How Critical Is Distance Measuring?

I never used to have any kind of measuring device at all. I'd just look for the 200 and 150 poles and make a rough guess from there. Problem came on courses that didn't have them, because my distance perception is so terrible I couldn't tell you if something was 120 yards or 180. Complete chaos would ensue! I got given a watch and it was like night and day, dropped half a dozen shots overnight and actually managed to stand over a ball with confidence that I was holding the right club. I'm completely lost without it now, on the occasions that I've forgotten it I have a couple of apps on the phone that do a reasonable job.

My father, now in his mid 70s, always mocked me for it because....well technology! But he found himself more and more asking me for a distance until I caved in and bought him a watch. Now he can't be without his either.

I have no issues with folks shooting the pin or hazard on every shot.

I think the real question is when does it become too much? Like you shot the flag & get a number. Take a practice swing, shoot the flag again then proceed to go grab another club. ?

I definitely like having the distances, but have been using phone app and watch until a few weeks ago (new range finder). I feel much more confident over the ball and then that is helping me work on actual distance control, rather than just on feel - which I also feel is important. Working through some new wedges and irons, so I'm really working on figuring out distances I can play each iron. However, the feeling of "this is between clubs" or "how much wind should I play" also then factors in to my mental anguish over the ball.

I grew up on sand greens and NO markers, no 150, 200, etc. I relied on my lousy feel and eyesight. I use a range finder now, but I don't have a 147 club. I have a club that goes either 135 or 155! So I still rely on the course markings of 150, etc. Then, I use my range finder to see how far off I hit my shot!!!

I admit that when I don't have my laser with me or it the battery dies, I feel....lost.
So much so that I am considering buying a second laser to keep in the bag as a backup.

Something about knowing exact yardage to the pin gives me huge confidence.
This is something I discovered within 3 rounds of using a rangefinder for the first time this fall.

I don't really need an exact number because I'm not precise enough, but I can't judge distance by sight for nothing. It's reassuring to know you have the right club in hand.

I guess as you play more you want to dial in your distance. If its early in the golf season and my swing is still not dialed in I get the yardage from a sprinkler head and take a swing.

I use the Golfshot app on my phone for the club recommendation feature. Unless a playing partner asks I usually don't even look at the distance, just the club recommended. Depending on how I feel at that time I may go with what is recommended or go up or down a club. It would feel weird without it.

Something about knowing exact yardage to the pin gives me huge confidence.

I’m comfortable walking off yardages though.
Do you notice a difference in performance when you step off distances?

Mine has me spoiled and while I hate when I don't have some type of measuring device, I can go with out it. It really effects me more on the shorter yardages where I have to judge how much to take off a wedge.

It can be huge, especially if you are consistent with your distances to begin with. Especially when courses don't set up the 150 markers correctly. I can do fine though if the course has good markers if I don't have my rangefinder.

I have tried various phone apps. The golf logix app is the best. I don't like using my phone though as these apps drain the battery. I have never owned any other form of range finder or GPS. But, I am super happy when I play with someone that has one. It is super helpful.

I make a bigger deal of it than it is I am sure. I used to be fine with 100 and 150 markers. I am sure I could play that way just fine. I may give it a go for a month and find out.

57 years of walking off the distance from the sprinkler head to my ball will come to an end this year as I finally bought a rangefinder. I will let you know how it changes my game.

On a course without any forced carries, I probably could get by on sprinkler head markings, or even the red/white/blue markers.

When faced with a forced carry, not having a layup/carry distance is when the tech comes in handy.

I'm not good at judging yardages. I have a buddy who's probably a 36 cap, but inside of 180 yards, he'll eyeball it to within 5 yards.

I play my home course so much that I don't really need a gps or rangefinder. If not at my course then I like to have a front/middle/back number.

I got along pretty well with one for years and years, I have one now that intermittent, so I guess I'm a basic guy in distance measuring devises. If I don't have a devise, that's OK, As long as the course has good distance markers, I'm good with that.

Kind of funny, I played this morning in dense fog for 14 holes and hit more greens than in recent memory.

Pulled a club more than my guess and it worked just about every time. Maybe after seeing my fitting numbers I finally believe what the real numbers are, not the ones my heart wants to believe...

On my home course I would be okay without my GPS watch, I'm pretty good at guesstimating distances. My shots are accurate enough to worry about 5 yards or 10 yards. On a new course it would be a struggle, although I'm getting pretty good at reading a course book.

I use a laser to get distance to the pin. I use my GPS watch to show hazard and green yardage front and back. I can get that done really quickly now. Then I just play distance to avoid yardages to keep me out of trouble.

my in-laws gave me a laser 4 or 5 years ago for christmas. a couple years ago the battery died on the course and i felt like a fish out of water. i played without it the last 2 rounds of 2019 and posted my 2nd and T-3rd lowest scores of the year....:unsure:

maybe 2020 is the year of just firing at the middle of the green.

Do you notice a difference in performance when you step off distances?

Getting on the green, no - proximity to hole is probably different

The few times I've forgotten a GPS I've been completely lost on the course.

This is something I discovered within 3 rounds of using a rangefinder for the first time this fall.

I don't really need an exact number because I'm not precise enough, but I can't judge distance by sight for nothing. It's reassuring to know you have the right club in hand.

Big part of successful golf and scoring is confidence

I could manage the old school method if I could find a yardage marker and trust they were measured to the center of the green.

I'm fine with knowing the center at a bare minimum, but I do value having front/middle/back distances all the time after using a GPS app for a couple of years.

I left my rangefinder at home today. First time in ages I've tried to golf without having either exact yardage to the hole, or exact info to front/mid/back via a GPS unit.

Made me realize two fold;

1- I am seriously invested in distance measuring tools, and
2- My confidence is elevated by having such information

Do you feel the same way, or can you function just the same without confirmed numbers?

Back