How Cold is to Cold?

I agree with a lot of other posts that wind is the real factor in lower temps. In my younger days I often played when temps were in the thirties but I think forty is my limit now.

In the past I have gone out when the ponds and one lake was frozen and you could not hit the green you had to lay up and hope the ball ran onto the green. Usually between 30 and 35*. Today I would not go out in that weather, but if it is 40* when we leave the house we will play. The advantages are good since most people won't play in cold weather so we can play 18 in less the 2 hr 45 minutes. Usually have heater in the cart and dress in layers. Winter golf gloves and a supply of coffee to ward off the cold temps.

I prefer to keep the temp above 50 when golfing. Depending on the situation I would still play if it's under 50, but it would depend a lot on the location, who I am playing with, reason for playing and time of year.

Probably depends on the wind chill. I'd rather play in a calm 35 than a windy 45 but none of those sound ideal.

If I play when the temps are on the border the question for me is the wind blowing or is it calm. 35° and breezy is miserable to play in.
So I'm looking for no wind and sunny. And I'm walking!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

As a resident of Phoenix, I am legally obligated to say if it's 70...it's COLD! It's looking like 49F for my 8am tee time Saturday. I'm not sure I will survive.

As an aside, it's also not HOT until it's over 105.

It is not a good idea to leave your equipment in the car or unheated garage in cold weather, but I never had any problem with equipment playing in cold weather. I played last week and the wind chills were in the low 20s.

So the title says it all, how cold is to cold to play golf. Could cold weather under 40’s potentially damage your equipment? Is the driver more susceptible to damage over irons?
I personally will play if temps are above freezing...
So what are your thoughts?
The guys I golf with try to get at least one round in each month during the winter. We have played in snow and ice at times which, looking back now, was rather crazy. I have never damaged a club in the cold weather but that does not mean I didn't worry about it. At one point I had two sets of clubs. One for regular season golf and one for cold season golf just in case. Not sure this helps but keep in mind I always have to club up due to the cold and the ball not going as far.

I’m in the South - and usually below 50* feels too cold. But, there are always exceptions.....
and one of those is “how badly do I really want to play?” That can move the needle. Plus.....there is what is called “real feel.” Some times, given humidity factors, it can “feel” warmer or colder than what the thermometer shows.

As so many have mentioned, it all depends on the elements. I can play around 32-40 if there’s no wind. But you get wind or rain involved, I’m hard pressed to step foot out in anything below 50.

although I trooped through 36 holes last Thursday with it being misty/drizzle, with 10-15 mph winds and a high of 45 I think.
Not suuuuuuper fun, but needed a day like that for my mental status haha

Today was cold with the fog and dew...I’m still trying to defrost. We were the only ones on the course.

I’ll play whenever the course is open, provided the sun is shining and the little to no wind when temps are below 40°f. However, I do prefer 50°+.

As far as equipment is concerned, I’m sure it will be able to take much more cold than you can. Steel and graphite are pretty tough stuff and work well over a very large range of temperatures. The ball would be a bigger concern, but if kept in warm, >32°, between rounds and alternated each hole with another or two kept in a pocket, should not be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoping to play all 12 months this year. Just need a decent day in December and it will be done for maybe the first time ever.

I grew up in Maryland so, I if I wanted to play year round it was play from the upper 20's on up. Not bad at those temps as long as there was no wind. Any wind and it would have to be in the 40's or warmer. I live in South Alabama now and I can wait for days in the 50's and 60's during the winter. Golf year round:)

Sunny and low wind, I can do down to low 30's. Cloudy/windy, low to mid 40's.

Mid 40's, I've played in worse, but the older I get the less excited I am about playing in crappy weather just to say I've played, and I prefer to walk in those conditions. I am more inclined to play in cold weather as we approach spring because we're all champing at the bit to get out. In late fall it's kind of like "what are we doing out here when we know it's pretty much over until spring?" I've never seen anyone suffer damage to their clubs, drivers in particular, due to cold temperatures, although I've always wondered about the risk. Drivers are expensive:(

-3 on sat at dundonald links no wind which was a bonus and the sun was out, the greens were like concrete tho and made you really think about your shots, interesting golf to say the least , enjoyed it
59327f415cea3888a904ce3e6e96d89d.jpg
abaaaba653248e89bfd8866bbc0109ff.jpg
e51f019d1c7fe01cf6904f54ba90ba98.jpg
d06bd404fadf1b378ab2b45d51244e7e.jpg
04e4dc0f3538d8faa924a117e501289d.jpg
1925c5109d719041407bb2c8743e97dc.jpg
b8b56074da52898ca2370c6228ccf75d.jpg
fa6fad4af8a6966a1559b3b3e5c8f7ba.jpg
227e28e64a5dd130c3ac4e9464425ff3.jpg
4a6e2fc897d1d30fa968fe9e03e0929c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

I went out Sunday. The temp was between 40 and 42 the entire round. The wind was blowing 15-20 MPH with 30 MPH gusts. It really wasn't that bad. I had a thermal shirt, henley shirt, and a fleece 1/4 zip on my torso. I just had my ABC Pants on with no long underwear and I was wearing a toboggan and sunglasses. I walked and kept plenty warm enough. The hardest thing was wearing sunglasses even though it was overcast. As soon as I took them off the wind hurt my eyes so I just kept them on. The lenses are really light, but I could use some that are even lighter for that type of weather.

If the course lets me on it, it’s warm enough. I’m naturally well insulated. Just like a polar bear. 35* and sunny with no wind and I won’t have a jacket on, just a polo (and pants).

One area course 20 years ago would let you play no matter the conditions. I once (ill advised) took a shot from the middle of a frozen lake and landed flat on my back for my troubles. The ice was thick enough to not plunge me through, which was a good thing. I’ve probably hit hundreds of balls into it, so it was nice when one stayed out. Not so nice to pick myself up off my ass though.

Had to be sunny and at least 43 degrees. No idea why but 43 gives me hope that it will feel warmer after a few holes.

Played in -2°C, about 27-28° F, no drama. However...it was sunny with no wind, which would have changed the equation A LOT, imo.

I have to say I have played in some pretty cold weather. Stuff in the low 20s, where firm fairways, and greens were an obvious understatement.

The only problem I have with cold weather is wind. If it's calm, lower temps are not a big deal. 25*f, sunny, with no wind is playable in my book.

Mid 40’s if the sun is out and little wind is about my limit.

I'm soft. Got to be 50 before I will tee off. My group played this morning at 10 a.m. @ 42 degrees. I passed but will go play 9 mid afternoon today with temps around 55. Like others, I hate playing with too many layers on. Just don't play well.

Back