How did it start for you?

Greg Kulbick

I don't golf good
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I stumbled upon THP while reading reviews by Hawk and Jman about Taylormade Rocketbladez irons. I was familiar with forums, being a member of several relating to cars and drag racing. Anyone who does a lot of "foruming" knows all those birthday emails remind you exactly how many you don't even go to anymore. A short time later, someone organized a little get together at Waterlefe in Bradenton, FL near Sarasota. My first round was with Trout Bum and Tadashi70 and I think I shot about 115 while they both teased par. I'll never forget that round and how welcoming these talented golfers were of me and how horrible I was. That was such a fun day and was simply the beginning of so many official and unofficial events where I've been able to meet more people like Marc and Freddie. I was lucky to spend my first THP round with what many would call two of the best examples of the best you find here.

How'd you find this place, and if you've been lucky enough to play with THPers, what was your first time like?

it was in 2014, but i honestly don't remember what i would have been researching in 2014. i do know i instantly gravitated toward hawk's reviews.

i had a lot of fun in the swing thread forums. but i also got a little full of what i thought i knew (turns out i didn't know anything). freddie and i had some banter, and it resulted in us playing a round of golf together that was so much fun.

I lurked for a while before joining. Mainly to get a feel for the landscape and how things operated.

I think it was golf ball reviews that initially brought me and I enjoyed the ease of the conversation without some petty territorial ******** responses you might get elsewhere.

I don’t remember who my first round was with, but I remember the Adams event and meeting a lot of people for the first time. I had a blast and it set the foundation for my involvement.

I think it started back in 2014 I had been looking for some Bridgestone J40DPC feedback and came across THP. I lurked around for quite awhile as a visitor and finally joined in 2015. It easily been one of the best things I've ever done. Shortly after I joined I was able to connect with Puttin4bird and got the invite to play with his group soon after I joined and they became my regular playing group after that.

I found it searching for iron reviews.
I have been to one THP event in 2016 and while a small event it was a blast!!! Can't wait until I can sign up for another and play again.

I read the board and reviews here and at a couple of other places. I was amazed that the reviews were not mere repetition of marketing packets from the manufacturers but were actually substantive information that one could really put to use in making a decision on a product. If I remember correctly, I joined to ask for a shoe rec. I asked elsewhere and the posters here were far more helpful on that question and others (some pretty stupid) I've asked. For a forum with as many active posters as this one, I have to commend everyone for the message board hospitality, and the welcoming and helpful attitudes.

I'm stoked to join @cbaker2882, @cpaulsell, @Doubleb21, @fflmaster, @mancest, @mikeg_74, @Misike, @JB, and the Odyssey guys next month. That'll be my first time to play a round with some THPers.

I stumbled upon THP while reading reviews by Hawk and Jman about Taylormade Rocketbladez irons.
RocketBladez...that was my first forum testing ever.

I found THP while trying to find information about the Ping G20 driver. THP was the first response to the Google search.

I don't remember how I stumbled upon this place years ago. I know I made an account but didn't frequent. I was looking for a more laid back place to get my golf fix as the other forum I am a member at had become kind of a hostile environment with bickering back and forth about the simplest subjects. It was a mental drain watching topics devolve into spats all the time. I remembered signing up here so I logged in and just started browsing the forums. Decided to jump in and stick my two cents in wherever applicable, sometimes where it's not.

I forget what I was searching for, but I found the Morgan Cup youtube videos and was instantly hooked.

