’
sw 28.3’
lw 28.1’

lots of room for improvement, but i can 2p without much stress from most of those distances
Interesting.
Is it working right? Pretty close numbers for every club.
6 iron: is there something off with its specs? 38 ft vs about 27 avg for the others. Kinda stood out. (y)

Before I even read the OP, but saw the thread title, wubears71 took the words right out of my mouth. I'm pretty deadly inside of 100 yards, but at my age (and from the tips) I'm typically looking between 150-220 yards for the approach on those long par 4s, and well that's usually the range of the tee shots on par 3s. So more often than not those longer approach shots lead to a longer first putt or a chip from around the green.

Hitting the green is a win for me on a GIR... This would be something is be interested in tracking. I'm sure my own - 60* are pretty accurate outside of those it's a less than stellar performance.

Back