How cold is too cold

50 and light wind is what I condiser my minimum. Living in the chicagoland area we have to take what we get, so I've golfed in much cooler & windier weather, but I don't golf well in it.

Gone out when it is pretty low, just depends on the real feel and wind.

LtEvO TaPpEd

Living in New England I can play in the 40's without any issues. If there is no wind I can handle it in the 30's

It's gotta be 50 for me to get back out there. 40 to hit the range

30s with no wind whatsoever is my low limit. I'll golf in the 40s, and even with a little breeze. But if the wind is constant and strong, it has to be in the 50s and up.

If the projected high temp for the day is 40 or more I am going...even if it's only 35 when I start...but if wind chill is down in the 20s I'm staying home...and on the other end of the spectrum, 107 plus Missouri humidity sucks, but not enough to keep me from playing.

I will go in the 40's. Heck I've done 30's if Jarret was in town. I do want it to be in the 50's at the very least though. Below 50 and the swing is affected by the layers. I like to golf in overwhelming heat!

I am with you Ken on the heat!!! I prefer to not golf if it is below 50° but if it is sunny and not a lot of wind I might be able to do 40° weather. Perfect golf weather for me is 70-80's with a slight wind.

If I'm playing in a tournament or something more than just 'going out to play', I'll go down into the upper 30's as long as the wind isn't too bad or there is no rain. I once played in a scramble when it was low 40's and a steady soft rain. That was miserable, but we actually played well and won so it was worth it. If I have to pay and I'm going out with the fellas, it needs to be 50+ at least, and again, that depends on precipitation and wind. 54 and sunny with no wind is much better than 65 and windy with a little rain.

The big key for me is the non tournament or event paying money part of it. I won't go to the local course and pay money when I haven't played in 3 months just because the weather is okay for a day. Seems pointless to me to not play for a couple of months, pay money, dust everything off, be miserable and suck, then put it all away for another several weeks. If I don't have to pay, I'll go out in less than desirable conditions, but I won't spend my own money.

As long as the course provides water on the course, I'll go out in any heat.

As long as the wind chill isn't stupid low, it doesn't matter. If it's in the 30s, I will wear 2 gloves and a hat that covers my ears and go for it. Walking only though. I will not ride in a cart when it's in the 40s. I get too cold and stiff. Walking keeps me warm and keeps things reasonable as long as I am wearing 2 gloves and my ears are covered.

We got heaters in our carts. Only to cold when the snow is to deep.

So cold that you could hit your hand on a metal pole and it falls off

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Cold enough so your golf ball freezes and snaps the head off of your driver. This happened to me last year ever since when it gets around 32 I start to get a little nervous and that was with changing my ball after every hole. Otherwise the cold doesn't bother me that much.

Today was the coldest day I have ever played in a golf tournament in my life. It was in the low 40s ,all day with wind gusts up to 30 mph. The guy I was riding with did have a cart cover and heater but I still felt like a block of ice. I left right after the round was over and I'm pretty sure we placed at eight under par. :bulgy-eyes:Everybody hit tee shots, you took the best one and then played the rest of the hole on your own ball. Weird format but fun, except for the weather :beat-up:

Wind chill has to be above freezing. I'm game in virtually all conditions otherwise except torrential rain and thunderstorms.

Apparently not very low for me anymore. It got down in to the low 50s upper 40s down here yesterday and I was miserable. Played terribly.

I practiced today when it was snowing. Good thing it was in a heated bay.

15 degrees or if there is a dusting of snow. Other than that, bring it on

Do you have a certain temperature that it has to be to go golfing?

For me it is 60 degrees. I've tried going when it was colder, but I played pretty bad. From now on it has to be warm enough that I'm not constantly thinking about how cold I am.

I'm with you! I'm a warm weather player.

I'm not really in a place where that matters. Heres how it works for me. Course opens for spring you play then you stop when they close for winter.

I think it needs to be 40 or more by tee off and getting warmer, with the sun out.

Also, it's almost always windy here in the colder months, so that ruins many many days as well.

I think it needs to be 40 or more by tee off and getting warmer, with the sun out.

Also, it's almost always windy here in the colder months, so that ruins many many days as well.

Cold and windy is the worst throw in some rain and you might end up solo.

Cold and windy is the worst throw in some rain and you might end up solo.

Absolutely.. Having the sun at 40* is perfect (or as good as it can be). Take that away and add some elements like wind or rain? Yeah, pass.

Here in northwest N.J. if the temp drops below 45, I'm heading inside. When I was a young lad I'd play with snow on the ground but not now.

doc

Back in my softball days, manufacturers said their bats would dent if it was below 35º, so we would use old crappy bats when it was cold. I've always wondered if it was ever too cold for today's drivers; I'd think they have thinner faces than those bats we had and golf balls are certainly harder and colder than softballs. Does anyone know?

To answer your question, I will play anytime it is over 40º and over 34º if there is little wind.

Galaxy S3ing and Tapatalk 2ing

Back