How Did Your 2020 Golf Season Go? (the good and bad)

Knot Right

Reaction score
With the season beginning to wind down for many of us, I hope everyone here on THP had a great golf season with many more to come.

I'd love to hear about how everyone's year went. Goals achieved, or not? Interesting and funny situations. etc. etc. etc.

My year:

I got back into the game for the 3rd time in 13 years and and actually fell in love with playing again.

My goal of getting back to a single digit handicap failed. 10.9 final handicap. (mid season slump)

I had my best year ever with the driver after switching back to a fade. Most fairways ever with a driver.

Reuniting with all my old golf buddies was the most special thing for me this year.

Broke a carpal bone in my wrist about 4 weeks ago which ended my year which really sucks.

Getting back into tinkering on clubs. and experimenting with a 1/2 dozen shafts types and various irons has been a lot of fun.

Had one of the best zingers ever directed at me by a retired "Gunny Sgt." friend. Built like Tom Weiskopf and swings like Mickey Rooney.

If next year only turns out to be 1/2 as much fun, I'll still be in great shape. :)

How about you guys/girls?

I had a great golf 2020! Handicap-wise, I’m right where I started the year, but I’ve played 25 rounds this year compared to the 22 rounds I played from 2015-2019. I shot three 82’s this year, which is a great score for me (only broke 80 three times many years ago). My golf trips were all cancelled, but I managed to get together a few times with some high school buddies. My Dad had a shoulder replacement and is fully recovered, so we played a few times before he has the other one done. Added a new driver and putter to the bag and I have a trip to California planned in late 2021. Things are looking up!

Terrible. I only really got 12 full rounds of 18 holes in this year. My handicap went up by 9.4 from when I added Arcoss sensors (which covers the last 10 rounds I played.)
Time for some (more) lessons and more practice in the off season. :unsure:

Overall, I was very pleased. I have a toddler, so it’s cut into golfing time the last couple of years and happily so.

In 2018, I was playing once a week minimum. 2019 saw a decline. This year, I only logged 20 rounds to date. Despite the infrequent play, I was able to bring my GHIN to the lowest it’s ever been (8.7) and broke 80 twice (only did it once previously). The difference I noticed was, after a bad round I would think “man, I really played poorly,” and I still scored at least decent. That, to me, was the sign that I was playing well and getting better - when I would walkaway from a round here or there thinking I hit the ball terribly and still post a decent score.

The positives:
- Limited double bogeys
- More consistent off the tee. Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 4-hybrid. Overall better and more accurate.
- GIR percentage increased. 7-8 per round as opposed to 5-ish in years past.
- Better job “setting up the next shot”
- Playing “damage control” if a hole started going poorly (i.e. didn’t let a “blow up hole” happen). To quote Bagger Vance, “three lousy shots and one brilliant shot can still save par.” Not that I hit many brilliant shots, but never took myself out of a hole

The negatives:
- Putting... worst putting season I’ve had in recent years. Hard to maintain consistency and feel when you don’t play frequently. But, even so, it still should’ve been better than it was.
- Chipping... Sams thing as above. Not quite as severe as my downward slide with putting, but not as sharp and controlled as in previous years, especially for an area which I considered a major strength of my game in the past.
- Scorecard watching... I got in a bad habit of watching the scorecard a little too closely. Once you break 80 more than once (and pretty close together time wise) along with an 80 and a handful of 81’s, you feel like you should be breaking 80 each time out, or at least that’s the goal. I got bad about paying a little too close attention to my overall score and saying “okay, I need to play the remaining holes at plus whatever to shoot 79.” Need to cut that out and play each hole one at a time. No past, no future, only present.

Its warm enough in my area to still get a few more rounds in through November, so hoping to get back out there at least a couple more times!

Positives:
I joined a club this year to play more this year. I played more rounds this year than last.
I got to play an entire year with some awesome Cobra equipment.
I have some new PUMA apparel.
With all that is going on in the world I appreciated the respite that the golf course provided.

Negatives:
I had one huge disappointment in that I was unable to participate in a THP experience that I truly looked forward to.

Great year for me. Golfed at least twice a week, and many rounds with my 8 year old son. Even some family rounds with all of us (adding our 6 year old and wife to the mix). Didn't practice much, just golf, but the handicap went down 4 strokes to a 14. I bet next year I could get to single digits with a little practice.

I just started learning golf in mid-June and played for the first time on Monday, Sep. 28. Have played another four times, since.

Had a bit of a rocky start, almost gave it up, recovered, and am now having a rockin' good time :). I hope to play least one more time this year. Maybe a few more times, with a little luck. Will depend upon Mother Nature.

