How Cold is to Cold?

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So the title says it all, how cold is to cold to play golf. Could cold weather under 40’s potentially damage your equipment? Is the driver more susceptible to damage over irons?
I personally will play if temps are above freezing...
So what are your thoughts?

I’m in upstate NY, I generally try to play into November. The courses around here (at least the ones I play) for the most part have closed now.

When I do play when it’s cold, I make sure that I’m walking. You stay warmer walking than you do sitting and riding in a cart.

For me, my biggest concern is keeping my hands warm. For that, I either use Foot Joy Winter Gloves or Hand Warmers and sometimes both.

I played a round last winter when it was 19* on the first tee and didn’t get above 30*. I’m surprised they let us on. I don’t think I’d go much lower than that

Will play at temps down to 50 as long as the sun is shining. Generally do not play well but at least I get exercise from walking the course.

It’s about 35° now and will be 45ish when I head to the course about 10:00-10:15 for an 11:30 tee time. And, very importantly, sunny. Our high is 58. I can do that. Above 50 and sunny, I’m good. Otherwise, I’m toasty by the fire.

Lowest I will go out in play is 50*, plus the sun has to be out. Once the temps are lower than that (like right now) I won't play. I just don't enjoy it when it is cold out.

Last edited:
I won't play if the temp is below 40* and especially if there is wind! Right now it's around 23*. I'm working as the starter for the Crystal Springs course at the Crystal Springs Resort. WE HAVE GOLFERS. One is actually wearing SHORTS!!!!!! It's cart path only, and those greens must be like concrete! I would NEVER go out in this weather, but each to his own!

I can go to low 40's if the sun is out. Anything below that and I'm indoors because I'm such a delicate flower.

Had aFrost delay yesterday am on my 7:15 Tee time. Got out finally at 0845....I will play down into the 30's as long as the wind is not crazy.

great responses so far...

However can cold weather potentially damage your equipment?
I don’t want to be the guy that shatters my new driver. ?

I have never experienced any issues with my golf equipment because of cold weather.

If there's little or no wind I can probably play down to 45* or so. I did play in a charity event a couple weeks ago where it was 27* and drizzling at tee off. That wasn't my favorite round of golf!

Im from Wisconsin, theres no such thing as too cold for me. Ive played when it was in the 30s, Ive ever played in the upper 20s when it was snowing one time. For me, its really more of an issue with the wind than it is the cold. Golf when its in the 30s isnt bad but golf in the 30s when theres a 20 mph wind isnt all that much fun.
As for damaging your clubs, I have heard that its possible to crack your driver if its below freezing. Ive never had it happen to me but Ive heard of it. I suppose the same could go for any fairway wood, hybrid or hollow body iron. ?‍♂️

I think it would take a more extreme temp to damage equipment that what we’re talking about in the thread.

Like many said- if the wind isn’t a killer, upper 30’s and sunshine is fine. Long johns are a must. Except I HATE loose sleeves. I can go down to shirtsleeves in that type of weather with little problems. But I might bring a tighter fitting thermal top if it clouds over.
I’ve started out in that sunny cool weather only to have it cloud up and snow squalls, still didn’t relent on the shirtsleeves out of defiance! Just walked faster.
The only equipment issue I can imagine is if you don’t have headcovers on your carbon fiber/composite crown drivers. They can be brittle, so if you REALLY get under one and top face it, the stress and cold might crack it. Or even dropping it by accident onto a hard surface. Depending on the weave pattern, CF is strong in a particular direction that is designed to do a certain job. Any other impact combined with the cold might be problematic.

Oh, and possibly some of the adhesives and resins in the clubs might contract, so some of the appliqués and hosels might loosen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It’s about 35° now and will be 45ish when I head to the course about 10:00-10:15 for an 11:30 tee time. And, very importantly, sunny. Our high is 58. I can do that. Above 50 and sunny, I’m good. Otherwise, I’m toasty by the fire.
Yeah I’m heading out here in about an hour as well regardless if the course is open or not. Have my push cart ready to roll. Temps are 38 right now.

I think temps would have to be really low to start damaging equipment, lower than you’d play in for sure.

for me, once it hits 40’s these days it starts getting iffy. High 40’s and sun or no wind and it’s a maybe. I’ve played a few times with high 30’s low 40’s and it just isn’t enjoyable

40F; sunny and calm, I’m in. Walking only - carts are terrible in the cold.

We play at my club every New Year’s Day regardless of temperature. Only thing that stops us is snow on the ground. We played 9 holes with the sun shining and the temperature a balmy 8F a couple years back.

Just tell people that you have been working on swing speed and you are smashing it driver faces now :p

I will play at about 35 and above with sun. Never had an issue hurting clubs due to the cold.

I've played in upper 30's and into the 40's recently. Sun was out and wind was tame. It was enjoyable. Having multiple layers of shirts on was a bit restricting but not too much of a hinderance. As far as the equipment... it doesn't care. Just use a bit lower compression ball.

If the course is open, we are playing (.ie no frost on the greens), into the 30's.

We'll play in the mid 20's and up if there's no wind. The wind is the killer. Temps can be tolerated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If it's under 50* I'm out. I was raised in Wyoming so cold really isn't the issue. I just hate all the layers of clothing, If I have to wear more than 3/4 zip, I'll find something else to do. Weather gloves and beanies? Nah. I'm good. I'll wait until the weekend, make a day out of it, and go play in the Valley.

Back