How Did You Choose Your Bag?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems we put so much thought into our clubs, shafts, balls and rightfully so, because it’s performance based. How did you choose your bag though? Price only? Pockets? Brand name on it?

Number of dividers, and magnetic pockets.

Just went through the buying process a couple of months ago. My musts were 14-way divider top, works well with a push cart, a cooler pocket (not just a sleeve), some strong waterproof properties and a desireable color combination. Never was really concerned about the waterproof aspect until the amount of rain we have experienced this year. Reasonable price was also a consideration. Wasn't looking for the cheapest but also did not consider really high end either.

Last edited:
Great question, I went for months looking for the right bag - never did find it. Just did NOT want another 14/15 way top, and I wanted a stand bag. I bought a Vessel whatever 2.0 from amazon during prime day - price was FANTASTIC, but the bag did not wow me for the price and it was smaller than I had imagined. Sadly back it went. I really wanted a bag that did not feature an equipment brand (basically limited to Vessel and Sun Mountain). If I had found a Sun Mountain 130 with legs (and NOT a 14 way top) it'd been in play today. I could not find any Sun Mountains to demo. I did find a Titleist Hybrid 5 - it's been great. The fact that I play 3 of their clubs certainly has not hurt. I really think I want the Mizuno Tour Stand bag - but again, can't find one to demo. I plan to carry Mizuno clubs for a long, long time!

I wanted a bag that had the convenience of a staff bag, without the pretentiousness. I also wanted a 7-way top. I love the thump the club makes on the bottom sliding into a 7 or 5 way bag. 14-way bags irritate me because even though you only have one club out, somehow you can never seem to find the open slot.

I ended up with a 7-way C130. I probably will try to find something a little bit lighter for my next bag though and sacrifice some storage.

I chose my first Sun Mountain C-130 based on reviews and seeing the overall quality and storage space of the bag in person. I'm on my third C-130 now, keep buying them because they're such great bags. Both of my previous ones were handed down to friends and as far as I know are still in play - I bought my second one just because I wanted something new and was tired of the color of the first one, and bought the third one because I had switched to an oversize putter grip and it didn't fit in the putter well of the second one.

The C-130 is very sturdy, has tons of storage space and I like how it's laid out. I prefer the 14-way top because I can tell at a quick glance that I have all my clubs - if I see an empty slot, I immediately know something's missing, rather than discovering it too late. I check it every time I walk back to the cart off a green, haven't lost a club in years.

My current bag was given to me. I have been looking to get a new one here lately so this question interests me.

I guess I'm not really sure what I'm looking for or what will sell me on one. Sometimes I think I'd like a cart bag since my plan is to get a push-cart for next season and use it around the club instead of a golf cart. Then sometimes I think I'd like the versatility of a stand bag because once in a blue moon maybe I'll want to walk and I always think they look cool when I see them at the range.

The only thing I know for sure is that I want a 14 divider bag. I don't like having everything lumped together in 4 or 5 dividers.

I wanted a bag that looked nice, 14 way top, good waterproofing and good storage. The Vessel Lux XV has everything, only downside is the price but so far I have no regrets on the price. Got caught in a torrential downpour in Minnesota and everything stayed dry. If it can survive that I am not worried about getting caught in a light rain at all.

Waterproof and lightweight. Those were my main 2 objectives. Because I walk a lot and play all winter when drizzle is common. Keep my zapper and phone dry. From there I generally choose basic black and white or close to it. I have Seamus wool covers on all my woods. They pop against the basic bags.

Ogio silencer. Awesome bag.

Carry bag is the Vessel. Liked it from THP spotlight. Bag is pretty good, not sure I would order again if had a do over. Very limited picket space.

I had seen a couple of buddies with Vessel bags and loved how good they looked and how they seemed to be such great quality. Bags are the one thing I don't cycle through so I wanted something that would last and look good. Plus I like having something different that you don't see in our area much.

