How do I help prepare my friend for the Grandaddy of Em All

chasDog

It's all Good!
Reaction score
Handicap
My friend and occasional golf partner was selected for the Grandaddy. What advice could I give him that would make him successful at the event.

Remember the 10 commandments of THP Events

My friend and occasional golf partner was selected for the Grandaddy. What advice could I give him that would make him successful at the event.
Tell him about rule #1. Dont be a Richard

Make sure he is ready for the best week of his life.

In all seriousness, it is an absolute privilege and an honor to be picked. I know Chris knows that he can talk to multiple people in DFW who have been able to be in it.. and we can help answer any questions.

The golf side is something that is just going to involve practice, maybe some match play for a beer or a few bucks, but I think more important is making sure he is up to speed on the social media and forum engagement, as that is what keeps the even alive.

rule 1 is important indeed.

seriously, try to play him in matches, in different format, I think it can seriously help. The fisrt time I played alt shots, shambles and pinehursts, it took a few holes to get used to it, having played them can help if they are the formats chosen at the hideaway

seriously, try to play him in matches, in different format, I think it can seriously help. The fisrt time I played alt shots, shambles and pinehursts, it took a few holes to get used to it, having played them can help if they are the formats chosen at the hideaway

This is good advice. Play different formats to help him see where his game will be best suited as a partner, and what he needs to work on.

Make him practice his short game... like a lot. Once you are there in the moment you really want to trust your short game and putting...

Make him practice his short game... like a lot. Once you are there in the moment you really want to trust your short game and putting...

I was going to say the same thing! ha ha BUT we talked about that in length leading up to it, soooooo you know that already!

Short game is key! You'll be fitted to the clubs you're using, so trust your swing and the clubs. However, you short game is on another level with fitting. You'll want to be ready for perfect, fast greens. Don't worry about the line, the caddies there know their greens, but you'll want to groove a smooth stroke and feel before you go.

Last edited:

We should be able to get enough of us together at the Tribute to try these formats....

Forget everything he thinks he knows about this event. Show up in SoCal and be blown away.

Help him make his practice sessions count and not just getting into a groove when on the range. Do little short game contests and stuff just to keep it interesting and to apply a bit of pressure on him. He's gonna need to be used to a bit of pressure leading up to the event, just so he's familiar with it and how he can adjust his game when there's a bit on the line.

I haven't been to the Grandaddy. I have been to one THP event and have no idea if my participation there met official standards or not. With that caveat, my advice is for your friend to be himself and focus on enjoying the event as fully as he can. Expectations of others are not worth worrying about. This is a once in lifetime opportunity. Make the most of it, and leave the concept of regret or rules and norms at home. Live it!

Ps. I don't think Team Unity needs unity to be successful. I think that team needs edge and spunk. Zoocrew is formidable.

Forget everything he thinks he knows about this event. Show up in SoCal and be blown away.

This man is wise. Had to remind me earlier.

Play difficult courses, play out of the "comfort zone", Learn how to handle the bad shots as well as the good ones... and have a blast in your prep, because the event is truly an honor, provledge, and the best time of your life!

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming. The greatness of the THP site shines through again!

Lots of good advice already. Short game is key for sure. Play courses he isn't familiar with, at around 6500 yards.

Back