I remember the reason pretty well. It was October 2010 and I was trying to find some information on TaylorMade Burner HT irons, driver and fairway woods. My internet search had a listing for the Hackers Paradise. I really don't remember if I found the information on the clubs I was looking for (I probably did though), but I do remember liking what I saw that day. There was a topic about something called the Morgan Cup that sounded amazing and that more than had my interest piqued. And the knowledge and friendly feel of the forum made me want to join. My first event I participated in was an outing at Bear's Best in Atlanta in Nov. 2012. I was so darn nervous to tee off in front of all these guys that I just knew were gonna wonder if ever had even played golf before because I was so really bad. Everybody was just really nice and encouraging though. I played with a SeeMorePutterGuy (I think that is his forum name) and a couple other guys that have since moved on (names omitted to protect the innocent - LOL). Over 8 1/2 years later and I am still here. I know that I am not someone that posts a lot, but I always have the forum open on my work pcand on Tapatalk. Maybe I will even hit the 10k posts mark this year. The picture was taken by JB during that outing.
2bd69242568c2a0e72ea9bc29efe92e5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I found the forum back in 2010 looking at club reviews, but honestly wasn't very active, and for a few years hardly even had a chance to play the game let alone read about it. In 2014 /2015 I was getting back into the game, and really enjoying it, and found myself back on the forum. Mostly reading, and almost never posting. Then I saw an unofficial get together at a local course with quite a few new england guys playing in it. I decided to join the group, and see how it was. I was super nervous, but the guys I played with that day really did solidify me as a THPer for as long as I enjoy this game.

I played with @Ddec @OITW and @WickedCoolBeardedMan What an awesome time for 18 holes!!! Not to mention meeting so many other awesome THPers. I was hooked... Now I consider the New England crew to be some of my best friends.

I honestly can't thank those three guys enough, for how welcomed I felt, and for the many invitations to play since. All 3 embody what it means to be a THPer and I hope to pay that awesomeness forward as more New Englanders Join the site!

I found THP by searching for reviews on Ping G400 irons. After looking around a bit i joined and it has been nothing but a pleasure being here. I have never been on such a great forum with fun people and no BS. The information here is awesome and everyone is always willing to help.

My fist round was with PHoffer after talking about different sunglasses and we had a blast. I was lucky enough to be chosen for the 2019 Odyssey Experience and i am looking forward to meeting and playing golf with my teammates!

Being involved here makes me want to play the best golf i can i learn all i can about the different equipment. I have THP open almost all day at work lol since i have three screens!

Found the site in early 2012 searching for info about the Cleveland Classic driver. Made 5 or 6 posts and stupidly forgot all about the forum. Rediscovered it again in the summer of 2013 reseaching SeeMore putters. Had some nice exchanges in the Seemore thread with JMan and Canadan and haven't gone away since. The SeeMore Extravaganza was the first event I got into but the Bridgestone Invitational at Hilton Head in early 2014 turned out to be the first event I attended.

I came upon the forum in 2013 as I was returning to golf after years of playing softball. I was researching equipment.

I think I was checking reviews on the R11 driver. Lurked for while then joined in 2013. Got in the B Stone Championship in Vegas in September 2013 you might say it hooked me because I attended 5 events in 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the forum back in 2010 looking at club reviews, but honestly wasn't very active, and for a few years hardly even had a chance to play the game let alone read about it. In 2014 /2015 I was getting back into the game, and really enjoying it, and found myself back on the forum. Mostly reading, and almost never posting. Then I saw an unofficial get together at a local course with quite a few new england guys playing in it. I decided to join the group, and see how it was. I was super nervous, but the guys I played with that day really did solidify me as a THPer for as long as I enjoy this game.

I played with @Ddec @OITW and @WickedCoolBeardedMan What an awesome time for 18 holes!!! Not to mention meeting so many other awesome THPers. I was hooked... Now I consider the New England crew to be some of my best friends.

I honestly can't thank those three guys enough, for how welcomed I felt, and for the many invitations to play since. All 3 embody what it means to be a THPer and I hope to pay that awesomeness forward as more New Englanders Join the site!

Mr. 73 doesn’t know what nerves are!!!

Fingers crossed for some good news next week

Started out lurking and reading reviews

Progressed to engaging with people in threads and on the forum.

Found the event threads - specifically the Invitationals- decided on a whim to go try and get in to the Lake Charles Invitational

@Mward was my cartner for that first event, met @v.man @MichiganSlice who did sleep in his van! Met @o’carroll as well and a few other great guys - TBT picked me up at the airport and drove me all over Texas and LA that weekend.

It’s those guys and quite a few others that have been the reason for me staying, continuing to go to events and just having a heck of a time here.

Last but certainly not least, JB and GG continue to amaze and build on the sense of community and family and it’s what separates this place from all others - thank you for letting me be a member of the family.