I had seen a couple of buddies with Vessel bags and loved how good they looked and how they seemed to be such great quality. Bags are the one thing I don't cycle through so I wanted something that would last and look good. Plus I like having something different that you don't see in our area much.
I hope yours lasts longer than ours has. That big seeing limited course time is not great. Its a shame actually.

I hope yours lasts longer than ours has. That big seeing limited course time is not great. Its a shame actually.
That's too bad to hear. My buddies have had theirs for a couple years now and they have both put hundreds of rounds on them with no issues. That really sucks you didn't have the same experience.

I ended up with the ping hoofer, thanks to THP. It has enough pockets for me to be happy with but not so many that I don't know what to do with them.

Because my usual playing partners always ride I was considering a 14 slot bag with all the pockets so you can carry everything and the kitchen sink but I'm happy i didn't pull the trigger, sometimes less is more.

Chose it for the non golf club manufacturer logo and woode divider.

I like a top that is 14 way divided, full sleeved, amount of pockets and a mag pocket for quick grab on the laser. balls and sits on the MGI well...PING cart bag Pioneer. I want a stiff bag that will sit on the Cart well, especially that has a couple of good size pockets for jackets and stuff for cold weather golf

Look, features and convenience, longevity.

I want it look how I want it to look first. Then I want it to hold everything in thoughtful ways that I like. 14-way, magnetic pockets, comfortable carry strap, a good rain cover and waterproofing. Which goes back to part of the longevity thing. I want to be able to wipe it down. No pourous fabrics that take on mud/dirt and can't be cleaned easily. I will never have a mesh vinyl bag again. I think the bright mesh highlights on some of the new vessel bags are an abomination. Goes against one of the greatest things about their bags. The rest of a gorgeous leather product that wipes right off/down and the color highlight is going to look dirty within a month and basically forever. 👎. I have over a hundred rounds on my main one and with a little cleaning it looks nearly brand new. The cart strap sleeves are a nice touch with theirs too, and helps them stay looking new.

My current bag was swag at the Titleist ultimate distance event in 2019.

My previous bag that I still have and keep a back up set in is a ping staff bag that’s almost all white I had wanted since I was 12 years old.

Tried to watch/read as many reviews as possible which I have to say is few.
In the end i decided my Titleist Players 4 plus was the best one for me.
I really like it but if I would have spent some more money I would have bought the Vessel stand bag. Just looks awesome and the reviews seemed good. But was almost double the price.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I have several. For cart bags, I go for a 14 way top and lots of storage. My favorite feature of my main cart bag (c130) would have to be the cart straps. Went with the USA theme on that one.

My favorite carry bag, just based on looks and features would be the THP hoofer. Haven't had it out on the course yet, but based solely on looks and features, it beats the sun mountain 4.5 hands down for me.

20210722_115901.jpg

As a bonus, the USA theme goes with my c130 :)

I joined a THP Experience and have been rocking that bag!

Looks, convenience, features, price.

I went with Sun Mountain because I wanted a 14-way divider that could be used on a push cart and found that it had every feature I could ask for. Pockets for days, cooler pouch, range finder pocket, light weight, and great colours.

Well it’s gotta look good but over everything else it has to be practical and in my opinion multifunctional.

Ive never liked the idea of a cart bag and I occasionally walk and don’t love using a push cart. Would much rather carry the bag. So a bag the has ample space for organization, stuff etc is important. Then on to dual functionality. I’ll never buy stand bag that doesn’t also stand up on its own as if a cart bag would. If it fits into a cart and isn’t leaning because it doesn’t sit flat back there, it’s a no go for me. This narrows it down pretty far. Brand? There’s certain brands I avoid like the plague now. With experience comes knowledge and I’m very bag brand agnostic. But, if it fits the criteria and matches my clubs brand (irons) well then that a plus. If not? No biggie.

Sun Mountain
Titleist
Mizuno
Ogio

every single of the following have been poor quality and really wear badly:

taylormade
Wilson
Callaway

Back in the day, it was based on durability, pockets and price.

I did not put enough weight on the club dividers though... Despite mine being full length, I only have 8 slots and that is a real pain.

Back