How do you "cloud"

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know about the cloud. I used to refuse to use it but I have since given in and now I pay for iCloud which annoys me but its convenient. I'd rather have access to everything quickly from my device than to have to find an old flash drive, dvd or what have you. So how do you store your stuff? iCloud? Google? Other?

I have everything on Google. It's really good and useful. Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Photos, YouTube Music.

I used Dropbox for a while, then switched to iCloud. Easy access to files from either my phone or tablet.

Google Drive all the way.

I’m an iClouder. I have my family on my plan and we have a shared data storage amount.

I wish I clouded more at work. We have been allegedly moving our data warehouses at work to Microsoft's cloud service for 3 years now. Right now if we build a Power BI dashboard or tool it sets on a Microsoft server and is accessed through the Edge browser. The problem is the data is on Humana's servers so when the queries refresh they have to pull sometimes huge amounts of data from one spot to the next. If everything was on the Microsoft server they could be linked and the tool could be manipulating data in real time almost instantly. Would be a much better setup and it would drastically decrease development time for new tools.

And home I use Google cloud for all my online files and photos. That way I never worry about my phone.

I use iCloud. I have many Apple products and its just easier.....

I use a mix of iCloud and Google Drive.

Its funny because I was such an anti cloud guy for a long time but man it makes life easier

Its funny because I was such an anti cloud guy for a long time but man it makes life easier

it does, until it fills up and you get hounded to pay for more lol

I currently use google, but I am thinking of changing to iCloud.

it does, until it fills up and you get hounded to pay for more lol
Yes I just received the your storage is almost full (which is what prompted this thread haha)....BUT you can upgrade for another $4.99/mo :rolleyes:

Data to me is in many ways the same as music and films.

I was MUCH happier to have them on hard media like CDs, DVDs, LPs, and in the case of data,
even minidiscs, and before that, floppy disks. Yes, even floppy disks were better than speadsheets.

I like stuff out of cyberspace and on my shelves instead.
Most people apparently didn't, and thus we have a changed world.

Unfortunately I can't with a lot of the stuff I'd actually want to, but I use Google for some work stuff, and we Samsung a lot of our personal stuff because just about everything in our lives other than the toilets runs on Samsung.

Yes I just received the your storage is almost full (which is what prompted this thread haha)....BUT you can upgrade for another $4.99/mo :rolleyes:

now I get hounded for 9.99 a month. I've refused so far. I think 90% of my storage is photos/videos.

now I get hounded for 9.99 a month. I've refused so far. I think 90% of my storage is photos/videos.
Yeah the majority of mine is the same. Problem is I just was going through some stuff and found old DVD's full of pictures from when the kids were little. Well...my Mac doesn't have an optical drive anymore haha so yeah

It's part of my Apple One subscription. I can't say I enjoy paying $30 a month for everything but I use all of the services regularly and very much enjoy the convenience so it is what it is.

presently, I refuse.

I imagine that will eventually change, but I see no reason at this time.
One major HD failure and a lousy local server backup was all the reason I needed to use cloud service.

Yeah the majority of mine is the same. Problem is I just was going through some stuff and found old DVD's full of pictures from when the kids were little. Well...my Mac doesn't have an optical drive anymore haha so yeah
It probably has a port to add an outboard one, however. PCs do, at least.

I use iCloud for photos and music. My wife has some old work projects she wanted preserved, so I put those into Amazon Glacier which costs almost nothing to store tons of data. The cost comes if you want to retrieve it.

We use iCloud as we are married to the Apple platform. We love the ease of use and availability of things like our 150,000 pictures across all devices.

Google everything for me since I"m an android user currently. I would like to go back to apple next time I upgrade phones and will need to figure out how to keep it all on google still.

Back