Reviews for TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons. I also happened to show up just as the 2013 Morgan Cup was ramping up into high gear, which made this place seem very much like an awesome place to learn more about golf.

I mentioned the shortest version in my granddaddy entry but I got started when I met Shannon (@southernshred) on our local range. We started talking shop about swings, clubs, what’s in our bags, etc when he brought up going to the granddaddy in December.

To be entirely honest, I didn’t entirely believe him and had to see this (or read) myself. Ha! That basically lead to me to follow his journey through the end. We played and lot together and we “practiced” match play quite a few times as well. We’ve been great friends ever since. And I’ve been ever thankful for him, THP and golf.

I found THP while I was looking for reviews on the Wilson Staff Triton. THP had an event with Wilson and several participants received and were using Tritons. I stuck around and lurked a little bit and signed up. A month later I won a contest and immediately joined the Albatross Club.

The first time I played with any THPers was a practice round for the Illinois/Missouri vs Minnesota/Wisconsin Regional Rivalry. I played with Rambler, Pringles, and 2Bfast.

Found this place as I was re-introducing myself to the gamw after about a five year hiatus. The only other golf forum that I had ever been a part of was Ham and Egg on the old Rivals forums (and concidentally how I crafted my forum name that I've used, literally everywhere since that time). I decided to re-invigorate my interest in the game bu buying anew set of irons. I won an auction on ebay for a full set of Callaway Apex irons (2013 model) brand new for a little over $300.00. I currently had a set of Callaway Fusions in the bag and was perusing a Google search for golf forums to get feedback on the irons I just bought. I checked some of the usual outlets and fund the douchebag level to be out of my comfort zone (i'm sure you can guess what forums those are, for anyone who's shopped around).

THP was the 3rd forum that I had perused and it didn't take me 5 minutes to decide this was the place for me. I made my first post regarding my, yet to arrive, irons because I was concerned that the new irons I bought might be a bit too much of a "players" iron compared to what I was coming from. My concerns were put at ease by several posters and it was actually posted (several times) that my new purchase was actually an upgrade from my current gamers. The attitude and feedback from everyone was exactly what I needed. I didn't even know about the gatherings or contests when I came here. It didn't take me long to sign up for the Albatross Club and it's one of my priorities when re-up time rolls around.

I can't wait, someday, to sit down with Josh and give him my full "testimonial" about what this place has actually meant to me because it's been more than just a forum. A lot more.

I made a purchase at some place called Budget Golf in the summer of 2016. The next spring, I either got an email about The Sweep or saw it advertised on their page. I had visited here a few times but never signed up for the forum. Until then.

The knowledge on display here is unreal, but the quality of people and the general friendliness is even better, unlike any other forum I've been a part of.

The first and only time I played with forum members was at Bring It, with JB and Nate. It was a little nerve-racking playing with the boss and an industry stick, and it showed on Saturday!

I knew a bunch of people from another site and migrated here when a couple guys from there created this place.

I can't imagine not being a part of this great community now.

My first time playing with a thper was with MO_Hacker. My first group time was at the original THP gathering in April 2010. JB and GG's house was the main place of socializing.

Happened across THP while researching Cobra F6 irons. Read Jman’s review from the home page to the thread and browsed around. This was the first year I had started taking golf seriously, so was looking for someplace that didn’t seem too over the top, someplace where a novice like myself could ask questions and not be ridiculed by some elitist.

After about a month of bouncing around between a couple other places, I felt I had seen enough from everyone here that I wanted to be apart of it.

First time playing with THPers was at a Spring gathering in Toledo where I got to play with Grins and Xhail in the morning round and then got front row seats to Ddec and 441 setting the course on fire with OG.

I too found this place searching for reviews on Rocketbladez. And I stayed for the community.

I believe I found this forum while trying to research some Cleveland drivers and looking for thoughts on my very first set, CG7 Black Pearls. I lurked for YEARS before deciding to jump in.

My first time playing with THPers was insanely fun! It was Checkered, Skibumgolfer, Hokiegolfer(?), and myself at Homestead Farms. I had never played golf with fellow equipment nerds before and I'll never forget hitting balls/clubs on the range prior to the round with those guys.

Back