How cold is too cold

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So what is the cut off temperature for you to stop playing or not play? Last year in FL it dipped into the low 30's and we still played. However we had our cart covered and a golf cart heater in the cart. We stepped out to hit and then got back into the heat.

If it's below 40* I'm out.

That being said, I've never had a cart heater, so that may help things out a bit...

I have been playing recently here in Ohio...So much depends on if there is moisture in the air, if the sun is peaking out or cloudy, and mostly the wind.
I have played in the 37-39 range and not bad. Today I was hitting balls at the range in a carport-type enclosure and it was 19*...I called it quits after about 30 balls I couldn't feel my fingertips with winter gloves.

• Admin
Coleman makes these cart heaters and you can get them at most golf stores. They run on mini propane tanks. The ones at Edwin Watts cost like $80 and have a push button starter. We went to Walmart and found ours that is exactly the same for $30 it just does not have the push button starter. They work great.

Completely depends on the wind. Dead calm in the northeast, about 40*.

10-15 mph wind, about 50*.

Heated carts in FL? People down there must have too much time or too much money ... or both. Love the dedication though.

There were Minnesotans who would golf in the snow.

That being said, 50s/high 40s is cold enough for us.

• Admin
Completely depends on the wind. Dead calm in the northeast, about 40*.

10-15 mph wind, about 50*.

Heated carts in FL? People down there must have too much time or too much money ... or both. Love the dedication though.

Or like I mentioned want to play when it is 30 degrees out.

I dont think the weather ever gets cold enough in LA for me to not play, but the wind can get pretty crazy. We get the Santa Ana's that will hit the 50-60 mph and that is too much.

I've played in the 40s, and it is seriously not fun. But I walk if at all possible.

I've played in the mid-20's. I went to the range tonight and hit from the grass tees (no heat obviously) and it was about 19* out. If the wind is still, I can swing those temps.

worst weather i have played in was 25* with a wind chill of 10* due to 20 mph winds. it was also raining ice, not quite hail, for more than half the time. it was a member guest and we didn't want to quit or withdraw. i don't want to do that again any time soon. we didnt have any cart covers or heaters either, not even hand warmers or winter gloves. i don't know how we made it

i would say that i usually don't want to play if it drops into the 20's

When working in Wash State, we played a few times when it was below 30* just to get out and play after raining for slow long. The greens were forzen and you had to use a hammer or ice pick to get your tee in the gound. The really fun part was trying to see how far your ball would run up to the green because you had no chance of staying on the green if you tried to hit it.

I usually like to play when it is above 45 degrees, but have played in colder weather than that plenty of times.

When working in Wash State, we played a few times when it was below 30* just to get out and play after raining for slow long. The greens were forzen and you had to use a hammer or ice pick to get your tee in the gound. The really fun part was trying to see how far your ball would run up to the green because you had no chance of staying on the green if you tried to hit it.

Where in WA did you work?

I got my 9 holes in this morning. 25* with 10-15 MPH wind and it started snowing. I quit putting after the 3rd hole because the greens were covered in snow. Good times.

I played last Feb when it was 17 and lightly snowing. One good thing about snow is it gives a great teach on the green. lol The guy I was playing with seemed to always be about 10 ft out from me on the same line and the ball would leave a perfect track in the light snow cover.

played this afternoon... 23 degrees

I was head professional at Longview Country Club for seven years........

Let me ask this to those of you like DD that are playing in the sub freezing temps as I am so tempted to get out there!
What are you wearing? I have been thinking of getting some Underarmour and see how that goes, but.

today I wore an Under-Armour Cold Weather first layer, then a mock, then my gore-tex jacket with winter-ish Polo Golf slacks (a heavy herringbone blend) and gore-tex pants. top it off with a winter hat and you're golden

DD,
That was for new blades. I would have braved it too....lol

What are you using for gloves, my biggest concern!

DD... I am surprised the balls didnt explode or at least crack on contact if it were that cold.

Like many have said before me... that's why I moved to Florida.

Let me ask this to those of you like DD that are playing in the sub freezing temps as I am so tempted to get out there!
What are you wearing? I have been thinking of getting some Underarmour and see how that goes, but.

Hot Chillys word great, too. Like you, it's the gloves that always have me stumped.

It's not so much about the temperature as it is about the wet and wind. If it's high 30's but sunny and calm, I'll play. If it's 45 and windy and raining, I'll go to the range (covered stalls with heaters :)).

Back