How do cold balls make you feel?

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
And what I mean by that is what do you do to adjust when playing in temperatures 50 degrees F and below? How does wet vs dry affect you when its that cold? Adjust the ball flight? Do you have to go up a club or two? Do you change balls to something different that works better for you in cold weather? Or do you do nothing at all and just bash it harder? I find myself playing in more conditions where temps are between 40 and 50 and I do notice a pretty decent impact on the ball distance, spin, and feel. What about you?

Good clarification. But, to answer your question, I take more club.

Cold balls are hard. Sometimes I'll play a softer ball in these cases. When the temp drops it doesn't seem to go as far and I usually club up. Haven't really noticed a difference in spin though.

This is where forgoing a range warmup kills me, but I generally use the same ball and club up. Usually takes a few holes to make the adjustment.

giphy.gif

but for golf balls, take a half club more.

At 50* I will play an extra club. They just don’t go as far for me. If it is wet and 50 I will adjust my launch to get as much as possible. Dry conditions will play a stock shot off the tee.

Keep them in your pocket from leaving the house, partially solved

Play a slightly softer ball is the first thing. Living where I do, I have to know my cold weather distance and my warm weather distances with my irons if I want to play in the early season where it could be 36 one day and 60 the next. In general, it ends up amounting to about a club difference so I just club up.

long johns generally do the trick, but a couple hand warmers if I’m in dire straits....oh you meant.....nvm

I play the chromesoft x generally, but in cold conditions I’ll move to the standard chromesoft and generally club up as well. Maybe even two clubs so I don’t have to swing hard.

Once the temp dips below 55 or 50 here in New England, I generally will play a softer ball. I currently game the Vice Pro Plus, but I will usually switch to either the Vice Pro or the Chromesoft in colder temps. Often club up, but I use my Arccos for the best club suggestion.

I usually step down to a QST or RX compared to Z Star XV / P V1x

So confused

you play golf when its below 50???

Extra club is the solution for me. I will at times use a softer ball.

I usually step down to a QST or RX compared to Z Star XV / P V1x

Do any of you stepping down in compression or changing spin profile, do you actually notice it helps make up for lost ball speed? Or just feel better?

I have always been of the opinion that my swing being slower was the main problem when cold out. I don't tend to switch balls based on compression. I possibly should based on spin?

Never even got past the thread title....

Do any of you stepping down in compression or changing spin profile, do you actually notice it helps make up for lost ball speed? Or just feel better?

I have always been of the opinion that my swing being slower was the main problem when cold out. I don't tend to switch balls based on compression. I possibly should based on spin?
might be a psychological thing, but i feel like I cannot compress the ball with my swing on cold day and RX and QST fly.

The main reason for distance loss during winter is air density. The ball may feel harder, but that won't actually affect the distance, just your hands. Less spin will create less drag and give back some of the distance loss from the cold air. It's similar to playing in wind.

was afraid to open the thread;)

I play a low compression ball and ton of winter golf. We consider 50 ideal playing temps. i do nothing with my ball and it feels great all year long. Sometimes in baked out August conditions I will go to a higher spinning ball but do nothing for colder temps

And what I mean by that is what do you do to adjust when playing in temperatures 50 degrees F and below? How does wet vs dry affect you when its that cold? Adjust the ball flight? Do you have to go up a club or two? Do you change balls to something different that works better for you in cold weather? Or do you do nothing at all and just bash it harder? I find myself playing in more conditions where temps are between 40 and 50 and I do notice a pretty decent impact on the ball distance, spin, and feel. What about you?

:unsure:I store them inside the house the night before, and put them in my pocket during the round, next to the other balls:oops: to keep them warm and cozy:ROFLMAO:

You will need to take more club anyway.

I don't change balls either. It doesn't add distance, just feels softer. I don't swing as fast when it's cold and I'm wearing layers, and adjust from there. Balls tend to spin a little less in those conditions already, so the last thing I want to do is go to a squish ball. I just club up to match what I'm putting into it.

I don't change balls either. It doesn't add distance, just feels softer. I don't swing as fast when it's cold and I'm wearing layers, and adjust from there. Balls tend to spin a little less in those conditions already, so the last thing I want to do is go to a squish ball. I just club up to match what I'm putting into it.

That has always been my thought process as well. I guess I'm not put off by the feel changing either, it just is what it is. I knew I clubbed up because I swing slow with layers on, old body doesn't like cold, etc. I had not thought about air density however, that's a double whammy. So now I don't feel quite as old and creaky, because the air is to blame for half of it 😜

Back