With scoring and swing stuff I've continued to build on last year. I worked hard over the winter and early spring to retool my driver game and it has gone from a moderate weakness to a strength. My intermediate and greenside wedge games held me back last year too, and I've improved them dramatically. The intermediate wedge and driver things were my worst and I might say they're my two strongest now. Well above any expectations I had for them. My scoring has improved and is a ton more consistent with those two things helping out. That has allowed me to not do something this entire calendar year on course which I think is pretty amazing but will no longer say outloud until it happens, 'cause I don't want it to happen. :LOL:

I broke a plate and got an infection but it settled and other than that have had a much healthier year than last. Couple things have needed serious short-term adjusting to, but I wasn't ever off the shelf long, so that's a big win. I doubled down in the offseason and changed my workout routine intending to stave off injury, so that feels like a win so far too. And it's allowed me to play over 100 rounds this year, which is pretty crazy to me.

I've moved locations so I've played and learned a lot of new courses, and had the opportunity to meet a ton of really nice golf people. I feel much more a part of the golf world here, so that's been very nice. I get to actually try new things as they come out, play with a wider variety of skill levels, and get in person data and feedback on everything from equipment to on course strategy and local tricks. With the equipment testing though I need to just try more, and buy less. lol

Since we live on a golf course right now my wife has continued to play more, which is awesome. I love our Sundays on the course with the dog. Wouldn't have thought to dream of that to start the year, and am really grateful for them. Tons of great moments and memories.

Overall, it's been a great year. I've accomplished most of the goals I set and have played more golf than every year of the past 20+ combined, so I feel very blessed.

Overall, I was very pleased. I have a toddler, so it’s cut into golfing time the last couple of years and happily so.

In 2018, I was playing once a week minimum. 2019 saw a decline. This year, I only logged 20 rounds to date. Despite the infrequent play, I was able to bring my GHIN to the lowest it’s ever been (8.7) and broke 80 twice (only did it once previously). The difference I noticed was, after a bad round I would think “man, I really played poorly,” and I still scored at least decent. That, to me, was the sign that I was playing well and getting better - when I would walkaway from a round here or there thinking I hit the ball terribly and still post a decent score.

The positives:
- Limited double bogeys
- More consistent off the tee. Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 4-hybrid. Overall better and more accurate.
- GIR percentage increased. 7-8 per round as opposed to 5-ish in years past.
- Better job “setting up the next shot”
- Playing “damage control” if a hole started going poorly (i.e. didn’t let a “blow up hole” happen). To quote Bagger Vance, “three lousy shots and one brilliant shot can still save par.” Not that I hit many brilliant shots, but never took myself out of a hole

The negatives:
- Putting... worst putting season I’ve had in recent years. Hard to maintain consistency and feel when you don’t play frequently. But, even so, it still should’ve been better than it was.
- Chipping... Sams thing as above. Not quite as severe as my downward slide with putting, but not as sharp and controlled as in previous years, especially for an area which I considered a major strength of my game in the past.
- Scorecard watching... I got in a bad habit of watching the scorecard a little too closely. Once you break 80 more than once (and pretty close together time wise) along with an 80 and a handful of 81’s, you feel like you should be breaking 80 each time out, or at least that’s the goal. I got bad about paying a little too close attention to my overall score and saying “okay, I need to play the remaining holes at plus whatever to shoot 79.” Need to cut that out and play each hole one at a time. No past, no future, only present.

Its warm enough in my area to still get a few more rounds in through November, so hoping to get back out there at least a couple more times!

Doubles killed me this year. I'd go through 6-7 holes in a row looking like Rembrandt, then 2 holes looking like a drunk at a driving range.

I had a good year. Dropped the HC, it actually traveled better than it every has before.
Love my clubs.

my "season" goes from the first day I played until the day I collapse on the course and get loaded into a hearse

Overall it was a fantastic year, especially considering that 2020 in general has been a giant dumpster fire floating down a river of raw sewage. I did a fitting and bought all new clubs from top to bottom in my bag, joined as a member at my home club, have played 125 rounds so far this year (with more to come), had a great time at our annual guys' trip/tournament, and the overall quality of my game has improved markedly even though my handicap has fluctuated up and down. I reached a new all time low handicap of 15.8, only to have it climb back up to 17.5, but I think I'm primed for a significant improvement next year. I stayed healthy and injury-free all year (knock on wood!), which is always a huge blessing. Here's to 2021!

Pretty good all things considered. I got 36 rounds in this year which is a record for me. Started the year quite shaky but ended the year playing the best golf of my life. Handicap is currently at an all-time low (7.9).

