How did we ever play golf before the invention of......

Question is... If you end up near a marker or sprinkler, do you still gun the flag ? Does the answer change if you are at the 200 blue stick? 150 white? 100 Red?
I absolutely still check the gps/range it. Do you know how old some of those markers at certain courses? They can be way off. Some are originally. Used to piss me off something fierce in tournaments when I was a kid. Home course players would be the only ones to know.

Last edited:
Playing with people that have never used sprinkler heads or yardage posts...

View attachment 8946086

One of the course here still uses them. Once I got near them I can guesstamate the yardage for it to my ball, now I use GPS & still am usually with a couple of yards from my guess to the GPS.

i have never used a range finder until this year and i use it for every shot after the tee box if its a par 4 or 5.
par 3, hybrids, irons, wedges- every shot
i dont know how i played golf without one to be honest.
other than like i said in a previous post i just stepped off yardages and hoped for the best. it wouldve worked fine if you play smaller greens but if you play larger greens your a club difference at least....

I’ve actually played a few rounds in the not so distant past where neither my part nor I had a range finder or gps. I have an app, but it’s not very reliable so I didn’t use it. Still played well. Just had to take more into account on my own - pin placement, elevation, angles, etc. Was kind of a cool little challenge. A few times it was at Pinehurst, so it added to the nostalgia and old school feel of it.

I use the GolfpadGPS app more than anything, but once in a while, I'll shoot a flag just to check.

I do remember the days of pacing off from sprinklers or stakes to get the yardage.

Playing with people that have never used sprinkler heads or yardage posts...

View attachment 8946086

This was the only way I knew how growing up. Pace it off from one or the other & use your eyes. :eek: Strange .... I played better back then. :unsure: Maybe technology is hurting my game in some ways. Probably why I don't bring my laser finder out very much. :rolleyes:

Fun thread, I am a laser junkie and still miss so many greens...usually right or left pin high but a miss is a miss.

My whole golfing life I've played off yardage markers and sprinkler heads. Now that I have an electronic device this year, I still find myself walking off the yardage ;)

Many courses had 200, 150 and 100 yd markers. Some had sprinkler heads with yardage on them too. You learned to step off from those markers to your ball and estimate yardage to the pin. The yard markers were to the middle of the green. So, again, you needed to estimate distance if the flag looked front or back.

Many courses had 200, 150 and 100 yd markers. Some had sprinkler heads with yardage on them too. You learned to step off from those markers to your ball and estimate yardage to the pin. The yard markers were to the middle of the green. So, again, you needed to estimate distance if the flag looked front or back.

I think its so helpful to vizualize what a yardage looks like for those inbetweeners

We used on-course yardage markers and just guestimated the distance.

i have never used a range finder until this year and i use it for every shot after the tee box if its a par 4 or 5.
par 3, hybrids, irons, wedges- every shot....
For layup shots, I just take a quick glance at my watch for GPS yardage to get a rough idea of what I need to hit to my comfortable layup distance (if I'm 280 out and want to get to 110, I need somewhere around 170 yards - close enough). I use the rangefinder for approach shots, par 3s, and distances to hazards.

Fun thread, I am a laser junkie and still miss so many greens...usually right or left pin high but a miss is a miss.
Knowing the exact yardage definitely doesn't mean I'm going to hit what I'm aiming at, that's for sure!

Paced out the yardages. I still do this from time to time as I do not own a rangefinder

When I was learning to play, it was always the white stake for 200, yellow for 150 and red for 100. And anywhere in between was a guesstimate at best. It was only after I got my first watch I realised how inaccurate they were, could be 20 or 30 yards out depending on the hole. Added to that, my depth perception is absolutely horrendous, I couldn't tell you by looking at a flag if it was 130 or 180 yards away, makes it near impossible to guess a club, so became almost panickingly dependent on the watch and to this day I still feel very uneasy playing without one. Even if I know full well the distance, a little glance just makes sure and gives me the confidence that at least I'm holding the right club for the job.

None of this witch craft. I use my eyes and a 150 marker. I guess that’s why my game isn’t improving... I am trying to use gps on my phone.
If there is a good 150 marker I don't need the tech. Honestly it makes you pay more attention to the shot when you figure it out yourself. My favorite 150 markers are a pole in the middle or 2 bushes on each side of the fairway.

How did we ever play golf before...Metal woods. Such a funny thing to call them too.

I didn’t have a range finder before December. It was a hot mess at times. Now with the range finder, The Grint, and so forth it’s really helped. Yesterday I was comparing the Grint to my laser pin and they were within a yard.

Back