How Cold is to Cold?

23 deg is about the temperature my grips get too hard to hold onto so that is around my quitting point. 30 deg does not bother me.

Typically, 40 degrees would be my limit but if there is no wind/breeze I might consider playing if the temp got down to 35.

38 if no wind.

If wind, 40. Any day above 40 I make my HS teams practice.

I played a round last winter when it was 19* on the first tee and didn’t get above 30*. I’m surprised they let us on. I don’t think I’d go much lower than that
Bill is my hero, anything below 50* is uncomfortable for me and I have no desire. I about froze my ass off in Bardstown. I don't remember what the temp was, but I was teeth chattering cold. If I hadn't driven 2 hours to meet @LLIB, @KY Golfer and @gmiller598 i would have went home. :D

I don't care how cold it is as long as it's not windy. It's the wind that just chills you to the bone.

Bill is my hero, anything below 50* is uncomfortable for me and I have no desire. I about froze my ass off in Bardstown. I don't remember what the temp was, but I was teeth chattering cold. If I hadn't driven 2 hours to meet @LLIB, @KY Golfer and @gmiller598 i would have went home. :D

It was in the low 40’s. That’s not cold :LOL:

It's been regularly -2c over the past week of so, wont stop me playing, infact my course has been quite busy over this cold period

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

50 or above only. The ol body is getting older and doesn't do well in cooler temps.

Last couple of days were ~45 F but no sun and damp with a breeze. I opted not go play the 4-5 open holes. Today might get up to 50F and if I see a window in the work grind I might jump out to play. Funny but come spring after winter’s thrashing my cold threshold will be lower and those overcast 40-45 days will be golf days and might just involve shorts. :cool:

I can go out in just about anything with no wind. Wind bothers me below 30*. Walking is also huge as it heats up the inside of the layers.

If its not wet and there is no wind, I will do 40 but honestly I have hard time finding anyone to play with in that temp so its more likely not happening anyways.

50° is about my threshold, but will go to 45° if there's no wind. Even then it's still bloody cold for this Aussie.

I played a round last winter when it was 19* on the first tee and didn’t get above 30*. I’m surprised they let us on. I don’t think I’d go much lower than that

Now that's cold for golf. I think my old hands would shatter at 19F. I also imagine holding a green was an interesting experience. :)

Now that's cold for golf. I think my old hands would shatter at 19F. I also imagine holding a green was an interesting experience. :)

Holding greens wasn’t really a problem. It had been warm and then got really cold the night before the round. Everything was soft so it was actually pretty easy to keep a shot on.

I was imagining frozen greens landing like hitting a cart path. :oops:

i’ve never run into greens like that but one of the courses I used to play had a pond that would stay frozen all winter in front of the green on a par five. We used to see who could skip a ball across and keep it on the green

When I get out during the winter and play Montaup with ArtM we routinely see balls hit the green and bounce over the flag stick. Good times!

it depends on wind and sun. I have no issue at 40 if its not windy and certainly if its also sunny. Change that to windy (even if sunny) and it becomes too unpleasant.

I took the stance abut 5 years ago that not only does my swing and body have no idea how to play under 40 degrees but it also not good for either. It’s one thing to stay loose and get some swings in at the range. It’s a whole other thing to go play with multiple layers more than you would ever need. You get tight. The clospthes are tight. Your swing is constricted. Your muscles are tight. It’s just not good for the overall health of your game. There is literally zero feel. So I guess my answer is that there’s zero chance I play under 40 degrees and that’s if it’s not windy. Throw in the wind and 40-45 is miserable.

Snow usually kills the season before the cold temps, but yeah, the combination of windy and very cold is no fun.

I'll play in the mid 30's if the course lets me.

WI guy here, so if I want to play into November, I am usually playing in the mid-30s. If it's not too windy, those temps can feel just fine, especially with a warm cocktail or two. The wind, though, does get me. Next year, I plan to buy one of those cart covers and a portable heater.

Have played multiple times with temps in high 20F temperatures but no wind. A strong north wind is a deal breaker. With no wind and dressing with some of the new heat gear as well as walking, we have no issues playing with temps in the 30’s. Typically play mid day and courses dead so rounds are quick and sleep well that evening.

Headed out today for last round at my course as they close on Friday. Temps at tee time will be 41 degrees...going to be chilly.

Headed out today for last round at my course as they close on Friday. Temps at tee time will be 41 degrees...going to be chilly.

41 the nut I play with is in shorts. :) We play all winter if someplace is open.

41 the nut I play with is in shorts. :) We play all winter if someplace is open.
I’m not sure I could do shorts in 41 unless I was walking. I’ll continue to play as long as there isn’t snow in the fairways.

Back