I averaged just under 7 greens in regulation which is a season best for me and was averaging over 8 since the beginning of August. Also averaged almost 1.5 birdies or better per round which is a best for me. Short game has never been better but need to tidy up my bunker play.

Still have way too many penalties though. Averaged 3.6 penalties per round which is the highest average since I started tracking them. Part of this was due to being more aggressive off the tee - a strategy that has on average paid off, but it’s clear that reducing penalties (while keeping my distance) needs to be my #1 priority. Related to this is averaging over 1 triple bogeys or worse which is my highest average since 2016 - though at least my double bogey percentage was down this year.

With scoring and swing stuff I've continued to build on last year. I worked hard over the winter and early spring to retool my driver game and it has gone from a moderate weakness to a strength. My intermediate and greenside wedge games held me back last year too, and I've improved them dramatically. The intermediate wedge and driver things were my worst and I might say they're my two strongest now. Well above any expectations I had for them. My scoring has improved and is a ton more consistent with those two things helping out. That has allowed me to not do something this entire calendar year on course which I think is pretty amazing but will no longer say outloud until it happens, 'cause I don't want it to happen. :LOL:

I broke a plate and got an infection but it settled and other than that have had a much healthier year than last. Couple things have needed serious short-term adjusting to, but I wasn't ever off the shelf long, so that's a big win. I doubled down in the offseason and changed my workout routine intending to stave off injury, so that feels like a win so far too. And it's allowed me to play over 100 rounds this year, which is pretty crazy to me.

I've moved locations so I've played and learned a lot of new courses, and had the opportunity to meet a ton of really nice golf people. I feel much more a part of the golf world here, so that's been very nice. I get to actually try new things as they come out, play with a wider variety of skill levels, and get in person data and feedback on everything from equipment to on course strategy and local tricks. With the equipment testing though I need to just try more, and buy less. lol

Since we live on a golf course right now my wife has continued to play more, which is awesome. I love our Sundays on the course with the dog. Wouldn't have thought to dream of that to start the year, and am really grateful for them. Tons of great moments and memories.

Overall, it's been a great year. I've accomplished most of the goals I set and have played more golf than every year of the past 20+ combined, so I feel very blessed.

I really neglected my wedge game this year and it showed up right when I needed it. I just couldn't create those little low spinning shots with my wedges, or tossing it up high when short sided.

My "get out of jail" game suffered as well. I used to go out on late Sat & Sun afternoons and put my ball in the trees and other bad lies and create shots for a couple hours just for the fun of it. I will get back to it again next year.

I'm glad you had fun pards, and grats on the new house.:)

Overall it was a fantastic year, especially considering that 2020 in general has been a giant dumpster fire floating down a river of raw sewage. I did a fitting and bought all new clubs from top to bottom in my bag, joined as a member at my home club, have played 125 rounds so far this year (with more to come), had a great time at our annual guys' trip/tournament, and the overall quality of my game has improved markedly even though my handicap has fluctuated up and down. I reached a new all time low handicap of 15.8, only to have it climb back up to 17.5, but I think I'm primed for a significant improvement next year. I stayed healthy and injury-free all year (knock on wood!), which is always a huge blessing. Here's to 2021!
125 rounds this year? I think I hate you! :LOL:

Grats pards.

I really neglected my wedge game this year and it showed up right when I needed it. I just couldn't create those little low spinning shots with my wedges, or tossing it up high when short sided.

My "get out of jail" game suffered as well. I used to go out on late Sat & Sun afternoons and put my ball in the trees and other bad lies and create shots for a couple hours just for the fun of it. I will get back to it again next year.

I'm glad you had fun pards, and grats on the new house.:)
It happens so fast!! I don't go to the range much, but the wedge stuff I still go keep dialed in every now and then. It's so easy to fall out of a groove with it. Playing in craptastic weather in Nebraska early this year taught me a lot of useful shots that are easy for the hands to forget if I don't refresh them.

Oh, there's no house yet! We are in an apartment right now because the housing market hasn't moved since March. Same ones with nothing new, really. Ours sold, but we're not enamored with the choices here right now. Thanks.

Last edited:
Goal was to get into single digits and that was accomplished but barely. Had a huge stretch of mediocre play in mid-summer and now that the season is winding down, I'm back to better. Had to cancel golf school in March because of Covid and hoping to start next year with that and see if they can get me to the next level

Bad: Putting was a struggle.

Good: Single digit handicap (6-8 range) with about 1/3 of my rounds <80. Wedges leveled up. Ball striking consistency came online.

Fun: Played club championship, 3 pro-ams, several skins games, and 2 leagues. Prior to this year I had played 1 pro-am; everything else was new. Also made a connection that let me regularly play one of the best/toughest courses in the state.

Warms my heart: Most enjoyable year with THP. You guys are stuck with me. ;)

2020 has been a good year, plenty of rounds so far (86 and counting). Handicap has come down from 12.9 to 8.9, though recently been down to 8.5. I had a lowest score of 74 and a high of 97 playing from the tips. Putting stats have gone up ever so slightly and that trend up is because of an up tick in GIR and I am happy with that.

Golf lessons this year have help me eliminate the right side of the course and now the draw is working wonders. Confidence in ball striking is great and I feel I can do what I want from any part of the course without much worry and if it doesn't come off, ah well no problem I will work on it at the range until I can. My course has some bare lies and I did struggle when I first move here to play this type of lie, not anymore!

A new to me set of Ping G400 irons, a Ping 3 Crossover have also change me game as has the Mizuno ST200 driver that is 6 year newer than my previous driver, its just longer and way more forgiving and that alone has helped my game.

Overall an "A" as it stands and hopefully it will continue :cool:

I didn't reach the goal I set out for. But I can't complain. Golf is year round in my area. It doesn't snow here and if its not raining afternoons are typically mid 50's.
My goal was to play bogey golf. I thought I was on my way before the covid lockdowns. Started scoring in the low 90's. Then it started creeping back up. Even shot a couple rounds at 101. Now I'm at least staying under 100. But I just can't get over the hump. And I can't pinpoint one thing other than inconsistency with the longer clubs in the fairway. Some days I'm chipping good. Some days I'm not.

I will say the putter and driver are not typically the problem. Its never perfect but not bad for a high handicapper. I don't 3 putt that often and I'm usually reliable with the 5 or 6 foot putts as long as there isn't a sharp break. My driver most times is 60 or 70 percent fairway accuracy. I even hit 12 out of 14 fairways last month. That was a day I found my happy swing.

So for this winter, my goal is to work on my long iron game and chipping. If I can get more consistency I know I can reach my goal of bogey golf.

Since we live on a golf course right now my wife has continued to play more, which is awesome. I love our Sundays on the course ...
I envy you that. My wife and I once considered playing, maybe twenty years ago, then abandoned the idea when we found out what greens fees were. Those are no longer a show-stopper, but now she's got a back issue that precludes her making anything close the the kind of movements necessary to swing a club :(

It's awesome seeing everyone break down their accomplishments. Cool thread for sure.

For my first year back to playing golf regularly, I had a great time. I joined the local country club, made some awesome new friends, won (and lost) a little bit of money here and there.

The good:

I picked up relatively well from my earlier days of playing. My first round of the year was in mid-June. Shot a couple mid 80s trying to knock the rust off. Got a new driver and fairway wood (helped a lot, the new technology is great).

The bad:

Consistency and touch. Obviously when you take a long break from the game, you lose your feel in some places. I have lots of work to do on ball-striking, mid-wedge game, full-wedge game, and around the greens. Putting needs to be a little more consistent for me to score in the low 70s. I have to keep the ball in play more. I was averaging hitting it out of bounds 2-4 times per round early on. I've knocked it down to 1-2 now which is helping the scoring.

Goals for next year:

CONSISTENT SCORING! I don't like having scores 10 strokes apart in two consecutive days. I need to practice a good bit more. Trying to be competitive in my club championship. I'm not a + handicap so I don't expect to go out and win, but I'd like to take top 10. I'd need to average 75 for 3 days probably under that pressure. I'd like to get my handicap down to <3. I hope to play more tournaments as well, I really enjoyed the competition aspect again.

Last BIG goal is to keep my 8 year old daughter interested in the game. It's a fine line between pressing it too much but also letting her find the love of the game. She's getting there, but I want to keep fostering that relationship.

I envy you that. My wife and I once considered playing, maybe twenty years ago, then abandoned the idea when we found out what greens fees were. Those are no longer a show-stopper, but now she's got a back issue that precludes her making anything close the the kind of movements necessary to swing a club :(

Same issue with me. I remember years ago buying my wife a ladies set at Costco with the idea of her going out to play with me. She played a few rounds but didn't really care for it. Then she got into a car accident. 2 back surgeries and 2 hip replacements later, now any chance of her swinging a club is nil. Now she's recovering from shoulder surgery.

A lot of positives in 2020.
I was selected to Captain the Grandaddy
Got to a plus handicap
Played a lot of golf

Had a small slump to begin the summer but that is about the only negative.

Back